mewithoutYou
Catch For Us The Foxes

by Kiran EMERITUS
October 22nd, 2008 | 125 replies | 31,044 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Combining the aggressive elements of A to B: Life with the atmospheric Brother, Sister, then throwing Weiss' vocal and lyrical prowess into the mix, Catch For Us The Foxes demands to be heard.

If you’re familiar with A to B: Life, it was a much rawer, more aggressive album compared to Brother, Sister, a far more atmospheric, indie-influenced album revolving around the melodic ramblings of Aaron Weiss. Catch For Us The Foxes, the bands 2nd full length, serves as the stepping-stone between the two, combining the aggressive elements of their previous record with a rawer take on the atmospheric approach that distinguished their follow up. Of course, if you’re not in fact familiar with mewithoutYou, Catch For Us The Foxes is a perfect introduction; showcasing some of the best elements of the band whilst hinting at many of the things to come.

Easily distinguishable from the very start, Aaron Weiss is quite a unique front man. He takes an aggressive spoken-word approach, albeit more melodic than on the bands last outing, sometimes reduced to a ramble and at other times full blown screams above the soundscape the band creates behind him. His voice often serves as the focal point of emotion, only bolstered by his masterfully crafted lyrics. Weiss is a poet at his core and his lyrics often reflect a sense of personal struggle and introspection which, combined with his vocal ability, make for consistently memorable moments in his songs, such as in opening track “Torches Together” where he sings “You played the flute, but no one was dancing, /And you sang a sad song, and none of us cried.”

His lyrical tales aren’t as fleshed out as on Brother, Sister, but he still manages to portray a keen sense of awareness and imagery, with metaphors aplenty. However, none of this would achieve the same emotional peak that it does, without the assistance of the band. In “Disaster Tourism”, led by the wailing guitar, the song is brought to it’s climax, before sinking back down but instead of allowing it to fade away, the guitars continue with a sinister undertone, as if threatening to explode again, before the song ends. “The Soviet” sees a wayward riff wander behind Weiss’ vocals until a drum roll brings the bass heavy interlude into the songs atmospheric climax. The spoken-word vocals make it so that every last intricacy, every last intertwining guitar or drumbeat, has to achieve a purpose in lifting the meaning of the words, which serve as the emphasis of Weiss’ delivery.

Then there’s God. Aaron Weiss believes in him. He writes a couple lines about him as well. Does that hinder the listening experience in any way? Unless you’re blatantly looking for reasons not to enjoy this, it really shouldn’t. The most obvious example of Weiss’ religious ramblings can be found in the first lines of “The Soviet” when he proclaims, “God is love and love is real”, but apart from that, many of the religious undertones are specifically that: undertones. They aren’t preachy or in your face but rather a lot more subtle and often heavily doused in metaphor. Even when he does talk about God, it relates to a far more personal relationship with him and not an obnoxious imposing of belief. Weiss is far too careful for that. He rides an intricate line between worship and inquisition, stating, “And if I didn't have You as my guide, I'd still wander lost in Sinai” relating to the story of Moses, exemplifying, as I previously stated, his state of personal struggle rather than religious imposition.

Ultimately, mewithoutYou craft songs that pulse with a musical maturity and depth. Stripped of the vocals, this is a post-hardcore record at its core and the riffs, heavy bass lines and sheer urgency of the tempo support this claim. But make no mistake, the living, beating heart of this record is Aaron Weiss.

Catch For Us The Foxes is a torrid musical journey that deserves to be listened to. It’s carved out a niche for mewithoutYou that is specifically their own, distinguishing their sound from any musical counterparts whilst continuing to expand on it, as seen in the follow up, Brother, Sister. This is truly a remarkable listening experience.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra IIBeirut The Rip Tide
Alex Turner Submarine OSTClive Tanaka y Su Orquesta Jet Set Siempre No. 1
Robyn Body TalkThe Concretes WYWH
4.2
  • Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (5)
    mewithoutYou's (second) best LP could be post-hardcore's finest ever! The album of 200(4)!...

Tyler (4)
    mewithoutYou creates a simple, happy, but polarizing album. While not as good as Brother, ...

ohhhcomely (5)
    Clever words on pages turn to fragments, circles, points, and lines/and they cover them li...

Aaron (5)
    My life's a cup of sugar I borrowed before time began and forgot to return....

• BlindGuy1012 (5)
    mewithoutYou is a band that is well, kind of strange and just a little bit different. They...

badtaste

Very nice review.

Only thing that bummed me is before the first paragraph is over, you've mentioned the same two album titles three times each.

McP3000
October 23rd 2008

i need to get this album

October 23rd 2008

Thanks badtaste, and yeah, I kinda hated the intro while re-reading this, mainly due to the fact I had no idea how to start this and ended up comparing it to their previous and follow up albums. I plan to do some edits later, there are a few parts I want to change.

Spamue1G
October 23rd 2008

This is a great review. My one complaint is that you went in to MUCH more detail on the vocals than anything else, but I can see why you did that from the rest of your review. pos'd

October 23rd 2008

in the last paragraph i would replace "progress" with "expand." otherwise nice, spamue1g is right but aaron is just so awesome that i don't mind! i did the same thing with my review anyway basically. he is very hard not to talk a lot about haha

fixed.

I may have gotten carried away with Aaron Weiss but he's so so good on this record so it's not unwarranted!

StreetlightRock

yesyesyes

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Nice review...but...

[quote=summary]Combining the aggressive elements of A to B: Life with the atmospheric Brother, Sister[/quote]

Can it really be a combination of their previous album and one that had not been released yet? I mean I know what you're saying but it just seems weird to say its a combination of the two when one of then hadn't even been thought up yet...maybe I'm just nitpickingThis Message Edited On 10.23.08

October 23rd 2008

I get what you're saying but I don't think it really matters tbh. Brother, Sister has been released for a long time now and I'm reviewing this album over 4 years after its release, so is it really a huge problem comparing the two despite Brother, Sister not existing at the time of this release? As I explained in the review, I believe this served as a stepping stone between the sounds and I elaborated on that.

kalkal50
October 23rd 2008

Well he did review the album 2 years after the release of Brother, Sister, so despite the anachronism it is fully warranted. This Message Edited On 10.23.08

October 23rd 2008

Yeah I wasn't like complaining or anything just when I thought about it it just seemed a bit off at the time

lunchforthesky
October 23rd 2008

It would be better to desrcibe it as a halfway point or a stop gap between the two rather than combining them.

October 23rd 2008

their best album blah blah blah same old shit i usually say

Iluvatar
October 23rd 2008

Last two tracks are not nearly as good as the rest of the album but the record as a whole still rules.

scalara
October 23rd 2008

yah album rules but it's got nothing on BS. good review too

October 23rd 2008

um carousels is one of the most powerful mwy songs plz

Athom

agree with cb

indeed

kind of hard to pick their "most powerful" though since almost every song they've written is powerful/moving just about though...to me anyways...This Message Edited On 10.23.08

October 23rd 2008

its not hard o porcupine is their most powerful

October 23rd 2008

up there but not the best, prob the best on that album except for c-minor