A Day to Remember

1.5
very poor

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
February 4th, 2009 | 919 replies | 86,894 views

Review Summary: Will the real New Found Glory, please stand up.

Back when A Day to Remember released their debut, And Their Name is Treason, it was a pretty big deal. At that point, metalcore hadn’t infested every post-hardcore/pop-punk band in America, and A Day to Remember’s strange combination of pop-punk hooks and metalcore riffs and breakdowns was sort of a novel idea, even if it was a little…gay. Two albums and nearly 4 years later, A Day to Remember haven’t seemed to progress that basic combination of ideas beyond tightening up the song writing to a degree, and while diehard fans of the band and genre enthusiasts (does pop-punk-metalcore have those?) might still be stoked on it, Homesick is an incredibly derivative and plodding record, and even worse is filled to the brim with laughable moments.

The album starts off with a low, guttural chant of da da dada’s, which is followed by a guitar riff following the same pattern. At the risk of breaking the fourth wall between me and you, I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. I had to listen to it a second time, convinced a band just wouldn’t do that to themselves. I was gravely mistaken. While a sense of humor is essential to most pop-punk bands success, this is just one example of embarrassing decisions by the band to include “memorable” moments in songs. I don’t want to share many more of them, as I don’t want to ruin the surprise for anyone who ventures forward and listens to the record, but expect to be immensely entertained sporadically by different sections of the album, for better or worse.

Every single song besides the final acoustic “ballad” follows the same type of formula: catchy verses, sing a long choruses, and so-heavy-your-head-is-going-to-fall-off-from-headbanging-so-hard breakdowns thrown in. It kind of works for the first three songs, as the Jimmy Eat World meets Atreyu “I’m Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?” (mhm, this is one of those albums) is surprisingly solid, the hook of “you know I’ve got you like a puppet in the palms of my hand” clashing perfectly with the growled parts right after. It’s a rare indication that if A Day to Remember either really focused on writing great songs consistently or wrote shorter albums, it perhaps could be salvaged.

Then again, this isn’t a 3 song EP, and there are 9 other songs. To be perfectly honest, I have played the album in its entirety 5 times, and I cannot remember one outstanding moment on any of these songs, just awful recollections of when a tolerable chorus was suddenly ruled by a HARDCORE gang shout or Bullet For My Valentine style breakdown. “You Already Know What You Are” is pretty much a minute and a half breakdown, and its about as good as you would expect that to be (hint: horrible). It’s like these guys listened to New Found Glory for years and decided that NFG had finally sold out, and that they HAD to revive that old sound. It’s pop-punk at it’s worst; taken way too seriously, and unintentionally way too hilarious.

Crank up what annoys 90% of people about punk music these days, and that’s what Homesick is. They are built to be loved by a fairly small demographic of kids, and hated by pretty much everyone else. In addition to the other undocumented atrocities I haven’t pointed out, they somehow managed to have a guest spot from (fairly incredible) VersaEmerge Sierra Kusterbeck on “If It Means a Lot To You” and ruin the song by making it typical Journey-derivative acoustic power schlock. It’s not so much that this album inspires hate, it just inspires such a high level of laughability that I seriously cannot recommend this in good conscience as an album for anyone to listen to seriously. Spin it if you are looking for some kicks or music you can play for you scene buddies in the car, but otherwise stay far, far away.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor
3.2
good

February 4th 2009

i prefer the other review

February 4th 2009

i bet you didnt even read it

February 4th 2009

you'd be a rich man to bet on those odds

February 4th 2009

if im betting with our love then yes

iam

Willie
February 4th 2009

This album is bad and definitely needed this review since the other one was a 5. I think the Staff Pick thing is my fault, but I can't get it to go away.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

February 4th 2009

i didn't know people still did those

Willie
February 4th 2009

It was an accident. I wrote a sound-off about how bad this album was and accidentally clicked "Make a Staff Pick" instead of "Home".

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

I think the Staff Pick thing is my fault, but I can't get it to go away.

This is a Sputnik travesty.

VicariousIntent
February 4th 2009

I was wondering why this was a staff pick. I feel a little guilty for not hating this now.

dave please post more

February 4th 2009

"I fear this review may alienate genre enthusiasts."

are you going to change my summary to that as well

February 4th 2009

it'd be better than the one you have now

February 4th 2009

the one i have now is pretty heavy

heavily gay

heavily awesome

Jom
February 4th 2009

Hmm, a 1.5 John Hanson vs. a 5 encmetalhead... whose opinion to take seriously... whose opinion to take seriously...

DWittisarockstar
February 5th 2009

This album makes me a sad panda. I love the previous release, but this is even more derivative and generic than the past generic-as-hell release.

Hey Jom can it

beans
February 5th 2009

shitty, this album isnt nearly as bad as john says it is, and not even close to as good as mr. williford says it is. its somewhere in the middle for me.

very well written review though.

willfellmarsy
February 5th 2009

review made me really want to listen to the album...