I Am Abomination
Jaw Dropper

by honkyXkong USER (2 Reviews)
December 6th, 2008 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With strong instrumentation and razor sharp hooks, I Am Abomination's "Jaw Dropper" is not something to pass up.

After seeing I Am Abomination live, I was interested enough to take a listen to their EP, Jaw Dropper. The album begins with a prelude that sounds like an expert pianist recorded it. However, this prelude is all computerized. This fact does not take away from the overall effect of the song, which is to set up an aura of excitement around the rest of the EP.

The Prelude transitions nicely into the next song "Heir to the Throne". This song starts with a fast paced guitar line that continues the excitement created in the Prelude. This first song is really where I Am Abomination digs their heels into the ground and makes you want to keep listening. The singer creates razor sharp hooks in his lyrics and vocal patterns that are constantly enforced by the strong guitar playing in the background. As far as drums and bass are concerned however, they are simply average, not bad, but nothing to write home about.

"Ornaments Are for Hanging", the next track on the album, shows much more of what is to be expected throughout the EP. This song contains more of an emphasis on computerization, both in synthesized orchestras and in computerized drum beats. The guitar parts are simpler but create and atmosphere that just works with the singer's vocal melodies. The drums are much more complex in this song, however are still short of anything amazing. The bass tracks in this song, much like the rest of the album, are lost in the mix of guitars, drums, and synthesizers.

"The Next Great American Tragedy" takes a different approach in its instrumentation. This song starts with a semi-generic breakdown that really gets the listener ready for what is to come. Instead of starting out with a bang, the real power comes from the middle of the song. This song, in all honesty, is not the greatest on the album and really gets lost between "Ornaments Are for Hanging" and the fifth track, "Ex-Tinction"

"Ex-Tinction" is by far the best song on the album and a perfect climax for it as well. With a hypnotic riff to start the song off, and an overlapping guitar part that fits in perfectly, the song starts off in a way that captures a listener's attention. The singer continues this trend with his outstanding vocal track in this song, with some of the best hooks I've heard in an album in a long time. The chorus of this song combines the guitarist's ability to create interesting lines and the vocalist's ability to create hooks to I Am Abomination's full advantage. And if the strong chorus isn't enough to satisfy you, even the verses are creative and powerful enough to make you want to listen to the song over and over again.

"Music Gone Wild!" is a song that is just that, music gone wild. At times this can be good, with odd yet catchy guitar riffs and solid vocal melodies, along with steady drumming. My only gripe with this song is it's inability to keep a consistent rhythm that I could really get in to. If you do make it in to the song however you will see that it is a solid song with some good ideas, I just believe that it could have used a little more work.

Finally, "Roll The Credits", the final song on the EP is somewhat of a misfit in the EP. Although a rock solid song, it just does not share the intensity of the rest of the EP. It is however a good song to end the band's first EP and will hopefully leave a good impression on you as a listener. There's really not much to say about the song that hasn't already been said, strong instrumentation with razor sharp vocal hooks keeps this band's songs fresh every time you listen to them.

I am a huge fan of I Am Abomination after listening to their debut EP and can't wait for the full length. The only Cons with this album are the lead guitar tone and the vocalist. The guitar tone just doesn't always fit with the rhythm guitar, but this can be easily fixed with a little amp work, so it's not my major concern for the upcoming full length. The vocalist however can be a little grating on you if you are not a fan of his style of singing. I really hope he works on his range before the full length. By no means however am I saying that he has a bad voice, it is just a matter of opinion.

If you stumble upon a copy of "Jaw Dropper" I highly suggest that you give it a listen.

jesusjuice1179 (3.5)
Jaw Dropper may be a bit of an overstatment, but nonetheless the band crafts a unique, if uncontroll...

December 6th 2008

The vocals sound like they were recorded in some kid's bedroom

The instrumentation isn't too bad, though i would wait for another EP

Track-by-tracks are tedious try to stray away from them

December 6th 2008

Good first review. I'm listening to these guys now and they sound cool as hell. Vocals are cool at times but usually grating as hell.Good call on the shittily produced vocals, needs moar diversity. Ughh, that tone almost ruins the momentum for me.This Message Edited On 12.06.08

Digging: After Dinner - Paradise of Replica

December 6th 2008

From their MySpace songs, these guys are pretty neat. The instrumentation is great but I see what you mean about that lead tone being a bit off

December 6th 2008

Good first review. I just checked these guys out on myspace, they aint half bad.

jew dropper

singer is such a fag

December 7th 2008

Yeah, reminds me of protest the hero, which is not a good thing.
But I liked most other elements here, just seemed a little too...I don't know...peculiar for me as far as metal goes.

December 7th 2008

EP is ok, but the singer gets annoying. Musically this is very interesting and if the singer gets some versatility this could be a very good band in the future.

January 19th 2009

I eagerly anticipate a full length from these guys, but not because this ep is particularly good. As whole the EP is above average at best, but there are moments of greatness here. There are moments of interesting songwriting and amazing musicianship.

But it's coupled with bland post-hardcore bits and lame hooks (although I liked the vocalist) that really detract overall. There are a few tracks that are 90% forgettable, while a few others are good. There's greatness on this album, and I await for this band to mature as song writers enough to to make a great record rather than just great parts.

August 18th 2009

Love the instrumentation. I hope they work a bit more on the vocals on the next album. Someone in that band has to have some kind of scream. They should keep having a lot of clean vocals as long as they sound better on their next work. But having some screams would work better with the music IMO.

November 13th 2009

I actually like the vocals for some odd reason, and the instrumentation is pretty tight as well.

November 13th 2009

yeah you would

November 27th 2009

This sounds pretty dang good, I'll check out their full length when they release something.

I also get what you guys are saying about the vocals. He sounds a lot like many sub-par christian metalcore band vocals. If they get a new vocalist it may go up to a 4.5

November 29th 2009

Yeah, I would, and I do. And I'm damn proud of that.

December 21st 2009

good instrumentation

December 25th 2009

any one else get a protest the hero meets fall out boy vibe out of this?

December 25th 2009

this sucks

January 12th 2010

auto-tune needs to un-invent itself.

January 16th 2010

oh shit, they show off this is so sick!

January 16th 2010