Between the Buried and Me
Colors

by McDiggitz USER (10 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2009 | 61 replies | 4,325 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A journey into the depths of music.

Lets start at the beginning. Piano intro into a swelling crescendo blending metal and something reminiscent of Pink Floyd (and I know the Floydians will hate me for saying that) with a little more edge and synth. Ok, a LOT more edge. But that only lasts less than a minute as you are thrown into thrash-riffs and the more typical between the buried and me style. But I will say, a lot of the metal riffs adhere to a more standard sound than their usual chaos (via Alaska and the Silent Circus). Though the chaos still resides, it seems very calculated and frankly, I can bob my head to this album as a whole eons more than past efforts.

Now Matt Ellerd (Producer/Mixing Engineer off the Silent Circus and Alaska) is my teacher and even HE was blown away with this album. And you may not know Ellerd, but this dude is quite British. Never impressed with anything. He said working with Metallica was terrible because Lars Ulrich can't play drums to save his life... So anyway, back to the real review.

The cross-genre play that BTBAM has in this album is nothing short of mesmorizing. The fast transitions between Metal, Country, Cabana, Arena Rock, Tribal/Middle Eastern infusion (Whatever the *** you wish to call the beginning of Informal Gluttony), Jazz, and progressive rock is just unmatched by any band. And the biggest thing, by FAR, was the fact that NONE of the transitions sound forced or overly abrupt. These 5 Berklee grads know their music and truly bring you an album that will spin in your player for days on end. If you have any appreciation for music and the difficulty of taking on a task this epic, buy this album. Don't download it. The integrity of the 44.1 sample rate can't be sacrificed for even the "best" 320 kbps MP3. And I use best as loosely as possible.

Take this album, nay this journey, with an open mind and you will not be disappointed.

August Burns Red ConstellationsNorma Jean Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child

shzaam

its called a soundoff

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

You can't listen to albums with the sound turned off.

January 23rd 2009

A+ comment would read again

AvictimOfSociety
January 23rd 2009

Some of the sentences are awkward.

(and I know the Floydians will hate me for saying that)

You don't need to put that in there. Who cares if they don't like what you have to say, because you are the "expert".

Get rid of the But I will say.

Get rid of the I can bob my head... You could try stating that this record has a better grove than past records or something to that effect. I think this can be a good review, but you need to reread and reword some of this.

Drsmith4
January 23rd 2009

Honestly, I don't like this album at all.

rasputin

between the Kat and Tun

rasputin

badtaste
January 24th 2009

To reviewer, please don't hog up the front page.

Wizard

19308 Comments

A journey into the depths of music.

Save that for the Opeth.

Between the Rasputin and Me

Phsssss, more like Between the_wizard and Me because I have a 'the' in front of my user name :p.

As for the review, well, I will give you a bit of advice. You need to seriously sit down and think for a moment, "Does this review convey across to the reader why the album worthy of a 5?". Firstly, the review is a scatterbrain mess and has no flow of logical sense at all. Secondly, you have way too many grammatical errors, telling me that you did not proofread. Thirdly, please try and stick to the music and not ramble off into a topic that has little value towards contributing to the point of the review. A metaphor is nice once in a while when it's tied into the subject, but not going off topic with proof that Lars Ulrich is a bad drummer. We already knew that hahaha. Anyways, this was meant as constructive criticism.This Message Edited On 01.23.09

Digging: Downer - Downer

Essence
January 24th 2009

[quote='review']This is probably one of the most well crafted albums in the history of music. But that's just for me. I am a huge metal-head with a large appreciation for other genres, and my GOD, does this deliver the Goods.[/quote]
luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul

Wizard

19308 Comments

Please try and be constructive Mr. Jack. Kid might be 14 or something.

Pebster49
January 24th 2009

whats with this lul non-sense, its like the more annoying cousin of LOLThis Message Edited On 01.24.09

Zippermouth
January 24th 2009

Silverfang, we all hated your first review for this album, did you really think that making a new account would change anything?

hahaha

January 24th 2009

zippermouth you are accepted at the sputnik school of win

Zippermouth
January 24th 2009

I'm so used to being bashed on this site I can't even tell if that's sarcasm or not. I'm going to assume that nothings changed and I'm still the obnoxious punk who's only one step above the pitiful reviewers and trolls. In which case, that last comment was sarcasm.