NOFX
Coaster

by Adam Thomas STAFF
April 29th, 2009 | 48 replies | 19,781 views

Review Summary: NOFX being NOFX

Formed in 1983, NOFX have spent the last two and a half decades churning out record after record of sometimes political, sometimes raucous, and usually drunken punk. Much like long running So-Cal peers Bad Religion, Fat Mike and co. have become content with the sounds that have come to personify their career. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, NOFX continue to kick out the jams in the same straight forward fashion as they did on 1994's Punk In Drublic and 1997's So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes, although with a tad bit less intensity. Taking this into consideration, it would be a smart bet to say that Coaster, the band's twelfth album, will just be another collection of the same old self deprecating humor and linear politics. You know what? You'd be right.

Luckily for NOFX, this is a good thing. Even though they have stuck to the same formula for as long as most of the band's current generation of fans have been alive, they do it pretty damn well. Coaster is no exception. Everything that one would expect to find on a NOFX album is contained in its thirty-three minute run time. Short, feel good, mini anthems filled with Fat Mike's trademark ruminations on substance abuse (“The Quitter”), politics (“We Called It America”), and religion (“Best God In Show”). While the general template of up-tempo punk beat, power chords and the occasional El Hefe solo remains relatively unchanged, Fat Mike's outlook has changed to match his age. At 42 years old, he still sings about the finer things in life: drugs, alcohol, awkward social situations with famous lesbians due to said drugs and alcohol (“Creeping Out Sarah”), but now with a clear recollection that weighs the good with the bad. This leads to the occasional brake in Mike's usual existentialism through schoolboy humor approach with tracks like the surprisingly open “My Orphan Year” and the bittersweet nostalgia of “One Million Coasters”.

Despite this sometimes reflective lyrical approach, the best moments on Coaster are classic NOFX, as seen in the album's best track “Eddie, Bruce and Paul”. “Eddie, Bruce and Paul” is a humorous retelling of Paul DiAnno's departure from metal legends Iron Maiden that witnesses the rebirth of El Hefe. He flat out rips, laying down impressive lead fills, and anchoring the song with a solo that lives up to the association with the song's subject matter. Fat Mike also takes a few jabs at DiAnno's replacement, the almighty Bruce Dickinson, as he spits out “Kudos to Paul, **** you Bruce/ How you supposed to rock n roll without substance abuse/ number of the beast is in bed with Rob and Judas Priest,” before showing off his pipes with a hilarious display of falsetto. The final result is a wonderfully disrespectful homage.

Coaster is NOFX doing what they always have done and, in reality, who would want it any other way? NOFX have become a reassuring constant that is blissfully nostalgic, yet remains fresh and relevant. That's no small feat for a group of middle-aged alcoholics.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
3.3

Jom
April 29th 2009

Their best album since Punk in Drublic. Obviously that doesn't say much, but it's nice to hear a record from these guys that isn't all STFU BUSH IZ GHEY.

April 29th 2009

Cover may be satirical, but it really does seem to embody everything about how I feel about NOFX.

xequalscore
April 29th 2009

I really like the retro looking album cover. Other than that NOFX aren't really my cup of tea. I don't actually like tea in general...

Athom
April 29th 2009

i like how the vinyl is called Frisbee.

April 29th 2009

i like how the vinyl is called Frisbee.

Awesome packaging an awesome album do not make.

kitsch
April 29th 2009

idk black moses's def helped

and nofx sux

Willie
April 29th 2009

Great review. I haven't really loved a NoFx album since "White Trash", but I buy them anyway.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

ataraxia01
April 29th 2009

Album is awesome. "My Orphan Year" and "No God in Show" are some of the best things they have written.

Iluvatar
April 29th 2009

Gotta say this album is not good

April 29th 2009

I couldn't even bother reviewing it, and this is around the time every year when I re-enter my "aw, I used to love NOFX" nostalgic stage. Fat Mike sounds absolutely bored out of his mind on this.

Ire
April 29th 2009

Okay album I do love TWOE.

Douchebag
April 29th 2009

"Fat Mike sounds absolutely bored out of his mind on this."

I can't really stand the guys voice. but to be honest I only heard one album.

April 29th 2009

His tone is really nasally and irritating but it used to be in the best possible way. He always sounded like he cared, like this snotty kid, and now he just sounds like the snotty kid's grandfather.

April 29th 2009

^ Neither of those sound appealing in the slightest.

howard stern would agree

Athom
April 30th 2009

im really enjoying this more with each listen. might bump it to a 4.

Edit: Bumped.This Message Edited On 04.30.09

easylee
April 30th 2009

Awesome packaging an awesome album do not make.
ur an idiot

look i can state the obvious 2!

StrizzMatik

Hate is misplaced

Album is definitely better than WIWC and probably better than TWOE

And it's fun to listen to

But I think Fat Mike needs to go to an AA meeting for realz

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

dub sean

I loved Wolves in Wolves' Clothing! ^

I love One Million Coasters, the rest of the album is average.

Chewie
April 30th 2009

loved the ending of the review