Peter Gabriel
Passion

by Merkaba33 USER (14 Reviews)
December 1st, 2008 | 19 replies | 6,669 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While this is a superb album, it’s still only a soundtrack.

The year was 1989 and Peter Gabriel had just come off his most successful album So. One might figure with the way the album fared that he would just as easily return to the studio and break out another pop album, only to see it rise to the top of the charts. Well that is if you hadn’t heard any of his prior work. I’m sure it didn’t come as a surprise to those who were familiar with his music when he decided to make the soundtrack for Martin Scorcese’s controversial film The Last Temptation of Christ. While I have never seen the film, I am, like many others, very familiar with the tale of the Gospel. I’m also aware of the film’s twist (hint, it’s related to the title of the film). While it may seem that I should see a film before critiquing its soundtrack, I think it gave me an opportunity to solely focus on the music, while not getting caught up with all the film’s scenes.

Mostly all the music here takes on a middle-eastern style to fit the film. In fact Gabriel collaborated with many African and Arabic musicians through his organization WOMAD, to help give the album an accurate sound. It utilizes instruments such as the ney, qanun, and many hand drums. Gabriel’s biggest accomplishment here is that he is seamlessly combines these styles with more of his common sound. This style would help open doors to an expanded genre of “world” music. A great of example of this arises in the first track, “The Feeling Begins”. The subtle ney opens up the album, only to be trounced upon by Gabriel’s signature bombastic tom work. It works though and builds a groove that anybody can enjoy.

This album flows extremely well and is very relaxing. Gabriel conjures up many emotions throughout the album. On “Passion” you can just feel the pain coming from the wild middle-eastern singing. And on the sinister track “The Promise of Shadows”, a very uneasy gloom hovers over the music. In fact this track sounds eerily similar to the music in the Shadow Temple of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. I'm sure many of you know what I'm referring to.

While Gabriel’s voice work is limited to just a kind of back up ambience on a few tracks, he is heavily featured on the track “A Different Drum” He sings an absolutely beautiful chorus: “Open your eyes! Let in the Light!” It is because of his singing that I think this is the best track on the album. This is however the album’s biggest problem. Gabriel’s singing voice is just not used enough. I strongly believe that stamping the sound of the album with more of his voice would have given the album a more distinct and unique quality.

However that’s my only real complaint. And seeing as it is a soundtrack to a film, I’m sure using his voice in more tracks would have been a difficult and unwise thing to do. So I guess the real problem is that it’s a soundtrack. It couldn’t live up to its potential because it had to cater to the movie. Don’t expect this to be your typical Peter Gabriel album to sing along with. It’s a beautiful piece of work in its own right. Highly Recommended

Orbital In SidesAlice in Chains Sap
KMFDM AngstDavid Wise DK Jamz: Original Donkey Kong Country ST
Skinny Puppy The Greater Wrong of the RightSoundtrack Singles (Original Soundtrack)

So

Car

Melt

Security

Subject to change

Golgoroth
December 1st 2008

Good review but maybe reword "Yeah I can say that because I know pretty much everyone has played that game." It just doesn't flow.

fixedThis Message Edited On 12.01.08

Mendigo
December 2nd 2008

finally a review of this (and a pretty good one even). I wanted to write one for a long time, probably I still will.
you're right that you don't have to see the movie to write a review about that, also because this album isn't the OST, but a version altered by Peter Gabriel to make up an album. Nevertheless I really recommend the movie, it's probably the best movie about the whole Resurrection story ever made (and the reason it was critizised was that the conservative Christians were just unwilling to open their mind a bit, that's all) and Willem Dafoe rules the shit out of every other actor portraying Jesus - though the movie pales in comparison to many other Scorsese movies imo, it's still a great movie to watch.

It almost feels like much of the music could have been done by anybody today.

no, dude, Peter Gabriel worked with many musicians from Eastern Europe and Africa, and while I do not know much about all those instruments, it is enough to hear that at least some of them are stunning virtuosos. also using his voice more often would have taken away the magic that turns this into one of my all-time favorites.

December 2nd 2008

yeah that was the part i was thinking of changing. i knew he had taken inspiration from other talented musicians of the genre but i didn't know he actually used their recordings. knowing that, i think i'll change it.
...using his voice more often would have taken away the magic that turns this into one of my all-time favorites.

i disagree, i think his voice could have been used just a bit more. maybe just 1 or 2 other tracks with some actual singing would have helped. thats just me though.

suppersready
August 14th 2012

this is actually rly gd wo

this fucking rules

51 votez queef

hmm dont know both rock

October 1st 2012

whos cares she sucks redsky confirmed it

March 7th 2013

this is some intense shit

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Titan
March 7th 2013

never got into his solo material......

March 7th 2013

duuuuuuuude not even melt? the fuck thats almost selling england level

YankeeDudel

never heard this damn

Digging: DJ Spooky - Songs Of A Dead Dreamer

Titan

ill check it

March 7th 2013

really like the album cover too which is weird cos i usually hate artsy fartsy silentpotato shit

TrueBlood
August 2nd 2013

pre koo to see this rev'd

y3 du4d f4iath ritez g0d l1vez ha4d