Anthrax
I'm The Man

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
July 27th, 2009 | 14 replies | 5,737 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Anthrax is funny as hell. They take thrash, and lighten it up a bit, or at least they did back in the day, and I love it. Plus, they totally rock at their instruments.

This EP is sort of a joke. It's notable for having a cover of Black Sabbath's classic song, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but more importantly, it's notable for having what may be the first rap-metal song in music history.

That's right, Anthrax, once part of the big four of THRASH METAL, is responsible for the first rap-metal song. I'm The Man it's called, and while it's not serious at all (unlike NU-METAL, which is totally serious), it's pretty fun to listen to. Basically, Anthrax proves that rap and metal can certainly mix, and Anthrax were one of the few bands to do it right, unlike Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park. While it's nowhere near as good as their 1991 collaboration with Public Enemy, it's a hell of a lot funnier.

But unfortunately, you have to sit through it three times. While the unedited studio version and the live version of I'm The Man are both excellent, the edited version is, well, edited. So everything that's funny about I'm The Man is blanked out. I assume Anthrax put this on the EP to show how much censorship sucks, as they were known haters of censorship.

The other reason this EP is good is their cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. While it is not as nearly as good as the Sabbath original, it's pretty damn good, as Joey Belladonna's falsetto vocals go along great with the song. Anthrax pretty much makes it their own song. It's a damn fun listen.

Plus, the EP also contains two awesome live songs, Caught in a Mosh and I Am The Law, both of which surpass their studio versions.

Plenty of people hate this EP because it isn't super-serious thrash metal, but hey, it is what it is: FUN. Just fun to listen to. While it's no Among The Living, I shouldn't even have to say that, so just get this EP. I promise, you'll laugh at least once.