Jet
Shaka Rock

2.0
poor

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
August 21st, 2009 | 148 replies | 19,621 views

Review Summary: How low can you go?

In general, making assumptions about somebody's personality and intellect based on their musical tastes is unfair. No amount of "scientific" journalism can really prove that listening to Sufjan Stevens will make you smarter and no amount of baseless insulting on internet forums will prove that somebody is legitimately stupid for enjoying Def Leppard. As the saying goes: "to each his own." However, I had trouble concentrating on said fact when I gave Jet's latest album Shaka Rock a thorough listen-through. Though I kept an open mind when the opening notes of 'K.I.A. (Killed In Action)' sounded, by the time third song 'She's A Genius' came to a close, I drew a conclusion: if you truly enjoy Shaka Rock, I am genuinely worried for you.

As the album played on, however, I learned that this conclusion was maybe just a bit off -- there are some inarguably tolerable moments on the record. Tracks like 'Seventeen' and 'Goodbye Hollywood' are actually quite decent, even if they find Jet predictably emulating the Rolling Stones and countless other classic rock acts. Unfortunately, other highlights on the record aren't found in entire songs but rather in particular segments of Shaka Rock. For example, the piano introduction of 'Walk' starts with incredible potential before dwindling into the deplorable abyss of poor songwriting and 'Let Me Out' boasts a catchy, non-irritating chorus that sticks out like a sore thumb amongst it's tacky and lifeless verses. Ultimately though, these moments are not good, they're just not as bad as the rest of Shaka Rock ends up being.

Instead of taking the constructive criticism offered up by obviously reputable critics such as Ray Suzuki, Jet have decided to further their sound into the murk of self-parodying. As with every Jet album, there is a song that purposefully tries to recreate the success of 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl?' and this time around it's 'She's a Genius', a stale and obviously familiar rock single led by an incredibly, incredibly boring riff that fails to engross any sort of interest before it comes to a close -- essentially all of the songs on 'Shaka Rock' work under this formula. Nic Cester still whines and moans like a nasally, raspier Kenny Loggins, Cameron Muncey still writes bad solos and Zeppelin-rip off riffs and the band as a whole tries so hard to sound nostalgic and instead sound childishly unoriginal. Just like every Jet album that came before it, it's indisputable that 'Shaka Rock's biggest fault is it's failure to be creative and it's dependence on their exhausted, faux-classic rock sound. With too little cohesiveness and too much nostalgia, 'Shaka Rock' proves to be an embarrassment to bands who make careful alterations to the classic rock sound while simultaneously adding their own flavor to the mix instead of blatantly reiterating musical ideas that are 40 years too late. Jet isn't strictly music for imbeciles, but even with the tolerable moments on their latest record, they have reached new, unprecedented lows. Adversely, if this album does titillate your sweet tooth for mediocrity, I'm not going to say that you're mentally unstable -- but I will let you know that you probably need to do some re-evaluation.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences
2.7

August 21st 2009

review shouldn't be too much of a shaka

Douglas
August 21st 2009

somebody is legitimately stupid for enjoying Def Leppard.

Quote = massive win.

Digging: James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical

August 21st 2009

Great review. I've never been bothered to check this band out, and I probably never will.

conclusion rulz. good one

pos'ed

August 21st 2009

^edit: introduction + conclusion rulz.

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

2 words: "CLASS ACTION"

August 21st 2009

well the whole thing but the conclusion especially

and i haven't heard the album but i'd probably agree with the review =p

August 21st 2009

thanks for the feedback, fellas.

i do not understand you, davey.

August 21st 2009

lawyers man. get some lawyers

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

Following on from their rather sombre 2nd effort 'Shine On', Australian retro-rockers Jet loosen up 3rd time around on 'Shaka Rock'. There is barely a ballad to be heard (closer 'She Holds A Grudge' is the exception) as the quartet continue their derivative fascination with 70's rock, plus some mildly effective nods to Beatles-like pop-rock. In theory, it should mean a return to the form that made debut 'Get Born' so fun. Unfortunately, nothing here is as memorable as that LP's singles, while the horrid 'Beat On Repeat' could be the worst song of 2009. Recommended Tracks: She's A Genius, Black Hearts (On Fire) & La Di Da.

August 21st 2009

haha! oh. i thought we was making a def leppard pun

And in this case, the $$ of a$$ are very relevant!

hahaaa, you got me.

Damn you Waior! I was going to write a review on this album. =,(

August 21st 2009

The cover art also very much reflects said quality of album.

August 21st 2009

Setting fire to what came before you in the hopes of making it better?

August 21st 2009

BSX, don't let me stop you! go for it.

August 21st 2009

Maybe I will, I didn't expect anyone to jump on writing a review for this album so quickly.

xD

You wanted to get a real review instead of a moneky peeing video.

monkey peeing video

fromtheinside
August 21st 2009

who knew these guys still made music.
fantastic review!

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

Douglas

Unfortunately Australia does.

Zip
August 21st 2009

WAIOR STFU WITH THESE REVIEWS JESUS!