Job for a Cowboy
Ruination

good

by Eternalnow USER (7 Reviews)
August 22nd, 2009 | 29 replies

Review Summary: Ruination is not awesome, nor is it great; rather its a decent death metal album, one that will not turn any heads or raise any eyebrows but one that will certainly satisfy that desire for a death metal fix.

Let's face it; Job For A Cowboy are not part of the death metal elite. They are more or less an average death metal band; I wouldn't even classify them as technical death metal as most do because I don't hear anything particularly 'technical' in their work. Ruination is their second LP, and while it improves upon their somewhat generic 'Genesis' full length it doesn't really expand into new territory. Job For A Cowboy haven't really put out any masterpieces since their inception. 'Genesis' was so generic it was painful to listen to, and don't even get me started on their 'Doom' LP, which was deathcore at its worst. So imagine my surprise when I popped in 'Ruination' and was treated to a decent death metal outing, one that I would actually want to listen to. Imagine that.

On Ruination the band eschew their deathcore sound and embrace something that could only be classified as death metal. Crushing riffs, blast beats and deep growls permeate the album, and the end result is a rather decent, if not average death metal album. The problem is that the album sounds so monotonous. For one, the music is bland and each song blends into the next like nobodies business. To add insult to injury there are no stand out tracks or performances to be found here. Sure, there are moments that are decent and enjoyable, but overall each song is flat out generic with generic death metal riffs, blast beats and monotone growling. Oh, did I mention each song sounds very monotone-like, almost blending into the background? Sure, the music is crushing, brutal, intense, heavy, hard, etc, but where is the soul?

Still, there is enjoyment to be found on Ruination; a slowed groove here, a decent guitar riff there; they are few and far in between but nevertheless they save Ruination from being a complete failure. I still find myself popping in Ruination from time to time, but it quickly gets tiring, just as it did upon the first listen.

Tool LateralusTextures Silhouettes
Anaal Nathrakh In the Constellation of the Black WidowOpeth Blackwater Park
Abigail Williams In the Shadow of a Thousand SunsEmperor Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
3.2
good
Darion Paone (3)
Job for a Cowbpy changes styles YET AGAIN, but still sound pretty awesome, all things considered....

TBliss (3.5)
A handful stand out moments cannot quite save a run-of-the-mill Death Metal affair....

godiseverywhere (4)
Think Suffocation mixed with early Cryptopsy, and a dash of Beneath the Massacre....

genericnamelol (3.5)
A surprisingly solid technical death metal album....

August 23rd 2009

i don't know if you know, but this band makes me want to pour bleach down my urinary tract.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

You complain too much

August 23rd 2009

never, have i ever, a day in my life complained...

lies
but no seriously, I don't ever think I've seen you post something like "band is good" or "cool album." So negative

August 23rd 2009

this could of several reasons.
1. we might not have the same music tastes.
2. you may catch me in my moody periods
or
C. there isn't really a third point I just really wanted to be cliche.
haha but just for you i'm going to go make a positive comment.

August 23rd 2009

Apparently you are moody all the time

thebbqshrimp
August 23rd 2009

Ooo gotta disagree with you 'bout the Doom EP, my friend. Shit slays. "Entombment Of A Machine" is an outrageously good song.

That being said, pretty much agree with you on the whole 'bout this album. Decent death metal. Nice review.

thebbqshrimp
August 23rd 2009

Yep. I'd consider it decent.

TrojanWhore
August 23rd 2009

I'd consider it very decent, burn me like a witch for saying it, I dare you.

BURN THE WHORE!

August 23rd 2009

btw if you guys liked this you should get

Conducting From the Grave- when legends become dust
The Crimson Armada- Guardians
Sons of Azrael- The Conjuration

Asiatic667
August 23rd 2009

and don't forget Killswitch engages new allbum thats Dethmetal at its brootahl brootalest

fail

HenchmanOfSanta
August 23rd 2009

Why do noobies always put the last paragraph as their summary?

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

FadeToBlack
August 23rd 2009

why does it matter? it's a good summary

jingledeath

meh album

ButcheredChildren
August 23rd 2009

yea you talk like you got something stuck up your ass :P lighten up

Fxxkit13
August 23rd 2009

this band is pretty awful

TrojanWhore

BURN THE WHORE!

Remember, I'm a Trojan. I'm not what you think I am d1psh1t.

lol wut