The Flaming Lips
Clouds Taste Metallic

by robin EMERITUS
August 9th, 2009 | 183 replies | 20,654 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Wayne Coyne really means it this time.

The Flaming Lips have two modes of melody and Clouds Taste Metallic sits central to their two-sided discography. As a follow-up, it lays calm foundations on the previous records of noise, fuzz, and any other messy noun that can accompany a picture of Wayne Coyne sporting a Sonic Youth t-shirt. And yet, looking at it from the future, it’s a raw release from the trilogy of synth-packed space rock which itself has been loosening slowly to the point of At War With The Mystics – an album which, stripped down, is a second coming of the Lips’ unrealised opus.

Clouds Taste Metallic is essentially the catchiest record the band have ever crafted: the anthems never stay as chilled and refined as they do in Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, but instead they serve as proof that the Lips can be everything they want – poppy, weird and ridiculous – all at the same time. There’s no sight of a zoned out instrumental and nor any downtime to relax: this is simply the trio going thirteen songs with the spirit of their live sets in their heart. Without layers and layers and layers, the aptly titled “Guy Who Accidentally Gets a Headache and Saves The World” still becomes an all out guitar sing-along and is as loud as the Lips will commit to being. The album’s closer is more of the same intense insanity, with Coyne writing possibly the lamest cool song ever: the music crashes and thrashes together from pulsating drums and chimes, and the lyrics recognise realism and throw it all to the wall: “You hate your boss at your job/But in your dreams you can blow his head off/In your dreams show no mercy”. If this wasn’t the only motto for Zaireeka onwards, I don’t know what was.

While it may as well be labelled their “guitar” album, taking into account the short ‘n’ sweet cameo appearances of all else (a complementary goof such as the horn intro of “This Here Giraffe” is to be expected), Clouds Taste Metallic couldn’t be a prouder odd-one-out in a discography so conflicted by punk and pop. Even though Clouds Taste Metallic’s three primary tools are a guitar, a drum kit and a set of crayons for the art, it’s also Wayne Coyne offering everything, and it’s all there: that is, it’s immature and it’s fun. What more could you want from a man who dresses up and scares children at Halloween?

His Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of ArsonSuperchunk I Hate Music
The Weakerthans Reconstruction SiteThe Waterboys This Is the Sea
Owen At Home With OwenTimes New Viking Dancer Equired
Paul blart (5)
The greastest pop album of the last decade. The Lips reach the height of their "classic" sound, writ...

Chris Jackson (4.5)

Andrew H. EMERITUS (4.5)

Roach
August 9th 2009

Awesome band, awesome review.

Nicely done Robin.

Fugue
August 9th 2009

Wow a 5 huh? guess I should check this out pronto.

As far as The Flaming Lips go, I've only got Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots and thoroughly enjoy it. Funny that I've never bothered exploring the rest of their catalogue, which if I'm honest I didn't know was as big as it is.

Great review too, pretty much what I'd expect.

Edit: Also the track titles are awesome.

robin
August 9th 2009

thanks and yeah, too cool.

August 9th 2009

Excellent review. been meaning to check these guys out for a while. I guess I will start here.

Roach
August 10th 2009

Ahh, this record is so good I should listen to it more. Bumped for greatness.

hey guys

this album

sux

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

: (

April 22nd 2011

nah ive never heard its just i saw metallica in the title and was pissed

AngelofDeath

Clouds Taste Metallica m/

April 22nd 2011

this album rules guys u need it

do you realize

that your lifestyle determines your deathstyle

metallica

April 22nd 2011

if i see metal with another l im like holyshit metallica m/ its just a habbit of being thrash as fuck 24/7

best lips album probably

hellyeahbrother

April 22nd 2011

its between this and in a priest driven ambulance

both unfuckwithable

darnielle
April 22nd 2011

this is unbelievable when stoned

June 17th 2011

this album is believable when sober

wabbit
July 29th 2011

fucking beyond perfect. Every song here has been my favourite flips song and half of them have been my favourite song ever.

Also Robin is such an unappreciated reviewer