An Endless Sporadic
Ameliorate

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (56 Reviews)
September 21st, 2008 | 50 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Progressive metal finally progresses

Progressive metal. This expression was originally created to describe bands that pushed the boundaries of metal by throwing the genre into new directions it had never ventured into usually by incorporating a variety of styles into their music. But when these same styles are repeated and re-done over and over by new bands, is it still right to call them progressive?

While you mull that up in your head, let me introduce An Endless Sporadic, a new band hailing from California that can be considered progressive metal by almost anyone’s definition.

Their first effort is the Ameliorate EP which is an instrumental album (save a few spoken words in the middle of the opening track) that combines metal with various rock style (70’s prog rock and rock rock to name a few), some jazzy elements, acoustic sections and a few other instruments here and there. All this on a 4 track EP.

The basis of the album is clearly metal. Quick aggressive rhythms often over layered with soaring melodic leads, sprinkled with the occasional odd breakdown (and not those stupid chug chug “core” breakdowns) are the main foundation that the band builds upon by adding odd, often unexpected, time changes, synth lines (that sound straight out of an old-school prog album), acoustic passages and various effects.

The whole album is an onslaught of riffs. The band never seems to run out of ideas of original guitar riffs often over layered with melodic leads. But what makes this band unique is more than just their interesting guitar parts linked together by odd time signatures, melodic soloing and chaotic breakdowns. Each song features unique extras that separate them from the rest of the songs on the EP and make everything sound fresh.

These little extras can take various forms and sounds. Clean guitars are used, often coming in at odd times creating a pleasantly surprising change in the song. Various guitar effects are used throughout the EP to complement a clean section or over a heavy rhythm section to give a whole new dimension to the passage being played. Synths play an enormous role on the album. Impulse and The Adventures of Jabubu are full of 70’s prog-style synths while Anything includes a few spacey sounding parts and Sun Of Pearls features some techo-like sounds to complement to heavy guitars during the chorus. Both Sun Of Pearl and The Adventures Of Jabubu feature a small use of piano. But the most shocking part is the use of what sounds like a xylophone in the last song (The Adventures Of Jabubu).

An Endless Sporadic release a superb EP in the hopes of anchoring themselves into the modern music scene and might very well be able to do so if their debut stays as strong and original as this.
Any fan of metal or rock that is looking for something new and exciting in todays music scene owes it to themselves to check out this EP. It makes a ferocious contender for EP of the year.

SCREAM!

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void

September 21st 2008

Editer's note: Discovered these guys thanks to guitar heroThis Message Edited On 09.21.08

BunionMan
September 21st 2008

They finally released something? Impulse was my favorite song
on GH3, so I've been hoping they would release something for a
while now. Also, nice job on the review. It flowed pretty well
and went into a good amount of description, especially
considering the length of the release.
This Message Edited On 09.21.08

September 21st 2008

This has been out for a few months now

Kage
September 21st 2008

Your summary says "Progressive metal finally progresses" and then the review makes this sound really generic.

BunionMan
September 21st 2008

@Scream: I guess i missed it then...

fireaboveicebelow
September 21st 2008

ahh I didn't know he had something new out thanks dude good review too

He? Aren't they two?

fireaboveicebelow
September 21st 2008

yeah you're right I forgot the other dude

September 21st 2008

I could never find this release, but it appears to be on itunes now so ill give it a shot.

And Impulse was one of my favs on GHIII also.

Digging: Battles - Mirrored

September 21st 2008

I just noticed the first album on the members also liked section and i laughedThis Message Edited On 09.21.08

September 21st 2008

Well, I just listened to this twice throgh (well, only the first three songs, itunes wouldnt allow me to get the fourth cuz of that fucking error again...) and it's phenomenal.

ohcleverhansyou
September 21st 2008

This band is really impressive, I look forward to more.

September 21st 2008

Its so easy to listen to this again and again cause of the lenght and how varied everything is

September 21st 2008

That statement is very true...but i can't find myself bringing this (or an EP for the matter) above a 4. It's fantastic, but its way too short.

September 21st 2008

You can't really say a four track EP is too short. Any longer wouldn't really be an EP anymore. But this definately has me looking forward to their debut

September 21st 2008

Well yeah, its not too short for an EP, its just that EPs are too short in general I suppose, no matter how awesome the quality (this is also the case for Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene) I am never compelled to give an EP higher than a 4.

willfellmarsy
September 21st 2008

Good review as always, i shall get this...you should look into Augury's Cocealed btw, i didn't see it in your ratings but it seems like your cup of tea...anyway i'll prob try to get this tomorrow...

elephantREVOLUTION
September 21st 2008

they must have some kind of tie in with neversoft cuz sun of pearl was in tony hawk american wasteland

botb
September 21st 2008

Glad to see that someone else has heard this EP. It's truly awesome.

jrowa001
September 22nd 2008

this looks good, ill def be looking for it