Dead Kennedys
Frankenchrist

by USER (41 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2005 | 35 replies | 15,074 views

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

As most of you may know, I reviewed the other Dead Kennedys albums. I'm going in order and I've hit the third (and very different) DK album. I was out with my friends at Best Buy and I wanted another DK album. So I go into 'punk' and check out the selection. I was originally looking for Plastic Surgery Disasters but picked this up, as I have already heard most of PSD. So I get home and put this in my stereo. As it loads up I look at the back of the cd and notice that all of the songs but one are FOUR MINUTES max. That is one of the major problems with the album.

the Dead Kennedys were...
Jello Biafra - Vocals
East Bay Ray - Guitar
Klaus Flouride - Bass
D.H. Peligro - Drums

As the first track begins,Soup Is Good Food I think wow. Catchy riff but it doesn't sound like them at all. But I guess it's okay. As the song progresses the lyrics get better. It also has one of the coolest bridges ever. This song is a terribly misleading intro to the rest of the album. That is truyl sad because the next song is starting and here comes the disappointment.

Hellnation is the next song song on the album. The intro sounds cool but then goes into indistinct screaming. It sounds like garbage. I really dislike this song. At least it's the one that's only two min long.
Finally that's over but then we get to the epitome of stupidly long Dead Kennedy songs. This Could Be Anywhere is just dumb. It sounds bad. It's just Jello talking to himself behind East Bay Ownage's (Thanks to something vague I call him that now) guitar. It's really annoying and it's begging me to hit >>next as it rambles to a stop. Then we get to A Growing Boy Needs His Lunch. All I can say is that this definitley beats the previous song as the epitome of stupidly long DK songs. The lyrics are whined over the rambling guitar. As I write ths I begin to think that maybe the band took themselves wayyy to seriously at this point in their history. They tried to change genre to a generic polital rock band? Biggest mistake. There is nothing more I can say about the song I'm on. It's just bad. As the song wraps up we are now at our next destination.

Chicken Farm is our next stop. It sounds just like the previous crap wave. Plus, the only words I can make out are 'goin' down to the chicken farm'. Still to this day, I have no idea what the song is about. All I've been hearing for the past five minutes is Jello's percussion vox and some occasional "Ahhhhhhh-ing". What were they thinking? This song is balls. It's horrible amd ends fading into the next (and exceptional) song. Jock-O-Rama begins and this is the only song I can relate to the band's previous albums. It's like a mix between 'Terminal Preppie and 'Winnebago Warrior'. Plus I love the cheerleader bridge. It's great classic DK. Then it gets all sad and has a cliche` part where Jello (as coach) explains that a parents footbal playing son will never walk again. This is probably the 3rd best song here. With Soup Is Good Food being the 2nd, we'll see what is #1.

Goons Of Hazzard isn't a good song either. It's a bash on one of TV's favorite sitcoms. This song has nothing else to offer and then it ends. But what's that I hear. It's getting louder. That's right, as this song ends it fades into the number one spot. MTV Get Off The Air. the song begins with a sarcastic muffled voice bashing MTV. Then it goes into the classic feel that the first two albums gave. Then song is the fastest and the best on the album. I love it how the whole band screams in the chorus 'MTV GET OFF THE MTV GET OFF THE MTV GET OFF THE AIR!' This makes the album worthwhile. This one song. I also love how there is trumpet in the bridge which leads the to outro and the worst song in Dead Kennedys history.

At My Job. This is by far one of the worst songs I've ever heard. It's horrificly bad. The whole song is delivered by the overly powerful and not-so-special drum beat. Then Jello chants the lyrics which suck. 'Im sitting at my job, I'm so happy'. This is one of the worst songs I've ever heard and i will never EVER listen to it again. Up next is the whopping SIX MINUTE Stars And Stripes Of Corruption. Now I gotta say that this song really isn't that bad. But anything sounds good after that load of crap before this. The song is nothing special, it's the same basic drum-guitar-bass beat all the way through. But the beat is the classic feel like the other albums. No prog lines here! Anyway, this song is also really good and saves the album from anything lower than a 3.5 in my book.

In Conclusion
This is one of the weaker albums from the Dead Kennedys, and that's an understatement. There were a couple songs that saved this album. Those songs we're 'Soup Is Good Food, Jock-O-Rama, and MTV Get Off The Air. Without theese, this album would have been a total 1.5, no kidding. Anyway, definitley go for Fresh Fruit... or PSD if you want a DK album.

