The Gorgeous
Great Lakes

good

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
May 8th, 2009 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Great Cd for a few listens, but it grows old quickly as per the lack of originality.

Upon first hearing Ontario's 'The Gorgeous', who broke up a few years back, I thought they were simply amazing. Of course, at the time I was much younger and hadn't exposed myself to music as I now diligently do. Don't get me wrong, the Cd is good, hell, some songs on it pass for great, but the thing that attributes for the loss in points, is that 'Great Lakes' lacks creativity and replayability, though the two go hand in hand.

The Gorgeous play metalcore, which means that, though they're extremely talented in what they do, it's nothing new, nor very exciting. Now when I had first heard this I hadn't the faintest idea of what metalcore was or consisted of, and this gave me a completely different stance on the album. Perhaps Cd's shouldnt be judged in comparison to others, but at the same time, they must, or a rating wouldn't be applicable and each album would be unmeasurable.

What surprised me about the CD was the last song. Compared to the rest of the album, the last song (Dumb and Dahmer), is inexpliquably atmospheric, closing the debut (and final) cd of a scarcely known, yet immensely talented group, quite effectively. The songs tend to range from 3 and a half minutes to 5 minutes tops, and dont leave any room for melodic interludes or acoustic jams. But what they lack for in melody they make up for in intensity.

Now when reading this one's stomach would probably shrink and they would immediately compare this to Norma Jean or the Chariot in terms of sound, but this is actually quite accurate, save for the vocals. What seperates these guys from bands such as that is the screaming. The vocals of The Gorgeous incluse singing in many songs, or yelling with almost singing intended and their songs are typically more melodic than the other two groups i mentioned.

The thing that ruined this album for me was the lack of replayability due to all the songs sounding the same, or very similar. If the band had chosen to vary their sound they could have accomplished something well worth a 4 or 5 in my books, but instead it seems like much of their talent was wasted in chugging background guitar and inaudable bass instead of showcasing their abilities. Not one solo is on this album, though that isn't a bad thing.

Too bad the band has broken up, I would've liked to see their second effort, with a little creativity this band would've made a step in the right direction and advanced their career effectively.

Note-Worthy songs: (Yes, the song names are stupid)
Lake Ontario
King Of The Delta Blues
Dumb and Dahmer

Meshuggah obZenPelican What We All Come To Need
Becoming The Archetype DichotomyNo Hawaii Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP
Seneca ReflectionsRosesdead Stages

thejared
May 8th 2009

meh review .. not great but not horribe - about the same as the band.. the lyrics to this are pretty damn atrocious and theres absolutely no originality but I sorta like it just for the fun factor .. oh and it should be "Broken up" instead of borken up! This Message Edited On 05.08.09

May 8th 2009

i think this album kicks ass.

Digging: Devil Sold His Soul - Belong ? Betray

Slimjim367
May 8th 2009

lol sorry for any typos, im fixing them whenyou guys tell me, i was on lunch hour when i wrote this so it was rushed (thats twhy the review may lack uin qulaity also, i didnt realy give it mucht hought before as i normally do, jsut kind of jumped in)

Slimjim367

p.s.
dont get me wrong, i like the cd, im trying to judge it from a neutral perspective

mathcorejunkie
April 29th 2010

this body of water will knock up your daughter

a friend of mine went swimming in lake ontario after getting his nipple pierced and it got all infected and started to puss LOL

May 4th 2011

more people should know about this.

Spec

finally!

Album slays.

Hopelust
March 6th 2013

I really have to disagree with the summary of this review. There's originality spilling over the top in this album. Love the vocals, and there are so many standout riffs that make this album worthwhile.