Anthrax
Persistence of Time

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2009 | 174 replies | 19,245 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Anthrax gets SERIOUS on the last album with Joey.

Ask anyone what their favorite Anthrax album is, and the answer will usually be either Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, or Persistence of Time. Some will choose Spreading the Disease, as it is the least thrash of the three. Most will choose Among the Living, for its balls-out thrash style, in which every song is designed to mosh to. And then some will choose Persistence of Time, as it is the least playful of the bunch. It's a pretty serious thrash album. Gone are the comic book-based lyrics and songs about John Belushi. But that doesn't mean the fun is gone.

Persistence of Time is the last album with Joey Belladonna, and he gives it his all on this album. His vocals are loud and high-pitched; just the way I like them. His falsetto vocals made Anthrax stand out from the other thrash bands at the time, as most other thrash vocalists sang with that gruffy, MANly voice, like Tom Araya. Belladonna hits some great, high notes on this album, and his vocals are fun to sing along to. The smartest thing he could ever do now is rejoin Anthrax.

What about the actual musicianship? Anthrax was always incredibly underrated in this area. These guys can play their ***ing instruments like crazy. Scott Ian and Dan Spitz were two of the finest axemen in metal back in the day. Their riffs are awesome enough to obliterate mountains and crush sky-scrapers, and Dan Spitz may be the most underrated guitarist in metal history when it comes to solos. Just listen to the guitar solo in the opening song, "Time", and you will see what I mean. Frank Bello is also underrated. He's no Cliff Burton, but he was certainly one of the best bassists in thrash. Unlike many other thrash bands at the time, you can actually hear Bello's bass, which is quite something. His basslines make that trademark Anthrax sound. You know what I'm talking about. And Charlie Benante is an insane drummer. He drums like a madman on this album, closely following the guitars, which is also part of that trademark Anthrax sound.

So I'm over here raving about the musicianship on this album, like it's perfect or something. So what is wrong with Persistence of Time? Let me tell you, this album is far from perfect, and it's because of the actual songs. Anthrax was trying to be serious on this album, and it worked, but I think they were trying to be a bit too serious. Some of the songs repeats riffs for minutes on end and never seem to end. While most of the songs are great, a select few just drag on far too long. I'd say, in 1990, it would've been best to leave the long thrash songs to Metallica. You know something is wrong when one of the best songs on the album is their cover of Joe Jackson's "Got the Time", which is sort of a joke anyway.

Persistence of Time is most certainly a kickass album, but it's just not the best Anthrax album out there. Among the Living is the best combination of light-hearted, funny Anthrax with serious Anthrax. Persistence of Time seems to try and recreate Metallica's ...And Justice For All, not with political lyrical themes, but long song lengths and serious lyrical themes, and that's just not the Anthrax I love.

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside
Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (4)
It takes some patience, but with persistence and time Anthrax’s 5th studio effort will be tick tic...

dannyboy89 (4.5)
The last great Anthrax album. There's nothing else to say....

meep17 (4)
This is one of Anthrax's darkest albums so far; a definite departure from the less serious sound of ...

sunsinger (4)

July 22nd 2009

None of these songs are too long... have a neg. ;)

Zoo

anthrax pfft

July 22nd 2009

I don't have a lot of Anthrax love, actually. I only really like this album and "State of Euphoria".

July 22nd 2009

I don't think he fucked it up since he didn't have a lot to do with the music. The same albums but with Joey singing would have still sucked.

July 22nd 2009

State of Euphoria was the first Anthrax album I ever heard. It was actually pretty much my introduction to metal too.

Thrasher86
July 23rd 2009

My friend's favorite band is Anthrax... and he says this album sucks besides got the time. So more then likley I'll stay away from this. I like my Spreading The Diesase and Among the Living. And not Negging but you wayy overrated Anthrax's musicanship, they are the least talented musicans out of The Big Four. But eh what ever, still a good review.

kygermo
July 23rd 2009

Great album. Not nearly one of my favorites, though. I take it everyone heard Anthrax's new singer left the group, right?

July 23rd 2009

Anthrax are much better musicians than Slayer.
I take it everyone heard Anthrax's new singer left the group, right?
The way I heard it was that he didn't leave, he was booted. The new album has also been delayed.

TheNotrap
July 16th 2011

Probably their "serious" and somehow conceptual work of the classic era.
Really good songs here but also boring moments.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

boleyn2
November 2nd 2011

having considered a general rating i hoped it'd be much better album; as for now i dont find it as interesting as their previous releases, but i'm gonna give it another try; however, there are some tracks that drew my attention at once: belly of the beast, got the time(though this one is by joe jackson), im my world and discharge

kangaroopoo
November 2nd 2011

Great album, opener 'Time' best track. The riff from 'Gridlock' is re-used on the new album in 'Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't.'

March 5th 2012

review fuckin sucks damn

but hey i was like 3 years old

kick ass record

August 11th 2012

haha damn dude willie was pissed even back then

yeah he hates my ass

ViperAces
September 16th 2012

There is some crazy Anthrax sale appearently, so which two should I get out of these three:
Persistence Of Time, Among The Living or Spreading The Disease.

facupm
November 4th 2012

yeah rules, but it's quite different to earlier records

Geadom
November 16th 2012

Im giving this some spins, i remember really liking the flow, but werent the songs a tad bit long or something?