Pros
+MTV Get Off The Air
+Soup Is Good Food
+ At least the band didn't give up after this.

Cons
- Worst Dead Kennedys album.
- At My Job

Recommended Tracks, AKA The Fantastic Four
Soup Is Good Food
Jock-O-Rama
MTV Get Off The Air
Stars And Stripes Of Corruption?

*If you liked this review, please click 'YES' on wether it was helpful or not. Thanks :)

TV on the Radio Young LiarsHammock Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow
Russian Circles StationUnwound New Plastic Ideas
Helmet MeantimeStrike Anywhere Dead FM

July 22nd 2005

this really disappointed me. mehh

Let's Chop Cats!
July 23rd 2005

Wow, while it is written fine, your opinion sucks.

"generic polital rock band" They have always been political.

This album is amazing.

Bukowski
July 23rd 2005

Yeah, this is a superb album. I'd agree, 4.5/5.

And i don't agree with you about At my Job. I really like that song.

Good review, although we've obviously got different views.

July 23rd 2005

No, I know they have always been political, but that was the 80's punk thing. Trying to be like a modern rock band for instance "SoundGarden" is how most of the album sounded.

guns_of_brixton
August 3rd 2005

It isn't a bad review, but I think it's an awesome album. I'd give it 4.5.

And Goons of Hazzard really doesn't bash the TV show.

And I don't know much about Sputnik but can I also submit a review for this album? There's one sitting on my comp.

August 4th 2005

I must say that this album really grew on me. I'll go fix the rating...

Freddy_Ramone1987
September 8th 2005

I like the review. Nicely written, user friendly, overall quite nice. Although, it is a much better album than the review gives credit for.

Arrakakaka
September 25th 2005

Dissappointing album. The only track I listen to is "MTV Get Off The Air".

tom79
April 23rd 2006

Probably not the greatest of DK albums, but still not bad. yes, MTV Get Off The Air does rock.

Digging: Wipers - Youth of America

faultandfracture
November 12th 2007

my favorite dk album. i guess i'm weird.

natereiber2005
January 3rd 2008

I'm confused, he totally bashed the album and than gave it a 4 point rating.

flamethisuser
February 18th 2008

What an incredibly disjointed review. Oh well, I give it the same rating.

druglesshippie
April 3rd 2008

I don't know I really like this album, I would have to state the inverse and say that it is the best DK album...

sbragl
June 22nd 2008

All the 3 album of Dead Kennedys are different each other,so if the reviewer see it like Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables:The Veangeance,he went absolutely wrong.Frankenchrist is more dark,more psyco then the PSD or FFFRV...you must see in this point of view.Despites this the review is well written...

Platonism
September 15th 2008

MTV Get Off the Air is still one of my favorite songs of all-time.

Comrade
January 6th 2009

You pretty much said "this albums sucks" and gave it a 4 rating. :confused:

ManicDemise
January 7th 2009

You kinda bashed this album a little too much.
Dead Kennedys really experimented a lot on this one and that's what makes it so damn good.
The only song that you bashed that I agree with is This Could Be Anywhere..that one never grew on me. Aside from that, all the tracks are great. They have their weak points, but they're still excellent.
All the songs that you said were the bad ones are all really catchy, and they grow on you if you listen to them enough.
Stars And Stripes Of Corruption is brilliant, however. I don't listen to it too often, but it's probably the most impressive song on the album (lyric wise).
To further the bashing note; At My Job, yeah it's ridiculous and it's probably the worst on the album and one of their worst altogether, but that song is so bad that it's good, ya know? That doesn't make much sense, but oh well... I like it. This Message Edited On 01.06.09

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

rasputin

soup is good fooooood
it'd make a good meaaaal

Elegy1991
January 7th 2009

you seem to hate alot of aspects of the album but gave it a 4 rating? can you justify the rating in any way?

illmitch
January 8th 2009

This might be my favorite DK album, although Plastic Surgery Disasters (which I view as separate from In God We Trust, Inc., mostly because I listened to these albums on vinyl and don't have them on CD) comes in close. It's basically the epitome of their psycho surf rock sound, and I dunno, I just think it's genius. Still a pretty well-written review, though (even though I think you should have given it a lower rating if you only like 3 songs on it...think about it, does an album with only 3 songs deserve "excellent"?).