Copeland
In Motion

good

by Waior USER (114 Reviews)
January 15th, 2009 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's definitely a Copeland album.

What is it about Aaron Marsh's Copeland that is so beautiful and engaging? Sure, the band can play their instruments, but it's not superb musicianship or complex arrangements that continually attract listeners. Perhaps it's Aaron Marsh's melodically spiraling vocal lines, or the band's inoffensive composition and themes. Whatever it is, Copeland's sophomore album, In Motion is a canvas for soaring pop rock songs as enchanting as they are simplistic.

Drummer Jonathan Bucklew counts in the captivating and almost-agressive opener No One Really Wins, which sprawls into staggering full-blown verses and an implausibly catchy chorus. Marsh's previously exceptional vocals are taken to new heights, as he slides effortlessly between his mesmerizing falsetto and his almost Cove Reber-like tones. Classic guitar riffs provided by guitarist Bryan Laurenson in songs such as the foot-tapping lead single Pin Your Wings provide an appropriate backdrop (key word: backdrop) to Marsh's alluring harmonies and Bucklew's unintimidating beats.

Along with the before-mentioned No One Really Wins, the relaxed and memorable You Have My Attention fights for the title of In Motion's strongest track, while weaker tracks with dry and poorly executed lyrical concepts such as Sleep and You Love To Sing break up the record's consistency. Lyrically, Marsh is caught between brilliance, and well, inadequacy. However, to provide an example of the former, I provide an example from the piano-ballad lullaby Kite:

"Floating and fighting, like a kite on a string
Till you cut through my tether and changed everything
And when they say that I'm just a terrible kite
You'll tell them you're proud of my marvelous flight"

Love Is a Fast Song is undeniably the most aggressive song the album, and the most lyrically ambitious ("You should not be angry if all she wants is your money/You should not be angry 'cause all you want is her body/What has love become?") with it's soaring chorus and distorted riffs. Other tracks of importance, such as the beautifully brief Hold Nothing Back are simply crafted and well-presented, all while giving little more then an acoustic guitar and Marsh's heavenly (yes, heavenly) harmonies.

Conclusively, In Motion is amiable, accessible and simple. It is perfect place to start for a new Copeland fan (just like all their other albums), and is indisputably Copeland's quintessential record (just like all their other albums). As long as you don't expect a genre-redefining record (or even a Copeland redefining record), you're undoubtedly going to enjoy In Motion.

Thrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be NowhereNoah Gundersen Carry the Ghost
Hey Rosetta! Second SightThe Decemberists What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
Dan Mangan Club MedsAnberlin Lowborn

January 15th 2009

My apologies for this review's... short qualities. There's just not a whole lot to elaborate on.

pretty gassy review tbqh

January 15th 2009

'Gassy' is a ambiguous adjective. Any suggestions on how to make it less 'gassy?' Or if by the unlikely occurrence that gassy is a compliment, how can I be more gassy?

hold your poop in

My first neg! Thank you.

January 15th 2009

i believe i explained myself in a satisfactory manner.

January 15th 2009

Really terrible sentence for a myriad of reasons, aside from that, review's okay.

Solid album, You Are My Sunshine owns this and every other Copeland record.

January 15th 2009

he's trying to be all cool and unique, but he just sounds like a bloated gasbag.

January 15th 2009

Why haven't you been banned yet?

January 15th 2009

no moderators are online.

January 15th 2009

Roofi, unfortunately, I haven't listened to You Are My Sunshine, but I have every intention, when I have the money (i.e. summer job).

My terrible sentence was an attempt in communicating that I don't think Copeland is very diverse. I'll swap it for something else. This Message Edited On 01.15.09

January 15th 2009

It's just a weird thing to say in a semi-positive review; like, you're suggesting that there's no

reason to listen to the band but then you end up giving it a good rating?

That and their last two albums are pretty drastically different from this and Beneath

Medicine Tree.This Message Edited On 01.15.09

Iamthe Nightstars
April 19th 2009

Hold Nothing Back is going to be used for my wedding song

xNintendoCorex
May 25th 2009

am i the only one that thinks 'choose the one who love you more' feels like a much better smashing pumpkins song...

album rules