Axis Powers
Marching Towards Destruction

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
June 16th, 2009 | 24 replies | 6,916 views

Review Summary: An unironic, war-themed death metal album that manages to walk on the right side of the line that separates old school from retro, Marching Towards Destruction is Sweden's take on Bolt Thrower's classic sound.

While I was able to assume they'd sound like Bolt Thrower upon hearing that Axis Powers was a war-themed death metal band, it was nonetheless a pleasant surprise to find out that was almost exactly the case. This is because when it comes to worships and tributes, there are worse bands to feed off of. My first exposure to the Swedish four-piece, Marching Towards Destruction is 9 tracks of solid, to the point death metal.

“Marching Towards Destruction (From San Francisco to Stockholm)” starts the album off with a Chasm-like, gradually ascending introduction and from thereon after Axis Powers waste little time in establishing their sound; the album's quick 34 minute runtime is highly beneficial to their less than distinguished (but still solid) sound. Following the two minute instrumental introduction, Axis Powers work hard to pummel the listener with their slightly punkish take on Bolt Thrower's over-distorted brand of mid-paced, cutthroat death metal. For the most part, they've succeeded. From Mathias Johansson's dry, powerful growl to Peter Haglund's dirty-yet melodic power chords, Axis Powers are as straight to the point as you can get. Again, this works with the album's short runtime, since anything longer than 34 minutes of their relatively generic sound could become overbearing. But it doesn't, and while calling their sound generic may sound like a slant, it works in their favour; Marching Towards Destruction may not be a classic but it's certainly an album worthy of sneaking itself a place in your death metal rotation.

Axis Powers manage to walk on the right side of the line that separates old school from retro, and if you miss the days of unironic bullet belts and glossless, rumbling melodies, Marching Towards Destruction is at the very least worth a passing glance. Generation Xers, I'm looking your way.

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science
good

kingsoby1
June 16th 2009

generation xers looking back, seductively.

i basically rely on you and rasputin as my sources for metal tyler munro.

June 16th 2009

Once I hear this i'll probaly 4.5 it on the spot. war themed d.m like Bolt Thrower, it's like christmas came early.

Anthracks

pretty good album

Metalstyles
June 16th 2009

good review, album seems a bit uninteresting

June 16th 2009

Not necessarily uninteresting, just not particularly unique.

Metalstyles
June 16th 2009

I might myspace them or something, but I'll keep my expectations relatively low just in case

June 16th 2009

Unique is overrated in my book bu unsuprisingly I like this a few tracks in. Good guitar tone.

combustion07
June 16th 2009

Sounds like Bolt Thrower is enough for me to listen.

Wizard

19206 Comments

Seeing as I'm just starting to get into Bolt Thrower, this sounds awesome. Excellence in the review.

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

Essence

ballsin' review

fixed it thanks

rasputin
June 17th 2009

good review tyler, i pretty much completely agree. album is lots of fun.

FistfulOfSteel
June 17th 2009

this sound more like early bolt thrower, or more like the the slightly faster approach they took with those once loyal? seems fairly interesting, will check out

Altmer
June 17th 2009

I STILL haven't heard the Bolts, so sue me.

Essence
June 17th 2009

Album is a rockin' good time, nothing special, just balls to the wall death metal

HighandDriving
June 17th 2009

I checked this out after you rec'd em in the dm thread but imo they just came off as a poor mans Bolt Thrower.

I'll listen again though.

Digging: Nightmares - Suspiria

June 17th 2009

Jacktiger is correct. Can somebody file a lawsuit against Altmer please?

June 17th 2009

Not really like the early, punk-y Bolt Thrower, no. I guess it's closer to Those Once Loyal, but the punk-edge I mentioned gives it a slightly different angle. There's also a fair bit of old Swedish and Florida death metal in it, too; basically, just picture a mostly-midpaced, loud as fuck death metal album.

combustion07
June 18th 2009

I like this, prefer Bolt Thrower but really thats a given.

freeliminator
June 19th 2009

first album sounded like bad swede death with bolt thrower vocals