Kansas
Point of Know Return

good

by Brennan Barfuss USER (2 Reviews)
May 27th, 2009 | 20 replies | 6,983 views

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Point of Know Return seems to click with the 40-50 year old demographic, if only for nostalgia. Younger listeners will find it to be interesting at times but ultimately mediocre.

Kansas had already gained popularity with their breakthrough album Leftoverture, paving the way for Point of Know Return, which produced such singles as Portrait (He Knew), Point of Know Return and the immortal Dust in the Wind. Kansas earned a place in classic rock history with this their 5th studio album , and created an decent prog/arena rock album.

Kansas makes use of the keyboard to build an album full oscillating synth, giving their music a very turbulent feeling. However because of clean, Boston-esque vocals and the use of piano and acoustic guitar, the music is still quite accessible. Point of Know Return showcases both sides of Kansas very well with songs like Dust In the Wind, being one of classic rock’s greatest and most popular songs ever with it’s unforgettable acoustic riff and thought-inducing lyrics. The more progressive side of Kansas is best displayed in songs like Paradox, with few vocals and tenacious , dynamic riffs and synth.

The main problem that arises in the dual-personality of Point of Know Return is that Kansas isn’t the best at either of their styles. While listening to the more appealing and melodic tracks I can’t help but thinking of similarities to Boston’s untouchable self-titled debut album, and finding Kansas to be greatly inferior. Then while listening to their unconventional and scattered progressive tracks, I can’t help wishing I was listening to more stimulating prog like Moving Pictures by Rush.

Point of Know Return has a good variety of tracks and may be worth a listen to some fans of classic rock and prog rock. The album seems to click with the 40-50 year old demographic, if only for nostalgia. Younger listeners like me will find it to be interesting at times but ultimately mediocre.