Born of Osiris
The New Reign

2.0
poor

by Kit Brown USER (73 Reviews)
December 14th, 2008 | 74 replies | 12,573 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Born of Osiris’ debut will surely attract fans of the already huge deathcore scene but ultimately fail to create anything truly memorable.

I was introduced to this band through a deathcore fan at my old high school. I had gotten him into The Faceless a few months back, so he deemed it necessary to return the favor. I’ll admit, I was pretty excited at first. The opening riff to “Open Arms to Damnation” had a good groove to it and definitely made me want to delve a bit further into this band. Finally, I decided to get their entire album. Mistake. The New Reign is quite enjoyable for a few minutes but it doesn’t take long to realize that the band doesn’t have much to offer the listener besides a few melodic riffs and more start-stop breakdowns than the world ever needs.

While I wasn’t exactly thrilled with my friend’s recommendation, I could easily see why he would think a fan of The Faceless could get into this. That’s probably because these guys seem to rip off The Faceless’ Akeldama constantly on this album. The most obvious comparison is the addition of goofy little keyboard lines into their otherwise down-tuned, brutal sound. “Abstract Art” is the perfect example here, as the keyboard work runs rampant on top of the band’s chug-a-lug breakdowns. While it’s a bit more interesting, the tone and melodies are just too goofy and stupid to take seriously. I might have given them props for experimentation if it hadn’t been done already. Add on top of that a really monotonous vocal performance throughout and bash yourself on top of the head with that for 21 minutes.

Boy, do the breakdowns come by the truckload, and while I’ve listened to this album several times, I can’t say that I really remember any of them. That’s not because they’re overly technical, it’s that just that none of them really stick out. Every single one is incredibly mechanical and obviously crafted for floor punchers all across the globe. “Bow Down” showcases this perfectly, as the “song” is essentially a two minute bro-down. While I’m sure it makes the scene kids foam at the mouth, it sure as hell isn’t fooling me. “Bow Down” is by far the laziest and worst song on the album and should probably be avoided at all costs.

The New Reign’s faults are sadly much easier to focus on than the several redeemable qualities it possesses. For one, the production is pretty stellar. While it might be a bit too mechanical for some (but that comes with the group’s sound and the fact that they’re on Sumerian Records), every instrument is crystal clear. Born of Osiris definitely know their way around their instruments, which one can focus on as well. One can also see they have a knack for catchy melodies, especially in “Open Arms to Damnation” which is the only consistently solid song in the entire album. In fact, “Open Arms to Damnation” should be the only song that anyone should really check out and enjoy from The New Reign. The fact that this album is 21 minutes is also a plus, because this overall sound really loses its steam by about the third track.

I don’t think I’ll give up on Born of Osiris just yet, but it’s easy to have doubts. My diagnosis for this group is a severe case of Veil-of-Maya syndrome: occasional greatness and clear musical skill overshadowed by stale breakdowns simply played to get the kiddies moving on the dance floor. It’s a tragic problem that we’re seeing in too many bands these days. Hopefully once deathcore finally dies down after a few years these guys will stick around and create some quality technical metal that I know they’re capable of. Better luck next time.

Periphery PeripheryThe Red Chord Fed Through the Teeth Machine
Iwrestledabearonce It's All HappeningConverge Caring and Killing
The Faceless Planetary DualityBetween the Buried and Me Colors_Live
HoudiniLogic (3)
With all the imitation bands in the metal scene, its nice to see a band that tries something a bit d...

December 14th 2008

Got bored waiting for some NFL games to start and felt compelled to say something about this album/band. Let me know what you guys think; it's been a while since I've reviewed anything and I feel a bit rusty.

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

Good review. Definitely not checking this out.

Zippermouth
December 14th 2008

The last sentence is pointless, remove it.

Lol, very nice.
You don't seem rusty at all, very solid review.

Spamue1G
December 14th 2008

Great review, album sounds boring. Is there any deathcore at all that is actually any different, or at least good?

Willie
December 14th 2008

Yeah, good review... but another band that sounds pretty boring.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

December 14th 2008

The Price of Existence if you haven't heard it already.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

the price of existence isn't that good

December 14th 2008

As I said on another review of this, I'm pretty sure that the drums are programmed.
Also, I think they sound like a cross between Necrophagist and The Faceless whilst being nowhere near as good as either.This Message Edited On 12.14.08

December 14th 2008

Don't really see where you get the Necrophagist comparison. I'd say they sound like a Faceless/Veil of Maya hybrid.

December 14th 2008

The Necrophagist is only slight and was a bad suggestion. Definitely more like The Faceless and Veil Of Maya. Either way, they're boring.

Bow Down is quite fun the first few times. That and Open Arms To Damnation are the only tracks I still listen to from this.This Message Edited On 12.14.08

KTV

ATL 10 TB 7

TB better fucking win.

Nice review, btw.

Shadowskos
December 14th 2008

Pos'd. Another superb review.

OllieS

2029 Comments

Great review. I just can't help but imagine how awkward it would be if your friend found this...

P13
December 14th 2008

If the breakdowns were almost completely omitted from this bands music they could be really great. But oh well...

December 14th 2008

Yeah then their songs would be like 45 seconds long.

Very true.

noworldforeric

Bow Down is great.

But yeah, they're boring as fuck. Listen to Veil of Maya and The Faceless for deathmetal/core

TheImpervious
December 14th 2008

I the nominate awkward keyboard riff over breakdown at 1:48 in "Abstract Art" for one of the most shameful moments in the short history of deathcore. Which is saying alot considering consensus opinion of deathcore

asdemonsburn
December 14th 2008

Apparently their new stuff is more prog, and less -core.
I've heard two instrumental demos, and they were pretty good.

Let's hope so.

I'm hoping bands like these guys, Winds of Plague and Veil of Maya continue making music once the whole fad dies. They know how to write good melodic metal when they're not too busy making shitty brodowns