Daughtry
Leave This Town

1.5
very poor

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
July 11th, 2009 | 31 replies | 5,022 views

Review Summary: If nothing else, at least check out the video...

"In retrospect I think it's great Daughtry is paying homage to it's ancestors Creed with a tribute album."
"Noooooo, this is Daughtry's new album!" 8 year old sister, in tears of over ecstatic joy.

I proceeded not to say another word until I had established some fair judgment for the entire piece of work. The opening inspiring riff on the second song, lead to these lyrics, "I've practiced this for hours, gone round and round, And now I think that I've got it all down", in the most horridly reincarnation of Kroeger in "Hero" since Stapp in "My Sacrifice". (I know when each was released, for any further discussions). This doesn't even begin to cover the amount of vocal effects for this album, it's halfway haunting after the second time you hear them used as well, as if you know they'll be reoccurring in your dreams later that night. This could explain why I can't sleep and instead am writing this review. It's sad because I often find Chris Daughtry to be a good singer, I mean he got somewhere in American Idol for a reason correct? If no agreement there he performed well in both, his song, "Home" and his rendition of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face". Both of which I refer to in their acoustic versions, as it holds more talent to their other two.

The lyrics are quite dreadful to say the least. It's like the two icons I mentioned above, (Kroeger, Stapp) they decided to have a child, this child now takes that sex and sex and sex that Kroeger feeds, traps it in a little innuendo cake and then sweetens up with some heartfelt Stapp lyrics. We now get plenty of, "With time to kill and an empty tomb, I always find a way to pass the time with you, Dark and smoky rooms, I can hardly stand the fumes" Those little bucket of joys are everywhere to accompany the same riff that's in every song.

Ok, not every song, I mean aside from "You Don't Belong" which will make you raise an eyebrow ladies and gentleman. But here's the trick, it's about as hair raising as the last intro track - "It's Not Over", so take it with your grain of salt here people. Also interesting to note, they apparently like to put all the interesting stuff in the beginning, and I don't mean in the beginning like tracks 1-5. I'm talking very beginning the first 20 seconds of track 1. You've got literally the same formula for every other track here, "What I Meant To Say" through "September" all will take you through the same 1 trick roller coaster, or slow build into terribly anti-climatic drop with a "hard" fisted chorus and back again.

Are there any detours? Something worth noting? Well Daughtry has progressed in one area. He seems to take a darker and harder edge than his last release because where he gets heavy it's definitely a step up. Tracks like the aforementioned "You Don't Belong", and "Ghost of Me" are the only "heavy songs" so if you're a rock junkie sorry, you're better off with Nickelback. Another standout is the country-twanged "Tennessee Line" which is a welcomed approach to blending his sound with country underlay, followed with the best lyrics of the album, and you might actually have yourself a winner here, Chris! Unfortunately it's wayyy too little too late, as the song is haunted by it's predecessor a possible "Worst Song of the Year" contender, "Supernatural" which if you can imagine, is like listening to a Heidi Montag* cover band

Last Word: If Daughtry weren't taking themselves so seriously I'd be able to take them more seriously. Tracks to recommend include, "You Don't Belong", "Ghost of Me", "Tennessee Line". Sigh of relief because a band like this only comes around ever so often.

Note: *Heidi Montag is the uber popular television personality famous for her rolls on "Laguna Beach" and "The Hills" Check out her video here!

EDIT: You can also stream the full album here... http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/daughtry__chris/2446201/album.jhtml

Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
Nero Di Marte Nero Di MartePolygons Rifts
Dr Dave De Sylvia STAFF (2)
Leave This Town isn’t quite the album of sloppy seconds it threatened to be....

Blindsided (2.5)
As far as mainstream rock goes, Daughtry creates another record full of superior tunes but sells o...

Nosferatwo (3.5)
Streamlined and polished, Daughtry is pure guitar pop. Rock fans are going to riot....

July 11th 2009

Heidi is a fame whore and should be dead, not MJ

cirq

pfffftt
thats a fart sound

LOL

WTF!?

July 11th 2009

I gave this album a listen earlier today. I'd probably go with a 2/5 at best just because there were 2 moments that showed promise, lol.

Willie
July 11th 2009

Is this streaming somewhere? If not you're going to want to save this before a mod deletes it.

July 11th 2009

It began streaming today on Vhi.com

July 11th 2009

Sorry, Vh1. There is a news article with a link.

Willie
July 11th 2009

Ok cool. I probably just ignored the article when I saw the name. It's always a safe bet to just list the stream in the first comment. Plus it prompts more people to check out the album and comment.

July 11th 2009

@BSX is the wtf moment at the heidi montag video? it'll do that to ya, lmao.

Digging: Coroner - No More Color

July 11th 2009

True. I can't believe I took the time to listen. I just saw free music and went for it.

July 11th 2009

haha it's no problem, i'm guilty of a few listens.

I've also added, for anyone who cares, the link to the full stream.

jingledeath

this sucked

ReturnToRock
July 11th 2009

"better off with nickelback".

ugh.

BenX02
July 11th 2009

Chris Daughtry lives in the same town as me. I saw him with his kids in Barnes and Noble. He was
reading Tabloids. :D

EDIT: His music is atrocious though.

ConorMichaelJoseph

Daughtry moar liek suck

Romulus

^ this

Lucid
July 11th 2009

I got to the fourth song then decided I couldn't take any more aural torture. Album really blows.

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

mvdu
July 11th 2009

I think it's a little worse than his debut, but I wouldn't go below 2. It bored me more than offended me.

July 11th 2009

lol at Nickelback comment, sorry I had a brain freeze, you're probably more better off with a band like Finger Eleven, which is only a hair fracture of a step up.

July 11th 2009

I didn't even bother looking at the Heidi video. . . probably has her at the beach trying way to hard to be fun and sexy