Alexisonfire
Old Crows / Young Cardinals

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
June 20th, 2009 | 41 replies

Review Summary: Marrying invasive catchiness and irritatingly conventional songwriting, Alexisonfire's latest album manages to be both a great album and their worst work to date.

Lead vocalist George Pettit of Alexisonfire said the following to London Free Press about their (at the time, nameless) upcoming fourth studio release 'Old Crows / Young Cardinals':

"Fans have a chance to hear Alexisonfire on the boundary of a "new, weird" stuff. [...] I kind of want to try and make these slower songs I've written seem really heavy atmospherically. [...] On our last album, I never would have thought to try that because the record was so aggressive, but I'm going to try and take us into some new, weird territories."

Unfortunately, this quote is not bereft of misplaced album-hyping, a clever guise formulated by naughty musicians to confuse fans into thinking that records are going to be better than they really are. The two elements that Pettit seemed to stress in this particular description were both the 'atmospheric heaviness and the weirdness' -- both elements that are strangely absent from Old Crows / Young Cardinals. First of all, even the mention of atmosphere in regards to the record as a whole is laughable; with the exception of 'The Northern' and 'Burial', any moments of "atmosphere" is concealed to a two-bar interlude or acappella chorus. Secondly, Old Crows / Young Cardinals does not see Alexisonfire venturing into "new, weird territories" at all; in fact, Alexisonfire has never sounded more normal. Gone are the extended ambient interludes and in are the conventional riffs and infectious melodies. For those who wish to meddle around in sub-genre affairs, allow me to put it this way: if Crisis was a post-hardcore record, Old Crows / Young Cardinals is a rock record.

Fortunately, Pettit's lack of descriptive credibility (he also said that the band was "wanting to put the knife in screamo") fails to harm the positive elements of the album. When the band hits their stride, they hit it hard. Take, for example, lead single (and semi-title track) 'Young Cardinals', a song that finds itself exemplary of the entire album. The song introduces Pettit's new vocal style (a grating, raspy and monotonous rambling that falls far short of his previous screams but manages not to be too irritating), Dallas Green's newly honed sense for catchy melodies, pounding punk beats and surprisingly superb drumming. As a unit, Alexisonfire sounds determined, direct and cohesive. By never straying off and dabbling in foreign genres, Alexisonfire employs a focused and overtly punk-rock sound that is littered with memorable moments and soaring melodies (see 'Born and Raised'). Guitarists Wade MacNeil and Dallas Green, who have always had an ear for nimble but digestible riffs have rededicated their guitarwork to distinctive song-opening leads and licks that may not always be overly technical (Old Crows, No Rest), but engrain themselves as ridiculously catchy moments throughout the length of the record. Bassist Chris Steele (who is audible and magnificent) and drummer Jordan Hastings provide a rhythmic backbone to Old Crows / Young Cardinals that was previously unheard of in Alexisonfire's earlier efforts, with Jordan Hastings' creative drumming (enveloping wonderfully gratuitous fills and the occasional tambourine) almost outshining Dallas Green's always ethereal vocal work in each and every song.

However, one of the most disconcerting things about Old Crows / Young Cardinals is the vocal work. Even Dallas Green's blessedly distinctive vocals are hampered by completely unnecessary overdubs (recalling his most recent solo album production-wise) and his attempts to 'rough up his voice' in songs such as opener 'Old Crows' fail to sound angry and just sound like bothersome attempts to match the gravelly voices of Wade MacNeil and George Pettit. While Wade MacNeil's obnoxious smoker-voice'd growling is no better or worse this time around, screamer-turned-rambler George Pettit has taken his voice in a complete reversal; a reversal that changes his distinctive scream (which gives a welcome cameo in select places of the record) into a ridiculous monotone rasp that makes nearly every verse a cringe-worthy and unbearable affair. The entirety of 'No Rest' is marred by his lifeless delivery and his attempts at melody (such as the pre-chorus of Sons of Privilege) are immature and laughable. Ignoring the melodic shortcomings presented by nearly all three vocalists (although it's best to give praise where praise is due: Green still has some brilliant moments) is much harder than it sounds, even taking in account the leaps and strides the band has taken as musicians.

