Eels
Hombre Lobo

by robin EMERITUS
June 1st, 2009 | 22 replies

Review Summary: If 2009 is to be a year of woe, you can half-count E out.

It’s been four years, but Mark ‘E’ Everett is off-the-bat obvious – “I’ve been through a lot/and you can’t scare me - in a less obvious way. Since his sophomore release, Electro-Shock Blues, most fans have been under the impression E was retelling the longest autobiography ever made. It reached insane, melodramatic heights the last time we saw him – which was four years ago – but so long since it all began, and with a thirty-three song blockbuster about his life in painful endurance put to rest, E has a new mind. I still don’t know whether I want it to stay.

Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire seems to weigh in on two accounts – there are parts of this new personality you are certainly not supposed to like, anyway. His mind is littered with sleaze at these points, with his most rockin’ song ever “Tremendous Dynamite” boasting a guitar rage so sly it screams restraining orders. On “Lilac Breeze” he is just as much a stalker, writing the most psychotic and musically inept moment in his entire career.

So, he presents a man undecided; at points, he’s acting out a new role as the pervert, the creep, etc. Essentially, it’s harder to believe (or listen to) moments such as “Lilac Breeze” because he doesn’t seem to have experienced this weirdness as much as he has his other, authentic world – when sanity is back, it’s just incredible. “The Longing” doesn’t need to sound like his back catalogue to be as ever daunting – it’s longing, heartfelt (all with just one melody), but still loud and trapped in Hombre Lobo’s sinister microcosm. And it’s the very same treatment given to “The Look You Give That Guy”, where all E needs is to be pensive and awkward, as opposed to dangerous.

That said, E hasn’t been this gritty since Beautiful Freak, an aggressive pantomime of that lovely home-town Echo Park. With that in mind, a forgotten E prowls streets for the seventh record. “Fresh Blood” is a perfectly convicted example, dark beats and bass constructing the album’s late night intention. Here he pleas Sweet baby, I need fresh blood – in itself, a new side of Eels’ brainchild – and yet, it isn’t enough. When the catchiest moment of Hombre Lobo is E’s shattered werewolf howl, it’s as if he really has accomplished the tainted bliss he wanted.

Balance may never have been his forte, as much as the instrumentation on Blinking Lights and other Revelations feigned, but E’s self-imposed ‘concept album’ turns into the perfect challenge. Desire – the album’s theme - is given the go-ahead to flow loosely, and rightly so: by setting a task, E actually works his brain into every little aspect of it, as opposed to that sombre sound you’ve heard so many times before. E seems to play out two album finales. Raw, relaxed guitar strums make merry on “Beginner’s Luck” and instil a needed sunshine walkabout into the album. Following on are cold and echoed riffs, giving the night back to Hombre Lobo in “Ordinary Man”, which checks out E’s one night stand with perversion neither one way or the other: twelve tracks of filthy thoughts, and you don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Stream at http://www.myspace.com/eels

Sharon Van Etten Are We ThereHis Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of Arson
Superchunk I Hate MusicThe Weakerthans Reconstruction Site
The Waterboys This Is the SeaOwen At Home With Owen
thinkfull (4)
Sex, werewolves, and true love; Mark Oliver Everett moves beyond his past into a future remarkably l...

Minus The Flair
June 1st 2009

quite dig this band, will probably check this out. great review.

Athom
June 1st 2009

listening now. good stuff.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

June 1st 2009

i just wish he had cut "lilac breeze" out of it to be honest.

gaslightanthem
June 1st 2009

I've noticed you listening to this on lastfm but idk I wasn't sure about checking it out

I probably will however, good review as always

June 1st 2009

awesome review. it's been a LONG time since i've listened to the Eels. probably about 4 years or so

SeaAnemone

20374 Comments

this looks nice... can't be near as good as Electro-Shock though

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

shindip
June 1st 2009

wasnt beautiful freak his first album

Chewie

I probably will however, good review as always

well of course he's nice to the girls

gaslightanthem

what

Tits McGee
June 1st 2009

another fine example of derekchewie's mental retardation.

and an excellent review as well. i'm not big on Eels though.

someone's confused

June 2nd 2009

beautiful freak was his first release, sorry for confusion (i put 'sophomore' infront of electro shock blues anyway). just making the point electro shock was his first 'confessional' album in my view.

June 2nd 2009

oh i meant derekchewie being confused. I'm still debating getting this album. Blinking Lights is an amazing album though

mvdu
June 2nd 2009

Wow this is lo-fi, sometimes to the point of being rough on the ears. But it has some great moments, like "In My Dreams."

June 2nd 2009

yeah, that track is such a throwback to his old stuff in every way though

AggravatedYeti
June 4th 2009

I really want this -- I listened to a few of the songs on MySpace and they were great.

June 4th 2009

it's actually out now. i pre-ordered some massive version ages ago : )

AggravatedYeti
June 4th 2009

so this is all really good. It's a total retread of everything they've done, but E seems to continue to do it all exceptionally well, with a sense of freshness. And at least it's no fucking 'Shootenanny!'.

Douchebag
June 6th 2009

Eels, Eels, Eels, Eels
Eels up inside ya', Findin' an' enterance where they can!

Zip
June 6th 2009

How has this been a year of woe at all???