Summercamp Nightmare

by Caleb McAlpine USER (108 Reviews)
July 16th, 2009 | 45 replies | 9,143 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 3 goes through puberty.

A popular legend states that most people, at some point in time, have pretended they were a rock star of their choice and bounced around in their bedroom in angst whilst singing into a hairbrush. With that in mind, the following nugget of information might not be so difficult for most of you to accept -- in fact, it might improve your self esteem a bit: you are Joey Eppard.

Yes, you are Joey Eppard, guitar virtuoso and frontman of '3'.

The year is 2003. Roughly four years ago, pre-Y2K, you and your band '3' released their debut album 'Paint By Number' to little to no fanfare, despite the album being a relatively solid funk-rock experiment. Just a little over a year from now, you will turn all the tables and become a progressive metal band with your album 'Wake Pig' Approximately 13 months after that, 'Wake Pig' will be re-released on Metal Blade records, launching you and your lucky band into relative stardom -- set free to tour with the likes of Dream Theater, Opeth and Between the Buried and Me. However, right now, it is currently 2003 and you are stylistically lodged in between the expansive soundscapes of prog-metal and the kinetic bounce of funk-rock, dweedling in relative obscurity. The year is 2003 and you have just released 'Summercamp Nightmare'. Taking into context 'Summercamp Nightmare's successor and predecessor, the stylistic approach found on your record is easily identifiable: Summercamp Nightmare is 3's puberty album.

You've entered a stage; you're growing up. The idea of 'fun' is an impish defense-mechanism that you'd never stoop down so low to enjoy. Your eyes have suddenly been opened to the vast, endless horizons of progressive rock. You're getting angsty and you demand originality from yourself. So cute. How did you translate this into a record? Well, 'Summercamp Nightmare' plays more like a collection of mixed messages than a cohesive album. 'Halloween' is faux-spooky and childish, 'Pretty Girls' feels like a rejected b-side from your debut record and 'Dregs' is alarmingly aggressive and perhaps even heavy. While it's important to practice a healthy amount of variety in your music, 'Summercamp Nightmare' is so stylistically all-over-the-place, it's hard to get into any sort of groove -- the entire experience is decidedly askew and unfocused. Massively overdubbed falsettos are abundant and ridiculous (what's with the chorus of 'Signs of Life'?), select songs are far too familiar (the song 'Fable' may as well be a hidden track on Radiohead's 'The Bends') and the vocals are stuck somewhere in between underwhelmingly sleep-inducing (Bedroom In Hell) to commandingly rousing (Soul Reality).

Yet somehow in all this stylistic confusion, Joey Eppard, you and your band have managed to create some indubitably terrific songs; it wouldn't be far off to recognize 'Soul Reality' as one of the, if not the catchiest song you've ever written. Each member of the band are audible and give an impressive and diverse performance; tying together funk-injected acoustic lead lines, casual, yet nimble drumming and bumbling basslines. The talent amassed on 'Summercamp Nightmare' is uncompletely undeniable, to say the least. However, the raging confusion that you seem to be experiencing as a songwriter ("I want to make a funk song! No, a metal song! Hell, let's make both at the same time!") hinders the effect that 'Summercamp Nightmare' has on a listener deeply. But hang in there, the next year is going to see one of the most creative prog-rock records released in recent time and it's going to bear your band's name. The future's bright, Joey Eppard; fret not, you will learn how to write a complete album -- after all, what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

The Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark ValleyDan Mangan Oh Fortune
The Decemberists Long Live the KingThe Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & Melody
Antoine Dufour ConvergencesThe Head And The Heart The Head And The Heart

July 16th 2009

I got sick of writing the same review over and over, so I wrote a review that sucked.

WhiteWallStargazers
July 16th 2009

Even your so called "sucky" review is still pretty good. Band sounds terrible,

July 16th 2009

Band is amazing on other records. Listen to 'The End is Begun' and tell me it sounds terrible.

This, however...

fireaboveicebelow
July 16th 2009

this looks like shit haha good review though

DaveyBoy

20798 Comments

Caleb, I actually like the method you have used on this review. It couldn't be used over & over again, but it does make for a nice change & I think you chose the correct band & situation to do it with. In fact, this is pos-worthy.

July 16th 2009

Thanks fireice and Davey. Good to know that this doesn't come off too immature or off-kilter. I was about to write this review like all my others (like an English Essay) and realized that I basically knew how the entire review would be. So predictable. So, here we are.

Alas.

Wizard
July 16th 2009

Damn I love that line. Excellent review Caleb, always thought this band was poo.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

July 16th 2009

Thank you... Karl? Appreciate the feedback greatly. In my personal (and underdeveloped) taste, their latest record is one of the decade's best. But yes, this is poo.

Yazz_Flute
July 16th 2009

I like how you fit "indubitably" into the review when it was completely unnecessary lmao. I used to do that in all of my middle school essays. Fuckin bomb ass word.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

handoman
July 16th 2009

yea this album is kinda boring

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

i'd give it a 3

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

I know right I lol'd so hard when I was typing that.

Wizard

Thank you... Karl?

It seems to be the new trend around here, you know, using peoples actual names hahaha.

July 17th 2009

bodom, haha I rarely use that word but I decided to let it go. It was a grade 9 vocabulary word...

countorous, everytime I see you post your maniacal laughing, I laugh a little. Why? I don't know. So useless.

handoman, Taylor, I have to agree. Broadway Alien would be a lot better if he didn't say "methinks the end is near" though; especially not as the song's hook.

Karl, haha yes. I wasn't sure if that was your name.

ScorpionStan
July 17th 2009

so i should check out their latest album if i want to get into the band?

July 17th 2009

Scorp, yes and you do want to get into this band. The End Is Begun is brilliant, one song away from a 5 for me.

July 17th 2009

btw i was going to d/l this yesterday, i guess it was a good thing i didin't

Do you have their other stuff?

July 17th 2009

Okay, good. The End Is Begun > Wake Pig though.

Their debut is pretty good (Paint By Number) but it's ridiculously different.

ScorpionStan
July 17th 2009

alright well i'll def check into The End Has Begun, thanks. also, i liked this review a lot.

July 17th 2009

Good. And thanks. I figured I'm not really important to Sputnik clerically so I could $#%@ with structure a bit. Haha.