While the atmosphere that was promised by Pettit is maddeningly absent, the two moments that envelop said thickness are shared by 'The Northern' and 'Burial' (and perhaps to a lesser extent, 'Midnight Regulations'), songs that exercise near post-rock meandering (complete with organs) that is wholly engaging and enticing, roping in the listener with haunting harmonies and Pettit's actual screams. It's moments like these that highlight how wrong Alexisonfire is to take the direction they take on songs like 'Accept Crime' and 'Heading for the Sun', songs that are all completely brawn over brain (or beauty, really). While the aggressive songs are by no means bad (for the most part), the songs that are the obvious highlights are the precious moments when the band does go into new, weird territory and meddle with things that are "really heavy atmospherically." Taking this into account, it's almost depressing that the potential that Alexisonfire has always shown is being neglected it's rightful expansion.

Alexisonfire's Old Crows / Young Cardinals can be chalked up as a myriad of different things; a failure to realize their own potential, an aggressive and occasionally immature rock album bent on good times rather intellectual elitist atmosphere, or a rollicking punk explosion that knows full well how to relax -- but however you describe it, it's impossible to deny the following fact: Old Crows / Young Cardinals is Alexisonfire at their worst. Luckily, Alexisonfire at their worst is still many notches above most bands at their best and Old Crows / Young Cardinals is, while a disappointment, still a solid album with plenty of memorable moments to absorb.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences
3.3

June 20th 2009

j'aime. summary is great, i still need to listen to this. i think the first line of last paragraph should read "chalked up as"? dunno. review's great, pos.

June 20th 2009

I had a lot of trouble writing this review for some reason (might have to do with not writing anything for a while), so I'm glad to hear it reads okay.

I switched it to "chalked up as."

June 20th 2009

really? it definitely reads ok, in fact it's one of the smoothest reads i've seen in a while.

pneumoniahawk93
June 20th 2009

Wow, now I'm mad at you! This review blows mine out of the water!

Well done though, you pretty much hit the nail over the head.

June 20th 2009

Nah, your review was solid. I've just had this on my to-do list for a while.

Thank you, both of you.

jingledeath
June 20th 2009

Great review, pos'd. I got this a while ago but haven't listened to it yet. Will do so soon.

sspedding
June 20th 2009

great review but I won't be buying this album, they've dropped a monumental bollock with this record.

June 20th 2009

That's what I initially thought (I had to rewrite this review over and over, because I started it as a '2') but it's grown immensely on me. First impressions are killer.

Thank to the both of you as well.

June 20th 2009

Caleb, you're a fantastic reviewer. I enjoyed reading both this and your Watch Out! review, and I look forward to eventually giving this record a spin. :pos:

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

pneumoniahawk93
June 20th 2009

Yeah, you're like the new official Alexis reviewer lol

YouAreMySilence
June 20th 2009

Atleast you didn't just give it a 5 because it's an Alexisonfire record.
Good review.

June 20th 2009

gyro, I appreciate that. I really hope to try reviewing Crisis as well (4), but I tried last month and couldn't get past writing the summary.

pneumoniahawk, haha I can live with that.

YouAreMySilence, I would neverrrr do thaaaat.

sspedding
June 20th 2009

I understand you're point on the first impressions and believe me my first impressions weren't great. Some have grown on me but I find George's vocals ultimately repulsive and putting that aside is proving extraordinarily difficult.

June 20th 2009

haha, for ages when i first heard this band i was like, is that ALEX IS ON FIRE or ALEXIS ON FIRE? this thread has answered my queries thanksssss. is it an allusion to something or just...cool?

jc1587
June 20th 2009

i'm glad someone had the balls to chalk this up as a massive disappointment, i couldn't rate this above a 3, never thought i'd be saying that about an alexis album.

June 20th 2009

Yeah, George really messed up on this one.

roofi
June 20th 2009

after one listen i like this about as much as crisis. should probably check out their earlier albums, i guess

Iamthe Nightstars
June 20th 2009

Their first two are the best imo, roofi.

Fritz, get Watch Out!

forshoredividesusger
June 20th 2009

I always thought this band would be so much better without George. Never liked his scream but his new style is even worse.