Yves Klein Blue
Ragged and Ecstatic

by doug USER (78 Reviews)
August 14th, 2009 | 21 replies

Review Summary: Yves Klein Blue, everyone will know their songs, but will have no idea who they are.

Yves Klein Blue are a band I first heard at a little pub in Geelong, Australia playing to what you would consider a small gathering of people, but not a crowd. Though this did not deter the groups playing at all, and gave us spectators what would be, a blistering 1 hour length set that has etched this band into my head. YKB, don’t seem like one of those bands that get some attention then fail to follow up, since they know how to utilize their talent, and wont fade away anytime soon.

The members of Yves Klein Blue are, well, fetching. They each have a mild mannered approached which really converts well when in the public eye, and really makes their live shows enjoyable.

When listening to their debut album, Ragged and Ecstatic it generates a sort of butterfly-in-the-stomach feeling. It is one of those feel good records, but is no means a cheesy album. Meaning: that this album is a record from a growing indie band that is starting to venture out further than before, into the world of large fan bases, regular TV spots (like the current Mitsubishi Lancer ad, featuring the single Polka) while trying not to compromise their humble beginnings.

Ragged and Ecstatic is a spectacularly gathered mix of re–recorded songs off their previous EPs, some unrecorded but live show favourites and some brand new, fresh songs that show that the future of YKB is going to be quite a bright one. The track ‘Make Up Your Mind’ is a laid back, but foot tapping tune, that shows the versatility of the band while ‘Getting Wise’ is completely opposite - with it’s very Strokes sound – is as catchy as the apparent Swine Flu, and has a large replay factor. The now extremely well known popular ‘Polka’ is probably the best track of the album. It encompasses a very catchy, yet unique sound that make you want more from this band. Changing from fast paced guitar slashing, to a literal Polka for the guitar solo, ‘Polka’ is a chaotic but fun song. ‘About the Future’ changes the tempo of the album completely. It is a mellow, acoustic song prophesysing about our troubled world. The guitar may be played upbeat folksy feel, though the lyrics bring the song down to earth and give it substantial meaning:

What this generation needs is a war
But it’s hard to choose a side when you don’t know which is right.
All my friends are frustrated, boring or bored
Yes, they all derrain their minds without a good excuse as to why –
Lusting after yesterdays golden stars,
Ah well, maybe that just never happens anymore.

Their laid back style is obviously evident on the album, though it doesn’t mean they should be taken less seriously. They have written great songs, and have easily made their mark on the scene. The variance in their songs show that Yves Klein Blue mean business and have much more to offer then the over played Polka. Fame wont affect the way Yves Klein Blue have become unique.

Recommended Tracks:
‘Polka’
‘Make Up Your Mind’
‘Digital Love’

Flume and Chet Faker LockjawThe Naked and Famous In Rolling Waves
James Blake OvergrownTaylor Swift Red
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The HeistChet Faker Thinking in Textures
suncorpsteve (3)
Better than average debut, with pop-laiden guitar and a diverse range of influences....

Fixing art work now!

Spare
August 14th 2009

summary is kinda odd and untrue, review is ok. album is decent.

August 14th 2009

Im sooo confused, there is 3 albums in the database.

Yeah, I know I might change that actually.

Spare
August 14th 2009

the fuck happened? eh you can figure it out. *their

Yay, it's fixed.

20857 Comments

I just realised how similar the cover art of this album is to The Temper Trap's album.

Anyway Dougie, you get your point across well enough, but the review needs some editing. I must have had to read the summary 10 times before I realised what was wrong:

- 'know' in the summary should be 'no'.
- First sentence needs the word 'are' after the band name.
- I don't like the way the 1st paragraph ends, but can't think of a way to improve it right now.
- Get rid of the spaces on re - recorded.
- Add an 's' to the end of "some brand new fresh song"
- "Stokes sound". I presume this should be StRokes.
- Add an 's' to the end of "they have written great song"

As an aside, it also took me weeks to find out that 'Polka' was the song on that ad & who performed it.

August 14th 2009

Haha, I knew it was full of mistakes! Thanks for the checkup, I am the worst proof reader in history.

You're welcome Dougie.

August 14th 2009

So I think you should check this out. You liked The Temper Trap, so you will like this.

On the (long) list.

August 14th 2009

Good to hear. (Review edited.) Are the Silversun Pickups on that long list?

20857 Comments

You forgot to edit the summary.

Yeah, Silversun Pickups are on the list right next to Manchester Orchestra, Metric, mewithoutyou & a couple of others. This is the grouping that I may struggle to get to although, I think I will prioritise the Silversun Pickups & Manchester Orchestra.

August 14th 2009

Yes do so. Manchester Orchestra and Silversun Pickups have produced easily 2 of the top 5 albums of the year.

StreetlightRock
August 16th 2009

I dunno about these guys, they sorta come off as B-side Modular material, without actually being singed to Modular.

August 16th 2009

Dew Process is who they are signed to I'm pretty sure. Give it a spin though, it's worth it.

AtavanHalen
August 16th 2009

Got a fucking heroes' welcome at Splendour

Do you like them?

AtavanHalen
August 16th 2009

Can take or leave them; they were okay

HectorPector