Andrew Jackson Jihad
Only God Can Judge Me

by robin EMERITUS
August 22nd, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Andrew Jackson Jihad deliver optimistic woe yet again.

Not all too curiously, Andrew Jackson Jihad’s imprint on folk punk is one less focused on song writing and more on caring. Straight from my first experiences of the duo on People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World they sounded like every chord they struck had to count (and usually it had to count as the loudest chord possible). The band are just joyfully self-aware, spouting their opinions as if the first opinions ever - no matter how repeated and decadent their words should be. Whether they sing of society sarcastically or sincerely, the music needs no thinking through.

Only God Can Judge Me really condenses everything about Andrew Jackson Jihad's sound into even less time than usual. What with absolutely everything stripped down - from acoustic guitars to political war cries - the seven songs fizzle down to strumming and wailing with as much opinion as possible; at one point "growing up ***ing sucks" and at another the band turn their thoughts to loving animal testing, but it's valid by the booming double-bass or the slapped and strummed guitar. The EP goes upbeat as ever in all the typically abnormal slots: "Growing Up" is all about aggressive angst but played fast and cheery, "Jesus Saves (God Hates Us All)" skims through chords in celebration of depression, as if twinned with "Rejoice" from the releases' equally abrasive predecessor. Only God Can Judge Me could be your introduction to the band, a second shorter attempt or whatever: it’s seven catchy thoughts and that must be a good thing.

The Mountain Goats Get LonelyThe Smith Street Band Throw Me in the River
Sharon Van Etten Are We ThereHis Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of Arson
Superchunk I Hate MusicThe Weakerthans Reconstruction Site

Roach

nice review, okay band

great review
love this band
but someone needs to review can't maintain

August 22nd 2009

its not out yet but its awesome

agreed
i just dunno if i like the idea of a whole band playing

August 22nd 2009

yeah some of the electric bits took me at shock but after i heard "we didnt come here to rock you" i never questioned their authority again. "sense and sensibility" is probably my favourite.

August 22nd 2009

AGREED. i love that song to death. the pink couch sessions version was orgasmic

August 22nd 2009

i havent heard that if you're talking about we didnt come here to rock you. if it's the other, is that the version from the operation stackola EP? also, have you heard their cover of two-headed boy, because i adore that

HenchmanOfSanta

1902 Comments

Great review, but this band is a good example of why folk punk is abysmal.

nah, sense, sensibility
watch this

and henchman, go to hell
these guys are fucking amazing

August 22nd 2009

thats a pretty cool rendition, i think i prefer it on record though, i prefer it when they just blurt things out really loudly. i do like that bit where he hums in this version though!

August 22nd 2009

all i can look at are his hands and how crazy his strumming is...

August 22nd 2009

he goes pretty crazy on this one, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-yn8g-RVc - love that rendition

shit, wicked beard.
i wanna see them live so badly

thebbqshrimp
August 22nd 2009

They fucking rule live. Saw them at this tiny little arcade in fuckin' San Jose. Owned.

Great album, great band, great review.

@ HenchmanOfSanta: DIAF.

TrojanWhore
August 23rd 2009

My regards exactly (to the statement above).

Can't Maintain is definitely a wicked album, haven't heard this one but might look into it out of pure curiosity.

Anglachel
September 23rd 2009

The review leaves me wondering as to whether AJJ did bad or good on the EP
But since the review means jack fucking shit to me the EPs osum

wabbit
April 30th 2012

this is so good m/

GhettoHmbrglr
June 19th 2014

Man this one is a bummer.

Supercoolguy64