Doug Martsch
Now You Know

by Ben Borneman USER (11 Reviews)
June 11th, 2009 | 20 replies | 5,177 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Campfire Built To Spill featuring acoustic slide...

Some albums are soundtracks for summer. Some albums are the voice of an entire generation. Some albums are like a weekend camping trip with your quirky uncle Doug. That is, if your uncle happens to be indie-guitar hero Doug Martsch of Built To Spill fame. On his lone solo album Now You Know, everybody’s favorite Idahoan uncle loads up the wagon, stocks the cooler, and takes us out to the woods so that we can become better acquainted. Don’t worry pre-teens, Uncle Doug looks a little strange and his voice is a tad high, but you have nothing to fear (it’s not that kind of camping trip).

What becomes clear almost immediately is that Doug has been doing some serious soul-searching. It seems he’s discovered slide guitar and the lyrical qualities it affords him in songwriting. He’s been studying the masters and has developed some pretty cool licks. There’s no mistaking him for Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters, but it is evident that he’s picked up on their techniques. Much more another means of creative expression than a tribute to the Delta Blues, Now You Know is littered with jangly guitar-driven tracks which sound more like stripped-down Built To Spill than traditional blues.

In all seriousness, Now You Know feels like an intimate glimpse into the personal triumph and tragedy of this solemn figure. The lyrics are mostly straight forward and allow the listener some opportunity for personal interpretation. Lines such as “Now you should know by now, it’s a small sound that holds you down” are genius to some (i.e. this reviewer) and unremarkable to others. The instrumentation here is sparse, with only a handful of songs containing some semblance of a standard rock arrangement. You will encounter small doses of non-traditional percussion and cello, as well some instrumental and vocal overdubs on the album’s eleven tracks, but these merely fill the acoustic space and serve to enhance Doug Martsch’s sprightly arrangements.

Sadly, the tempo of Now You Know never rises above that of a Neil Young-esque stomp. Album opener “Offer” starts things off briskly, but it isn’t long before things slow to a crawl. There is a distinct lack of drive toward the album’s middle section, likely resulting from the minimalist approach found on many of these tracks. While many songs are hauntingly beautiful (Dream, Impossible), others are campy (Woke Up This Morning) or simply irritating (Gone). Make no mistake; despite some standout material, this is a difficult record to enjoy in its entirety.

Perhaps it is largely the nature of the beast with this acoustically-focused album, but the vocal performance delivered by Martsch on Now You Know has an immediacy noticeably absent from nearly everything in the BTS back catalog. This truly is an intimate performance. Never before (or since, for that matter) has Doug sounded so fragile, so fallibly human. Some dismiss his voice as high-pitched, whiney, nasally, etc., and they wouldn’t necessarily be wrong. However, once you make it past the surface you find a very earnest performer, totally capable conveying complex emotions through song. Despite some miscues, Doug Martsch’s foray into solo acoustic work is pretty damn good, and a must for any Built To Spill fan. So now you know.

Built to Spill There's Nothing Wrong with Love311 Grassroots
Janelle Monae Metropolis Suite I of IV: The Chase311 Music
Red Hot Chili Peppers One Hot MinuteBayside Acoustic

June 11th 2009

What happened to my italics? BTS fans, get this.

thebhoy
June 11th 2009

I will get this.

June 12th 2009

No love whatsoever for the Martsch man, very sad indeed.

ClearTheLane
June 18th 2009

I got this just now. Doug is a genius. High expectations, although this album doesn't seem to be regarded as a huge success...

June 18th 2009

don't let the early middle turn you off...dream and impossible are two of my favorite Doug-penned tunes ever

But yeah, Doug's voice + slide guitar doesn't scream accessability

PuddleSwimmer
June 26th 2009

I'm definitely out to get this today or tomorrow

Foxhound
January 16th 2010

Good review but not something I'm to interested in.

January 16th 2010

i had no idea this existed. i'm so getting this now.

Kiran
January 16th 2010

whaaaaaat, he has solo material?! need

January 16th 2010

i dunno what to think of this.

January 16th 2010

It funny for me to imagine people listening to this for the first time if they aren't BTS fanboys.

Adam Thomas you think 2.5, but you're wrong.

January 16th 2010

i was more like a 3-3.5. it's just so...

January 16th 2010

Jangly? Grating? Yeah, I was too generous with my rating. The album has a few gaping holes but IMO starts and finishes strong with a few amazing standouts.

January 16th 2010

it's getting over that for my mind doug martsch =/= acoustic blues

January 16th 2010

Then remind yourself that this isn't acoustic blues, and that Dream captures a sense of mystery and longing most aren't aware actually exist, yet alone can be translated sonically.

HankHillsAcidTrip
February 17th 2010

I was a little disappointed by this at first, and I stopped listening. But I started it again later, and it's actually got some pretty cool songs on it.

February 18th 2010

I just love dream to death...every time I listen to it a tear wells up

November 20th 2010

I'm now convinced that Impossible is one of the best songs he's ever penned.

thebhoy
November 20th 2010

ughhhh this is the only thing I'm missing from my Doug Marstch relic

ExcentrifugalForz
February 26th 2014

sounds very much like BTS demos

the album really gets good half way through

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento