Eighteen Visions
Until the Ink Runs Out

by Karl V.H. USER (85 Reviews)
March 6th, 2009 | 15 replies | 7,781 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Metalcore that slipped under the radar.

Despite Eighteen Visions ‘tried-and-failed’ commercial albums (Obsession and the laughable Eighteen Visions), the band was an actual player in amongst their O.C. metalcore scene. Their sophomore album Until the Ink Runs Out is a tremendous step up from their debut Lifeless and contains a rarely found, recognizable song writing approach that seems to be lost in the vast land of metalcore bands that simply rely too heavily on using a breakdown as the crutch to their songs.

Upon first listen, you will instantly realize that Until the Ink Runs Out is created from a murky production that coats the music in a very eerie tone, giving this metalcore a very filthy feel. Yet somehow, the murky tone is balanced extremely well with a sound that’s equally brutal and clear at the same time. Between pummelling you with slam-dance breakdowns and hooks that you could visualize a swing-crane knocking down buildings to, Eighteen Visions dabbles in the art of movie making as well. Besides this being rather obvious through songs titles, this is quite apparent on the song ‘Champagne and Sleeping Pills’, opening with a famous scene from Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece “The Shining” and ending on a repetitively hypnotic line, making hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. A lot of bands use soundclips to enhance a feel to a song but Eighteen Visions tastefully approaches the use of movie mayhem and amalgamates it into their brand of creepy metalcore effortlessly. Noteworthy ‘Elevator Music/ The Nothing’ uses a similar approach; the song spastically runs out the door and incorporates an uncomfortable passage midway through the song that is truly disturbing.

What more is there to say about a metalcore record besides breakdown after breakdown? Until the Ink Runs Out may offer something for metalcore fans that are tired of the sub-genre that has completely run itself into the ground. Until the Ink Runs Out puts most metalcore to shame and should be recognized for its honest brutality and creative/ frighteningly nightmarish song writing.

The Austerity Program Beyond CalculationGodflesh Pure
Sun Worship Elder GiantsLord Mantis Death Mask
Horseback Piedmont ApocryphaCarcass Surgical Steel
3.1
good

Wizard

19335 Comments

Yet another resubmit.

And to all who comment on my reviews hogging the front page of the metal section, kiss my ass.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

March 6th 2009

Obsession was pretty cool and self titled had one really bad ass song. Were their any Bleeding Through/ Throwdown members present on this album? Because I know Dave Peteres and Brandon Schippiati played with this band early on.

bastard

you should move your rating to 3.5

this was a good review though.

KYZAR
March 6th 2009

Cool looks pretty good, song structure is always good too.

Wizard
March 7th 2009

19335 Comments

Were their any Bleeding Through/ Throwdown members present on this album?

In fact I believe, they were. Unfortunately only one of the two went on to bigger and better things. Guess which one?

you should move your rating to 3.5

I think a 3 is appropriate because it's metalcore and I don't particularly enjoy Drop-C downtuned chugging too much anymore; it's going to remain a 'Good' rating. The reason my review is a 3.5 is because this is far better then about 75% of the metalcore community.

bastard
March 7th 2009

i guess that makes sense

still

DeadToPain
August 30th 2009

just listened to "Wine 'Em, Dine 'Em, Sixty-Nine 'Em" again, and forgot how much I love that song. This album is pretty solid when stacked up to their other releases, but that's not saying much. Good, concise review.

June 28th 2012

This album is awesome

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

January 6th 2013

Been listening to this hard lately

February 22nd 2013

It truly upsets me how underrated this album is

March 19th 2013

FOUR COMMENTS IN A ROW. "She Looks Good In Velvet" may be my favorite song by these guys. Definitely my favorite off of this album.

DegausserGuernica24
August 19th 2013

Was this band the first to use a flashy, scene-like font for their logo?

JustinKing
August 19th 2013

Probably one of the first. They used to be influenced by a lot of DM back in the day, so it kinda makes sense.

qiblas
October 7th 2013

Magnificent album. Makes me wanna belly flop on to concrete.

JustinKing
October 7th 2013

I like Vanity more than this, but damn, these guys used to be a really good metalcore group.