Odium (CAN)
At the Bottom

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
April 1st, 2009 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: These guys receive a gold star for sounding spot on in the "let's try to imitate Soilwork" contest.

Odium – At The Bottom

Wow, if a band was ever going for gold in the “let’s sound like Soilwork” contest, these guys would be at the top. It’s no secret that the Swedish melodeath sound has harboured a seemingly infinite array of bands (do Swedes, guitars and long hair sprout out of the ground like trees there?), and we now even have Swedish semi-metal with chicks (i.e. Sonic Syndicate), but the whole fad seems to have infected Canada too, by the looks of it. These guys are so into Soilwork and In Flames, that if they hadn’t titled their songs differently I could have mistaken them for a cover band.

If that doesn’t give you enough clues about what this sounds like, let me give you a few pointers. There are semi-groovy Iron Maidenish riffs (like In Flames), a combination of clean, screamed and growled vocals (like In Flames and Soilwork), unmemorable but solid rhythm section with some metallish breakdowns (like In Flames, but more like Soilwork), and subtle touches of melodic keyboard work that don’t completely overpower but add another layered touch (like, again, Soilwork and In Flames). In fact, if someone would have put “Stabbing the Drama” or “My Sweet Shadow” or something like that on this disc, it would have fit like a glove.

So, these guys aren’t original at all. They’re, however, not, ***ty at what they do. Odium seems to have the songwriting down pat: the songs seem to fit together perfectly; the riffs are stale, but they work in context; there are the mandatory semi-gay and super catchy clean choruses you’ve come to expect; but it’s all so old. It’s so boring. It feels like we’ve been here before, and we don’t like going over it again. They aren’t even bad at it. It’s just a “been there, done that” kind of thing. No self-respecting metalhead would be annoyed with this in the background; it just doesn’t lend itself to repeated listening well. It doesn’t hold up. It’s like that take away dinner students eat. It’s nice when you eat it, but you feel absolutely nothing afterwards. There’s nothing more to it.

There’s not really much left to say about this. It’s so standard, so paint-by-numbers, that anything you could say about this record has been done before. Even the production is so perfect and normal it’s almost a crime. It’s like a metal replica. And I am sorry, but more than competent is not going to be the norm this day, and it never will be. If these guys want to get better, they have to think of a way to sound more unique because this comfort zone is occupied. Good luck to you, because if you can play In Flames almost as good as In Flames can these days, you should have the skills to put your own spin on it. Just actually get round to doing it the next time, please.

Odium get 5 replicas of Anders Friden out of 10.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
Darion Paone (2.5)
Dull, boring, dull, boring, dull, boring....

Altmer
April 1st 2009

Boring record, boring review.

April 1st 2009

Ok I was listening to the wrong Odium myspaces, both from Scandinavia. Ok and Germany too. Does this fucking band even have a myspace? I cant find a fucking Odium from canada. Spot me sir. And, uhh, great review. if this sounds like anything from stabbing The Drama i'll love it.

Digging: She Past Away - Belirdi Gece

Altmer
April 1st 2009

the press paper thingy says these fuckers are from Canada and they are on Year of the Sun records

April 1st 2009

Alright, found it. Intro to title tarck is pretty epic. Love those synths and that opening riff. This might work for me.

Song is awesome. Will pursue this after all.This Message Edited On 04.01.09

Jom
April 1st 2009

Sounds like my cup of tea!

Jom
April 1st 2009

Okay, so I listened to the four songs on their MySpace... and this is not my thing after all. The clean vocals on "Oblivion's Gates" are pretty good, though.

OllieS

2031 Comments

Review reads like a 2, or maybe that'd just me not being able to stand unoriginal albums...insightful as always Altmer.

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

Happy 150th review Altmer.

Pebster49
April 2nd 2009

Sounds a lot better than what Soilwork sounds like now, LOL.

Crysler
May 15th 2012

Oh come on guys, it's a decent piece of metal

July 31st 2012