Down I Go
Tyrant

by robin EMERITUS
November 1st, 2008 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You can now clap, sing and scream along to the sound of a man beheading six wives.

I’ll tell you what - some people are just mean. Tyrant proves that. Never before had I encountered Pol Pot or Idi Amin from a historical standpoint, and perhaps delving into Bush seems a dead trend by now, and yet after being introduced or re-introduced to the lot, I would have happily attacked them if they passed my way. Glory to Stalin The Great chants the group mockingly after five minutes of the album has gone – and it may just make you want to punch someone, anyone – regardless of their evil statistics. Even if you aren’t familiar with what exactly Stalin or any of the others were all about, the anger still swells within every ounce of Tyrant’s output.

Because Down I Go makes music simply so haphazardly, it’s easy to assume a pattern of trial-and-error. This seems almost dormant when the moments are pushed up against one another – “Tomas de Torquemada” makes a sudden dash of orchestration fit in to its diabolical means. Throughout all the screaming, the band hush themselves down for unexpected seriousness. The pseudo-jazz guitar outro of “Idi Admin” proves again that Down I Go want to try out everything; it soothes the hyperactive nature of the song without taking away from its craziness. Even when Let us build/Ice palace is bitterly recounted on Niyazov’s study, lead singer Pete sounds not far off of Richey James’s vocal efforts with Manic Street Preachers – not that you can hold this thought too long before the band are blisteringly upbeat again. Once you’ve got past the hubbub surrounding the album’s exaggerating variety, you can accept that Down I Go can take their post-hardcore influenced style and create an album that can ‘smash someone’s face in’ and hang their head in shame at the same time.

While the band constantly diversify their sound by putting their tempo down or changing their emotional tone, Tyrant actually suffers less droll moments because of it. Where “King Leopold II” becomes pretty saney considering its similar roaring sound to its previous friends (in track listing, not timeline), it prevents its uselessness by sounding even less hopeful; an almost poppy tune oddly backing Follow orders/Not your fault/Brutal torture/without thought. In every way, Tyrant should fall flat for being so bombastic, lyrically plain and full of itself, yet its impossible to look away from the little nifty packages - the marching trumpeting that is screamed over with pace, the piano ballads that pop into a song before it explodes, or perhaps just the togetherness of Down I Go’s vocalized chants. With all this eccentricity, the band manage to act out all of their least favourite politicians, mimicking any action they wish to frown down.

In such, Tyrant obviously tries to develop into a slice of progressive music, but ultimately all that is left of this is the little tinges. This actually is for the better - in the same way that As The Roots Undo lets its unravelling theme build around the punk within it, Down I Go sweep their dictators in and out of favour and ultimately teach us a whole lot while still maintaining the right to pounce about lividly. It is only fitting that the hardcore/whatever outlet pack up their latest lesson with “Ivan The Terrible” – a track difficultly diverting our attention from its own intensity to plummet into melody and beautiful violin composition. With all this weird delicacy brewing inside of the sub-conscious, the simple concept-album that is Tyrant technically has something for everyone – it just depends on how you like the blend.

Now really, is Hitler a b-side or something?

Sharon Van Etten Are We ThereHis Hero Is Gone Fifteen Counts of Arson
Superchunk I Hate MusicThe Weakerthans Reconstruction Site
The Waterboys This Is the SeaOwen At Home With Owen

badtaste
November 1st 2008

Very nice review. Would have been fun to play with this concept.

November 1st 2008

yeah. jrowra sparked my interest in this, so thanks to him.

Bleak123

1902 Comments

This sounds pretty good, I'll be sure to check this out.

November 1st 2008

not sure if this is the right art, seeing as i've seen quite a few different ones lying around. but whoever uploaded it obviously thinks so.

fireaboveicebelow
November 1st 2008

it's the same art I got, but I still don't know how I feel about the album

MrHell
November 1st 2008

Nice review, but I didn't really get into this album much.

November 1st 2008

it took awhile to work for me due to the middle section dragging at first, but it becomes a great listen.

jrowa001
November 1st 2008

hey props for reviewing this. glad i couldve gotten you into it. this album is so damn fun and chaotic. the lyrics are fun to read while listening to it since sometimes you cant really make out what the vocalist is screaming. the art is what i got off of RYM and its the same art that many blogs are using as the cover. should be the right one. i was actually thinking the same thing about where is the song Hitler haha

November 1st 2008

maybe they're saving it for whatever album they do next wit hthe word "core" after it seeing as browsing their lastfm page thats how they work. :p

anyway, i was unsure about the art because its different on a couple of cd store sites and lastfm, but i'm sure this'll do

iamrockzorz
November 1st 2008

this kinda reminds me of look what i did.

pretty good

handoman
November 1st 2008

Good review. I'm glad somebody reviewed this. jrowa ftw.

November 1st 2008

have you heard that track? it's probably the best off here, in my opinion.

Doppelganger
November 1st 2008

Listening to this on last.fm. Look What I Did comparisons are obvious.

SnackaryBinx
November 22nd 2008

seriously fucking amazing.

fireaboveicebelow
December 17th 2008

second listen, this is pretty cool

withintention
December 18th 2008

so chaotic, i'm in love

Phantom
December 18th 2008

Down I Go always reminds me of that moment in the simpsons when Hans Moleman gets out the big sword. It's weight pulls him over and he says that as he falls.

So yeah, getting this now. Sounds pretty interesting from the review.

Pete DIG
January 6th 2009

That Hans Moleman moment is actually where the name came from. Pretty damn dark, I'm sure you'll agree... ;)

Cheers for checking out the record anyway, whether it sounded good or not.

gaslightanthem
January 17th 2009

this is good yeah

SeaAnemone
April 28th 2010

20318 Comments

well this is incredibly intriguing... please don't mind if I listen

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II