Blindside
The Black Rose

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
January 8th, 2009 | 10 replies | 7,705 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Whilst containing some of Blindside's strangest and most brilliant creations, the dodgy live recordings and sub-par songs bring Blindside's independent EP down.

In my magical musical library, I have three types of rock bands. Normal bands, weird bands and normal bands that innovate in small doses. Swedish band Blindside, along with bands like Thrice and The Classic Crime, falls into that category. In the past, Blindside has done everything: all out hardcore bash, incomprehensible timings and unpredictable song structure, all while staying relatively radio-friendly. All this while I've been hoping that Blindside would stray into the 'weird side' and impress me.

Well, the Black Rose EP is weird, alright.

The album starts deceivingly, with a tapping closed hi-hat that keeps you waiting just long enough before 'The Way You Dance' explodes into a frantic, seasick and eery trip through the mind of vocalist Christian Lindskog. With soaring vocals, the song sounds somewhat discordant and, for the lack of a better word, gypsy-esque with drummer Marcus Dahlström churning out alternating snare beats and guitarist Simon Grenehed molding mountainous soundscapes that engulf the listener into it's addictive wall of sound.

The Black Rose EP has Blindside branching out into unexplored areas for the band too. 'The Color of my Eyes' combines classic Blindside elements such as the soaring chorus with a grinding, melancholic and wholeheartedly beautiful verse that sings 'And I will wait by the telephone while the silence pressures my eardrum/I found a black and white with a person smiling sad at me.' In a similar fashion 'Slow Motion' is surprisingly witty with it's pulsing beat and brilliant lyrics, telling the tale of a life going by disdainfully. Lindskog borrows some antics from Family Force 5 in his almost rap-like lines such as 'Hey operator, could you connect me with a respirator?' that really put a new dose of experimentalism in the Blindside mix.

Unfortunately, the rest of the album doesn't succeed. The other two recordings, 'Pretty Nights' and the title track 'Black Rose,' are more of the same, with less emotion. The last three tracks on the album are live recordings of songs from their previous album, The Great Depression. With the exception of 'My Alibi (Live)' which translates on the stage more emotively and powerfully then it did on it's album, the live songs are not worth your time.

Blindside really served up a mixed bag this time, but at least the bag had some surprises. I'm really enjoying the direction the band is taking, but with all new directions, they need to take some time to hone it. Do yourself a favor and listen to 'The Color of My Eyes' and 'The Way You Dance.' It may change the way you think about Blindside... and might make you look forward to a more developed LP in 2009.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences
3.2
good

YouAreMySilence
January 8th 2009

I for the most part disagree. When I Remember is amazing live.

January 8th 2009

An accompanying video (original, I know) would probably make the live experience better... seeing Lindskog flail around on the stage makes his sup-par live voice a bit more understandable.

DaveyBoy
January 12th 2009

20857 Comments

I am confused Caleb... You have the review at a 2.5, but your personal rating at 4!?!?!?
Decent review otherwise.

January 12th 2009

Yes, the album rating of '4' was my initial response to the album before I let it settled into my brain.

I should go about changing that... is it possible?

Nevermind that... success has been achieved! This Message Edited On 01.12.09

MentalityOfA
January 22nd 2009

The Way You Dance is an incredible song.

January 29th 2009

Absolutely. It is songs like that really give me hope for Blindside's bleak Swedish future.

Donul
February 11th 2009

I really like The Classic Crime, but their not even half as innovative as Blindside^^

jrowa001
February 11th 2009

i like this EP. im hoping their next LP will be even better, but most likely wont match the awesomeness of Silence and About A Burning Fire

February 16th 2009

Donul: Well, yeah, but my point that neither band is innovative, they just have little outbursts of interestingness -- until this EP, where Blindside finally doesn't something weird.

Jrowa001: Those were good records. I just want them to go all out.

RonnyJ
March 31st 2010

'The way you dance' sees Christian Lindskog display the vocal range that sets him apart as a screamo-melodic vocalist, his lyrics move me, as always and Simon Grenehed's singular guitar based riffs, although relatively simplistic, never lose there drive. I cant help moving my head to it.