Au Revoir Simone
Still Night, Still Light

by Mike Stagno EMERITUS
May 17th, 2009 | 10 replies | 8,948 views

Review Summary: Still Night, Still Light is a safe album by a band that doesn't seem to care whether they're playing it safe or not.

2009 has offered up a variety of quality indie-pop records, ranging from the artsy Dance Mother of Brooklyn duo Telepathe, to Metric's sensual Fantasies, and even the youthful, sometimes-likeable-sometimes-irritating dream-pop of The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's eponymous album. Despite taking on a vaguely similar form and structure, Au Revoir Simone's sound stakes claim to a ground not quite as often explored by their more dance-orientated contemporaries. Perhaps it's due to the simplicity of Au Revoir Simone's latest release, Still Night, Still Light, but there is a charming innocence to the all-girl trio that permeates through the record's twelve tracks that makes them a real treat to listen to.

Each of Au Revoir Simone's three members bring a different musical background to the band. Where in the past the trio would make a more conscious effort in incorporating each of these influences, which range from folk to punk, Still Night, Still Light is a more meticulously crafted record. You wouldn't know it when listening though, as the album's flow is natural and easy to digest. There isn't a difficult moment on Still Night, Still Light; songs like "Another Likely Story" and "Knight of Wands" are pleasant cuts that generate appeal through blissful, electronic melodies. The stark minimalism that Au Revoir Simone uses to achieve this state of serenity is one of the band's more endearing qualities. Voices, keyboards, and a drum machine make up the entirety of Au Revoir Simone's instrumental repertoire, a characteristic that exerts itself in varying degrees throughout Still Night, Still Light. "Shadows" isn't quite as upbeat as the majority of the album, but it still manages to be one of the record's busier tracks; harmonized keyboards provide a subtle, yet effective touch, while rich vocal lines take forefront, giving the song a soothing edge. "Anywhere You Looked" is a similar, albeit more upbeat piece, and is the most memorable song Still Night, Still Light has to offer. "We Are Here" takes things in a different direction, stripping down the sound completely, and embracing a slower, sparser structure.

Still Night, Still Light is a fairly safe album by a band that doesn't seem to care whether they're playing it safe or not. This works out as both a positive and a negative for Au Revoir Simone; virtually every song is fun to listen to, but at the same time, the album can sound a little same-y from time to time. Still Night, Still Light features two types of songs: those of the fast paced variety, or an assortment more laidback ventures. While the semi-uniform sound and structure of Still Night, Still Light doesn't really hinder Au Revoir Simone in a major way, it would be nice to see the trio take a risk or two. But then again, maybe it isn't such a big deal. The line "Getting drunk in taxi cabs / And writing names on backs of hands…" in "Trace a Line" sum up the band's attitude well. Essentially, Still Night, Still Life is a fun, carefree listen and doesn't pretend to be anything more. As an added bonus, it's also a clear improvement over the band's past works as well.

Funeral for a Friend ConduitPropagandhi Failed States
Tycho DiveMegadeth Th1rt3en
Fair to Midland Arrows and AnchorsArch Enemy Khaos Legions

May 17th 2009

This is definitely cool. Nice review. Inspired to get this, Another Likely Story is bundles of joy.

StreetlightRock
May 17th 2009

I like this its nice and poppy, but its not much else. I think one of the members said they had all died and went to keyboard heaven, its sorta true.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Mikesn
May 17th 2009

Balls, it's streaming from their myspace if you want to hear the rest. I think you'd definitely like this.

Haha yeah, basically

May 17th 2009

Yeah, i'm picking up a nice vibe with this. If Best Buy will carry this I will most likely purchase along with Rise Of The Lycans.

thebhoy
May 17th 2009

will listen to, I see they are playing some shows with The Antlers, so that's promising.

NortherlyNanook
May 20th 2009

yeah, hoping to see them with the antlers in SB.

i had this pushed on me today, and it's pretty good.

AtavanHalen
May 21st 2009

ARS are sweet. I might check this out.

Meatplow
May 22nd 2009

This group sounds up my alley.

starry
October 23rd 2010

This is a good album. Safe? Well I don't think putting alot of melody in your music is safe nowadays, pop music like that has actually gone underground in the West lol. So on those kind of terms you could say it's daring. :D And of course some of the music which is alot more pretentious can have quite a hollow core. So judging it on what it is actually trying to do, which is the best way imo, this is pretty much a success. I'll give it 3.5 (very good), but note there are some classic songs on here like Another Likely Story and Shadows, which are far better than some more acclaimed less melodic pop groups.

August 7th 2012