Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Funk Man (The Stimulus Package)

good

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
April 13th, 2009 | 43 replies | 13,805 views

Review Summary: Eight years in the making, Eleventh Hour was brutally mediocre. Eight months later, Del seeks redemption.

Most renowned for seemingly LSD-induced storytelling through the eyes of alter-ego Deltron Zero, the critics haven’t been so kind to Del The Funky Homosapien since the turn of the century. Deltron 3030 was no doubt a timeless classic, expounding a digital conspiracy theory at the hands (or decks) of Dan Nakamura. The problem with participating in a project this momentous, while simultaneously releasing the indelible Both Sides of the Brain, is the near complete impossibility of meeting critical expectations. Eight years later, 2008’s The Eleventh Hour proved this unfortunate assertion; eight months later, Funk Man is the realization of this egregious mistake. Not only free (one of several hundreds of current ad campaigns claiming “Stimulus Package” rights), this release truly hearkens back to funkier times and is exactly what the disappointed homosapien supporter was hoping for. Albeit very repetitious, the slap and pop bass lines drive home the point; the funk man is back. A talented producer in his own right, Del is easily capable of walking without Automator support; some of these more creative musings are apparent with the poppy “Simple Satisfaction” and the dissonant “News Alert”.

Make no mistake – everything about Funk Man bleeds and smells funk. As is expected in every American business sector currently, Del stays conservative and shies away from risk. One could argue that, thematically, this displays incredible insight – yet in all truthfulness, it’s obvious this was just a quick and to-the-point machination of funk. Lyrically, he’s as completely odd as ever, and while not to the magnitude of a space age hip-hopera, it’s refreshing to see his old fashioned braggadocio revived. From being so tight as to require “Smellin’ [him]self”, to the typical west coast themes of “Sometimes I Gotta Get Stupid”, Del is the lyrical incarnation of a wizard scientist. Escaping a high energy field in “News Alert” is a perfect example of this nearly nonsensical brand of melodic, multisyllabic sci-fi rap. Dark matter voids, nucleo-ionic fields, continuums of all shapes and sizes – all fair game here. Imagine if the man actually mastered self when returning from his self-induced Eleventh Hour hell (see “And They Thought That Was Hell”). No, this isn’t Deltron II… and it’s not supposed to be. Appreciate this stimulus package for the copious amounts of scientifical funk within – and hope for better days to come.

3.2 / 5

Download Funk Man (The Stimulus Package) for free: http://delthefunkyhomosapien.bandcamp.com/album/funk-man-the-stimulus-package

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run The Jewels Run The JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler The Creator Wolf
3.2
good

DaveyBoy

20824 Comments

As efficient a review as ever Sobhi. Refresh my memory, what was the mainstream hit this guy had back in the '90s?

irishmanshibby

Mistadobalina?

yep that was it.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

DaveyBoy

20824 Comments

Yes, of course. How could I forget Bob!?

April 13th 2009

Remember everyone, you can download this for free:

poweroftheweez

just got it last night.
have yet to listen to it.

fireaboveicebelow

fun record, thats it

ninjuice
April 13th 2009

I still need to listen to this in full. Hopefully I'll like it more.

Summary should be "About as effective as the real stimulus packages".

April 13th 2009

i was thinking about it, but i honestly couldn't bring myself to bring yet another play on stimulus package to the fold. also, i couldn't beat this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7KRHV-FIQ

MassiveAttack
April 13th 2009

Del seems boring I still think Both Sides of the Brain is his best album. I don't think I'll check this out =(

Edit: mistake on album lol

This Message Edited On 04.13.09

Yazz_Flute
April 13th 2009

I thought this was a great record...solid 3.5 for me. Go Against the Grain is my favorite.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

foreverendeared
April 13th 2009

I like this a lot. great, great review

April 13th 2009

I'm including this in the free music feature. Would you mind if I just stole a quote from this review?

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

foreverendeared
April 13th 2009

sweet. i was wondering when volume 2 of the free music feature was gonna come out!

April 13th 2009

It should be done by the end of the week. As far as when it will actually be posted, I think Dave has a few things ahead of this.

absurdismwine
April 13th 2009

Fantastic review, it was completely smooth all the way through. You explained him very interestingly, and I completely agree.

thanks...

go for it trey; make sure to include pax & pry with vol 2 also.

April 13th 2009

Thanks. Consider them added.

bastard
April 13th 2009

man, del's last album was pretty bad, I don't feel like checking this puppy out, even if its a small improvement.

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

It's decent, really fun the first couple of spins.