Protest The Hero
Fortress

1.5
very poor

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
January 31st, 2009 | 450 replies | 24,990 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: the fortress has been breached

Beginning with ‘Bloodmeat’, Protest the Hero’s Fortress shows incredible promise. Asides from Rody’s terrible vocal performance, which unfortunately persists until the very end of the record, ‘Bloodmeat’ is the amalgamation of all that makes Protest the Hero good, and bad. Particular licks in the song are undoubtedly catchy, and often contrast with my overall distaste for the band’s sound. Nevertheless, a small selection of catchy moments do not make up for what is an annoying, falsetto driven circle jerk of an album; Rody’s vocals are the ‘icing’ on said circle jerk’s cake, and while he does show promise as a singer who could perhaps do poor imitations of Blind Guardian or Lost Horizon, his attempts at harsh vocals are laughable and destroy any musical appeal the album might have been scrambling for.

As already mentioned, any moments of engagement that the album has are quickly destroyed by the band’s utter miss at writing a coherent song; ‘Bloodmeat’ does well at the beginning, but its rapid changes in tempo, going from riff to riff, connected by inane and ultimately meaningless shred, leaves one scratching his head in wonder as to why or how that was included. This exact same formula is repeated in almost every song; under the guise of ‘progression’, disjointed and illogical musical ideas are linked together with absurd technical wankery that most probably makes your average fifteen year old explode in his jeans, but leaves vast quantities to be desired on a compositional level.

From the embarrassing, rapidly delivered dat dat dat datdatadat in ‘Bloodmeat’, to the ridiculously lame introduction to ‘Spoils’ and its completely out of place and twenty-years-too-late melody, to the rambling shred that leaves the entire album lacking any continuity whatsoever, the only possible commendation that can be given to Protest the Hero is that they can play their instruments well; to say that they can use their talents in writing a somewhat articulate piece of music however, is a completely different commendation, one which Protest the Hero all together does not deserve. Distinguishing between the songs is nigh impossible; I’m sure the aforementioned fifteen year olds who have listened to the album more times than there are school days in the year would be able to pinpoint every single note, cat noises withstanding, but on a purely objective basis it’s hard to find marked distinctions in any of the songs. This is a result of the band’s complete rejection of memorable song-writing, rather than any supposed ‘diversity’; it’s difficult to find footholds in such confusion.

The album’s misplaced technicality aside, Fortress would be almost tolerable had it not been for Rody Walker’s unfortunate placement behind the microphone. From his unbearable falsetto to his sub-par screams and growls, he makes the album so much worse than it could have been; it’s obvious his growls, which on the odd occasion sound pretty impressive, are forcefully manufactured, and his throat wrenching screams not only sound abysmal but do the album absolutely zero favours. Along with his forgettable vocal performance, the album’s concept plays its part. I’m sure many an opinion has been given regarding Fortress’s concept, and there’s no real point in elaborating on it further other than saying that it results in the album’s lyrical substance being relatively low quality. Hearing Rody scream and then reiterate in his falsetto somebody’s little girl dreams of the things she’s read is but one example of atrociously written lyrics to go with atrociously written music.

I often wonder if my sentiments regarding this album are misplaced; there is some enjoyment to be had, if only on the rare occasion. Nevertheless, repeated listens in order to give it a fair review has proven yet again that my initial thoughts of Fortress’s confused and uninviting mish-mash of technicality and unmemorable vocals were spot on; the revulsion that comes with the album is almost immediate, and there is no mistaking its complete lack of fluidity and compositional failure.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

January 31st 2009

Seeing as I know how almost everybody on this site seems to think their shitty opinion equates to anything disagreeing with it as 'bad', I'm not going to even attempt to defend myself from your feeble attacks at my tastes, my review, or anything like that. This review was written completely seriously, and I’m not going to bother with the stupidity that comes with disagreeing with your half-arsed comments.

masterofcum

you write a lot like that devsol guy

o wait lolololololololololol

Captain North
January 31st 2009

Actually it was a decent review, although the double mention of a circle-jerk in the opening paragraph was unneccessary. I really dislike this album, but everything you mention as bad here actually works on Kezia. So I'm not sure if I can say I agree or not.

you write a lot like that devsol guy

o wait lolololololololololol

surprise surprise!

January 31st 2009

you wont even bother with the stupidity of my half-assed comment

SpinLightTwo
January 31st 2009

It's over-the-top, but I enjoy it.
This Message Edited On 01.31.09

JizzInMyPants
January 31st 2009

its funny how u dont like this yet u love circle tkes the square lol

considering circle takes the square dont no shit bout songwritingThis Message Edited On 01.31.09

love you josh bb

Essence

rasp you are my hero

fireaboveicebelow
January 31st 2009

ok album, but still a solid review oddly enough

Bitstream
January 31st 2009

Fortress was actually well put together for technicality. It's not just mindless shred. And it is unfortunately true, Arif's lyrics went down considerably since Kezia. I liked how it used to sound like actual poetry.

ily2 but that is 1 long sentence nicca

January 31st 2009

I personally don't like Kezia much either, but I liked it substantially more than this.

I love my long sentences josh bb, remember the krallice introduction.This Message Edited On 01.31.09

Inertiatic_Esp
January 31st 2009

idk bout the neg, this is an awesome review.

January 31st 2009

i didnt kno dat krallice review was urs when i first read it so i couldnt call u out on it so dats like cheating

Lunarfall
January 31st 2009

I'm glad someone on this site still knows how to write negative reviews.

Inertiatic_Esp

im down with hey143

January 31st 2009

I'm glad someone on this site still knows how to write negative reviews.

Pretty sure you weren't saying that about devsol!