Ahab
The Divinity Of Oceans

good

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2009 | 80 replies | 17,526 views

Review Summary: 'whalecore' is now unfortunately a legitimate genre label.

Any initial reservations that a well versed funeral doom listener such as myself may have about Ahab’s sophomore release are bound to be both hit and miss, much like the album itself. There is a great deal of development in the band’s sound in the three years since their debut Call of the Wretched Sea; Ahab have not lost their monolithic feel, one which is explicably compatible with their oceanic concept, but along with the improvements in detail and texture, the album has a niggling tendency to drift into tedium. This is not, as one might suspect, a result of the album’s funeral doom style – insofar as the record retains funeral doom elements, Ahab toe the boundaries of the said style and it would be somewhat of a fallacy to categorize The Divinity of Oceans as a funeral doom album. Under the guise of progression from their debut, the band have gone to lengths to make their music more accessible, and in doing so have left the cramped confines of the funeral doom camp and settled into the niche overlap between it and death/doom.

The critical issue that arises with The Divinity of Oceans is the fact that in creating an accessible style of extreme doom by incorporating mellow passages and clean singing, the album loses much of its appeal and ends up somewhat lifeless in respect to its aims. What the aforementioned evolution of the band’s sound essentially does is curtail their strongest point, and that is portraying the crushing might of their subject matter. It’s not untrue that the abundance of softer sections fit in with the record, but ignoring the thematic continuity and merely focusing on the composition and its ability to hold the album together, The Divinity of Oceans is not able to completely fulfill my expectations as a doom record. Asides from several exceptions, the lulls in brutality become increasingly tiresome as the record progresses, and do nothing more than add to its insipidity. This is both added to and diminished by Droste’s vocal performance; he is comfortable enough with his voice to sing, and rightfully so – he is by no means bad. Nevertheless, when the devastating power of the album dissipates and his voice comes out of the chaotic midst, a sigh of exasperation inevitably escapes me.

What Droste does to excel Ahab is largely in his guttural contribution. Anyone can write heavy riffs, and Ahab definitely are in no short supply of unsettling guitar lines, but for the most part it is Droste’s position alongside the music, with his monstrously low growls, which characterize the band. And it is ultimately this combination which makes The Divinity of Oceans a passable doom album – the faster, crushing passages in tracks like ‘Gnawing Bones’ and ‘O Father Sea’, made up of weighty riffs, double kick and colossal gutturals, is the best thing about the record. It is unfortunate that the band cannot completely succeed with their amalgamation of calm and chaos. The attempt at profundity can be at least appreciated, but to take it seriously would require more than a little ignorance on my behalf. Here’s hoping that for the next slab of doom they record the storm and leave the still sea to itself.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

rasputin

the pogues

July 22nd 2009

Redemption Lost was pretty damn good will look into this after I find Culted. yah de yah yah, nice review. WHALECORE!! Very nice....

Just noticed it's the same artwork. Uhhh....

rasputin
July 22nd 2009

if you go to the ahab page on last.fm, 'whalecore' is actually the fourth most frequent tag

Hawks
July 22nd 2009

Good review. Probably won't look into this though. I loved Call of the Wretched Sea at first, but now I can't even get through it. I'm sure it would be the same way with this album.

Tits McGee

wtf are Ahab doing jacking The Pogues shit

solid review, rasp

south_of_heaven 11
July 22nd 2009

I enjoyed the Call of the Wretched Sea to an extent, but I guess they're starting to slip up here.

Poet
July 22nd 2009

lol whalecore. I just typed it in into wikipedia and I got the Mastodon page.

Bleekill
July 22nd 2009

long as it ain't crabcore.

McP3000
July 22nd 2009

i dont get wtf whalecore is even supposed to mean

July 22nd 2009

Whalecore is suprisingly deep on the last fm page including Mastodon, so it'd be like somebody asking you, what style of Music does Mastodon play, they're pretty good. Oh, they're whalecore. although Giant Squid should be squidcore.

kingsoby1
July 22nd 2009

nice, prob will not listen

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

Zip

whalecore lol

Meatplow
July 22nd 2009

yeah I just noticed it uses the same base cover art as rum sodomy and the lash

thats not cool it's like taking the artwork from nightfall or ancient dreams by candlemass and using it as an album cover for a new band :/

this doesn't reflect on musical quality one bit

Tyler

The Pogues didn't patent The Raft of the Medusa

Athom
July 22nd 2009

If this came out last year I probably would have rushed to listen to it, but alas...

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

Tyler
July 22nd 2009

Ahab has never been particularly worthwhile. Just unnecessarily overhyped. Only difference now is people are apparently over the Funeral Doom fad.

yas666eer
July 22nd 2009

god damn it... i thought this w`ll be better than COTRC

fireaboveicebelow
July 22nd 2009

this is pretty great, review speaks the truth though

Meatplow

The Pogues didn't patent The Raft of the Medusa

i'm aware of that but I cannot see another band using it without thinking of The Pogues association

severe psychological triggers are making this seem like a knockoff POS band by default, which is completely unfair considering I know nothing of this band at all

how do I escape this subjective and very human madness

fireaboveicebelow
July 22nd 2009

listen to the album without knowing who it is?