Jonezetta
Popularity

good

by Waior USER (114 Reviews)
January 8th, 2009 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you're looking for a good time, look no further.

When I first encountered Jonezetta, they played with Anberlin to one of the most unenthusiastic and sparsely populated audiences I've even seen attend a show. The crowd was seemingly one big personal bubble, in which any sudden movement by anyone could supposedly result in instant termination by security. We were frozen. Lead singer Robert Chilsom said forlornly to the attendees at the end of the gig, "Wow, honestly, that was like playing a junior high prom."

The irony in that statement lies in the still, simple truth that Jonezetta is the most energetic dance rock acts I've listened to in a long time. Jonezetta's debut, "Popularity" is a strikingly convincing remedy for a good time. Musically, Popularity is a mind meld between Franz Ferdinand and the Killers, with a similar lack of lyrical substance. Amidst more-than-noticeable open/close hi-hatting, and surprisingly prominent bass grooves is Robert Chilsom's powerful and distinct vocals. Unfortunately for him, variety is not a toy he plays with, resulting in his constant wailing over the entire album. Luckily, it's an incredibly infectious wail, and gives a lot of power and energy to each and every song.

In fact, infectious is the perfect word to describe this piece. From the soaring falsettos and subtle synths of the opener 'Welcome Home,' to the repetitive and irresistible 'Get Ready (Hot Machete),' the band produces a tight and solid sound through the entire LP. The real highlight of the album is 'The Love That Carries Me' which sticks to the band's by-then familiar formula whilst adding different influences and a more diverse style to the mix. Songs like 'Popularity' and 'Man In a 3K Suit' are as predictable as they are enjoyable, which ends up to be the band's only downfall.

Chilsom's beautifully arrogant voice helps add spice to the vague and unintriguing lyrics, but it still can't save the fact that lines like 'Hey, mister big shot/You wanna take it to the parking lot?' have been done before, and they've been done a lot better. However, in the bigger dance tunes on the album, the repetitious lyrics serve good hooks and memorability (Get ready for your hot machete/Get ready, get'), even if they seem a bit contrived.

Conclusively, Jonezetta's debut "Popularity" is a plain ol' good time. If you're looking for something new in your library, take a peek, but if you're just looking for a good time: look no further.

Recommended tracks
Welcome Home
Get Ready (Hot Machete)
The Love That Carries Me
Popularity

Thrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be NowhereNoah Gundersen Carry the Ghost
Hey Rosetta! Second SightThe Decemberists What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
Dan Mangan Club MedsAnberlin Lowborn
3.2
good

I try.

IAmInsect
January 8th 2009

nice review man. this album's okay.

handoman
January 8th 2009

my brother likes this, i havent heard it yet, tho...

January 8th 2009

I'd definitely it's worth a shot... just don't expect anything substantial.

DaveyBoy
January 12th 2009

Hmmm, I've never heard of these guys & they at least sound interesting. Pretty good, if short, review Caleb.

Masochist
January 12th 2009

I really enjoy Jonezetta, even though I've only heard 5 songs from this album. I'm glad someone finally reviewed it.

January 12th 2009

Thanks! I normally prefer shorter reviews, but if other people prefer them longer then I'll adapt. I'm still trying to get the feel for writing reviews.

Benjeh
November 4th 2009

a catchy fun album.

Bringin' It Back Tonight and A Man In a 3K suit are my faves.