Converge
Jane Doe

by Kane Cooper USER (6 Reviews)
August 6th, 2009 | 112 replies | 9,434 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

‘Jane Doe’ is one of those albums that is so unabashedly aware of it’s cathartic nature that despite being so inaccessible and outside the mainstream, has managed to garner itself wide critical acclaim and thrust the band behind it into the spotlight both in and outside indie circles worldwide. Not bad for a hardcore punk band with a love of Slayer and vocals that sound like a tortured animal screaming through a distortion pedal. Heralding from Massachusetts, Converge had released three albums previously to a substantial underground following, having already stapled their name at the forefront of the metalcore genre before ‘Jane Doe’ hit the shelves in September 2001.

This is an album that is about someone who is nothing - an anonymity who has no guise except that of Jane Doe which in itself means nothing; a Jane Doe (or it’s male counterpart John Doe), simply being a name given to an anonymous women or man. It’s a furious assault of Converge’s classic sound; off beat polyrhythmic drumming and complex guitar riffs that support front man Jacob Bannon’s ethereal shrieks and screams which combine into a tumultuous outpour of aggression. Guitarist Kurt Ballou’s work here is equal parts punk, metal and grind core and it’s this mix up that sees Converge standing head and shoulders above other metalcore stalwarts Botch and Coalesce. The four piece literally seem to be locked in battle with their instruments on this most celebrated of achievements and if the music was a physical thing then a similarly physical representation of emotion would be positively bursting from every orifice. This is an everyman’s album packaged into a sprawling mass of flailing instrumentation and heartfelt screaming. Not so everyman after all? Yet every man gets angry or feels torment and/or upset ; this just happens to be his album which he is able to let everything go and scream along to.

Superchunk Here's Where The Strings Come InDalek Absence
Afterlives A Ticking Clock I Couldn't StopSlayer Reign in Blood
Bedhead WhatFunLifeWas
4.4

August 6th 2009

Several points I would like to clear up.

1) This is my first review so any relevant or otherwise criticism is appreciated.

2) I know this has been reviewed many times before but I wanted to give my own take on it however similar it may or may not be.

3) I've seen a lot of people claiming that they don't understand how this could possibly be a classic. I appreciate where you're coming from but this is an album where it's value increases tenfold when you associate it with an experience, i.e. I never truly loved this record until severely upset from a break up I shoved this on and it became something else. It's hard to explain but I've loved the record since.

OllieS

2029 Comments

I actually really liked it, as it was really concise and totally relevant. However, more detail about the record (ie the instruments, production, songwriting, lyrics, etc.) is mandatory to improve.

robin
August 6th 2009

good stuff, just binged on this

thebbqshrimp
August 6th 2009

Truly a great review. I found it to be very well-written, yet not overly wordy and pretentious sounding and to be very concise, yet it covered the overall sound and feel of the album quite well. POS'd!

Oh, and a fantastic album.

Electric City

time for another try

Digging: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Sea When Absent

essplode
August 6th 2009

i wish i could scream along to this, that'd be tight

August 6th 2009

i've said it before but the Decibel Hall of Fame article on this album is so awesome

August 6th 2009

I'm gonna read it right now better be good goddammit.

August 6th 2009

i always had shitty speakers for my car and shitty headphones for my computer, so i thought the problem was those things, but when i got awesome speakers and awesome headphones i realized the production on here is actually pretty shitty

BUT FUCK IT ALBUM SLAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

August 6th 2009

the production is fine stfu

i thought i said

FUCK IT ALBUM SLAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

not try to prove me wrong faggot

August 6th 2009

excuse me best sputnik friend whom i thought i liked

illmitch
August 6th 2009

lol im reading the decibel review for Autopsy - Mental Funeral and it rules, cant wait to get to converge

i have no regrets

my only regret is not seeing you have 12345 comments

August 6th 2009

the hall of fame articles are the best things ever

Wizard

19208 Comments

Agreed. I'm going to purchase that book they put out with their top 50 hall of famers.

Really good review by the way.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Waior
August 6th 2009

Concise, solid review. If a bit short, but oh well. Well done.

August 6th 2009

i heard the book sucks though. in the magazine there's a ridiculous number of really awesome pictures to go along with the article but apparently in the book it's just text with one or two pictures.

ugh i hate text