Taylor Swift
Fearless

by Rudy K. STAFF
January 7th, 2009 | 399 replies | 28,739 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Country-pop teen sensation proves that teenage romance still has a place at the top of the charts.

Good, honest pop is the kind of thing that only comes out once in a while, the kind of pop that isn’t mass-produced by some anonymous Oz-like Swedish svengali or popped out by some sort of marketing beast. I was hesitant to declare Taylor Swift anything but just another commercialized teen trying to make a novelty buck when her country-ish debut came out in 2006 and songs like the get-back-at-your-ex anthem “Picture To Burn” and the sappy “Teardrops On My Guitar” became ubiquitous. Fearless, however, is just the kind of pop record that is about as real as pop can get: earnest, memorable, deliberate, and just as catchy as anything else you’re likely to hear nowadays.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the record is Swift herself; unlike many pop idols her age, she is not some big-hearted daddy’s girl or a rebellious wannabe sex symbol; she’s just your normal teenager with some serious boy problems and a penchant for writing unnaturally talented songs. Lyrics like “in your life you’ll do things / greater than dating the boy on the football team / but I didn’t know it at fifteen” from “Fifteen” and “but she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts / she’s cheer captain and I’m on the bleachers” from “You Belong To Me” are not only fantastic in the context of the song but also show Swift’s unerring ability to describe the teenage experience (her experience, in other words), without sounding contrived and fake. And even on some of the clunkers, like the awfully sappy “Forever and Always,” Swift’s vocal skills and obvious charisma hide some of her shallower sentiments.

For what Nashville no doubt considers their newest and brightest star, there’s a hell of a lot more pop than country here, and although some fans might miss the twangier side of Swift, she without doubt belongs in a more mainstream arena. There’s the occasional backwoods violin and pedal-steel guitar, and Swift can mimic the best of Nashville, but for the most part the music is perfectly suited to Swift’s subtle, careful pop style. The instrumentation is sharp and accompanies Swift well without overwhelming her, and the hooks are what you would expect from a person who’s already sold over three million.

Then again, don’t come to Fearless looking for anything musically mind-blowing, as the slick radio production is engineered to produce hits and is about as deep as a puddle. The spotlight here is squarely on Swift, and so on the few parts where Fearless falters, such as the pedestrian duet with Colbie Caillat and the too-cheesy-for-its-own-good closer “Change,” it’s usually because Swift isn’t focusing on her strengths: namely, boys, breakups, betrayals, or all three.

That’s not to say Swift is a one-trick pony; what Fearless has definitely proved, if nothing else, is that she’s the real deal when it comes to solid songwriting and an assured knowledge of her target audience. And with songs like the charming first single “Love Story,” one can assume that Swift will no doubt keep on selling enough records to continue getting all those guy problems out of her system.

Eels The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver EverettTokyo Police Club Forcefield
The War on Drugs Lost in the DreamBeck Morning Phase
Hospitality TroubleDum Dum Girls Too True
3.3

January 7th 2009

my f**king god this is good

*dies of embarrassment*

Love Story is AWESOME.

January 7th 2009

also can i be the first person to say that i would
thanks

January 7th 2009

i downloaded this awhile ago, listened to the first half, which was good, but had to leave. i've yet to listen to the second half but i guess i will now.

CokeZero
January 7th 2009

Glad she writes or co writes a lot of her songs. Consistent album.

jrowa001
January 7th 2009

she has a good voice but im just not a fan of this type of music. more of an alt. country person (Lucinda Williams). my girlfriend however loves Swift and Underwood

Athom
January 7th 2009

guilty pleasure. Is she 18 yet?

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

Curse.

I believe so. Stalk away

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

January 7th 2009

I really don't find this broad attractive at all. Maybe because I hate blondes and white people but her look doesn't do it for me. Fortunately, she ahs a ncie voice. Love Story is catchy, undeniably, so I might look into this.

ROMEO SAVE ME THEY'RE TRYING TO TELL ME HOW TO FEEL

JizzInMyPants
January 7th 2009

ya she is not really all that good looking, but that love story single is pretty good

irishmanshibby
January 7th 2009

THIS LOVE IS DIFFICULT BUT ITS REAL!!

timbo8
January 9th 2009

mm maybe i'll get this. She's on the radio all the time anyway. She's unstoppable

Willie
January 9th 2009

Look at all of you pretending you wouldn't pee in her butt the first chance you got. This Message Edited On 01.09.09

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

Pastor of Muppets

I'd hit it

with a brick.

AtavanHalen
January 16th 2009

I would have no qualms with destroying this woman.

JizzInMyPants
January 16th 2009

ya she looks to barbie-ish (aka fake) for me to take seriously

January 16th 2009

yeah she's kind of funny looking and certainly has the most ridiculous album cover pictures ever but i'd still hit it

and i really like her music idk

PunkItUp
January 20th 2009

^
/agrees 1000%

edit: not about the album but the "bunch of girls" part :pThis Message Edited On 01.20.09

AggravatedYeti
January 21st 2009

this review makes me want to give this a spin...or at least a last.fm search.

xmOBSCENEx
January 23rd 2009

album is great
forever&&always is the best
and it was wrote about joe jonas makes it pretty funny