Scale The Summit
Carving Desert Canyons

by Adam Thomas STAFF
March 1st, 2009 | 90 replies | 23,209 views

Review Summary: An instrumental journey for the metal head.

Prosthetic Records is by far one of the last places I would look to find quality progressive metal. Lo and behold, tucked away behind the tech-metal wankery and monotonous core-chug lies Scale the Summit. Carving Desert Canyon's is the Texas instrumental-prog outfit's first release on Prosthetic records and second after their self released debut, 2007's Monument. Where their debut was a somewhat cumbersome, technicality for technicality's sake affair, Carving Desert Canyons sees Scale the Summit embracing a more scaled back and refined sound.

Unlike 99% of instrumental prog-metal bands out there, Scale the Summit never over do it. Instead relying on the cold and calculated scale worship of their peers, Carving Desert Canyons is built on a foundation of technical, yet warm and flowing melodies that brings to mind the likes of Between the Buried and Me and Opeth. The album's softer moments of leisurely, major key leads create an uplifting sense of tranquility that burst into heavy sections of beautiful arpeggios, sustain rich soloing, and eight-string low end. The math-rock influence that was at the forefront of their debut is almost entirely abandoned but it still peeks out here and there. On "The Great Plains," the silky smooth lead work of the song's first half subsides into a quirky jam of Don Caballero-esque poly rhythmic tapping that closes out the track in a wondrous fashion.

Carving Desert Canyons is a massive step forward for Scale the Summit. Not only have they managed to create a sublime progressive metal album, they did it without ever having to fall back on the Dream Theater idolatry that plagues even the best of bands. To that I say, "Bravo!"

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
Comeback Kid Die KnowingSlough Feg Digital Resistance
Jeremy Price (3)
Carving Desert Canyons shows potential, but suffers from a severe repetition of sound and form....

Comatorium. (4.5)
Billions of years ago, the land was barren, then, nature took it's course in the form of "Scale The ...

TheImpervious
March 4th 2009

Nice concise review; I usually find myself just skimming through other more verbose, masturbatory reviews. I can see this band getting more hype on Sputnik when they build up some more steam

playswithpassion
March 25th 2009

These guys got it right the second time around for sure. Good review.

MassiveAttack
March 26th 2009

This album feels a lot heavier, probably because the production is better. I'm still listening though its pretty good.

SE262
April 7th 2009

Awsome cd

May 3rd 2009

most favourite instrumental artist is prolly these guys

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

marksellsuswallets
May 4th 2009

Man the ending section of The Great Plains is stunning. I hope these guys get more attention down the road, they really deserve it...and Adam I had no idea you reviewed this, I was beginning to ponder the idea, haha.

Athom
May 4th 2009

they're on some good tours now, so things are looking up for em. i'm kinda bummed i missed these
guy's show with PTH, #12, and Misery Signals. This Message Edited On 05.04.09

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

marksellsuswallets
May 4th 2009

Yeah I'm kind of kicking myself for that. I figured since I'd already seen PTH and #12 at other shows this year I could skip this one since I'm not too big on MS and I'd never heard of these guys.

Taxt
May 4th 2009

The cover art/concept is kind of retarded, but the music is very solid.

Teddy Picker
May 5th 2009

Just saw them live with Protest The Hero and they were just amazing

May 5th 2009

was misery signals there?

Lucid
May 11th 2009

This is decent with occasional moments of brilliance. Thumbs up.

Digging: Wild Beasts - Present Tense

lobby
June 5th 2009

giants is the greatest...

rasputin
June 5th 2009

i'll scale your summit if you know what i mean

bastard

but i dont git it :-(

SavageCore
June 22nd 2009

sweet album, nice review.

combustion07
July 3rd 2009

The Great Plains is epic.

July 3rd 2009

what's with the lack of love for the other tracks? yes, that tapping at the end of Plains is wonderful, but that one song Age of the Tide is my favourite.

ianjulian
July 7th 2009

is ok

Nifkin
July 12th 2009

I seriously can't get enough of this album or this band. Chris is also the nicest person you'll ever meet.