Say Anything
Menorah/Majora

by JumpTheF**kUp USER (7 Reviews)
September 17th, 2008 | 15 replies | 22,357 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 'EPs like this are why bands like Say Anything exist'

In 2002, well before Say Anything released …Is A Real Boy and got huge, Max Bemis and Coby Linder recorded this EP, the Menorah/Majora EP and released it online in order to garner some attention and hopefully be signed to a label. Evidently it worked, as 2 albums and a huge fanbase later, Say Anything are set to release their third LP sometime in 2009. So this was the EP that set it all in motion, but was it really all that great to begin with, or do their future records make this pretty much obsolete?

The first thing to note is that the production is not exactly the greatest. Fans of their later work will undoubtedly be put off by the less than perfect production, especially when it comes to Max’s voice (which is more nasally than ever here), and the tinny sound of some of the instruments. While this does tend to detract away from the enjoyment of some of the songs, it also creates a more warming atmosphere, making them feel as if they were recorded with love, adding a sense of genuine honesty to the emotions Max is conveying. And these emotions are at the heart of this EP, with the gentle, loving acoustic strumming of the opening track, Walk Through Hell, to the nostalgia in Try to Remember, Forget, to the carefree rockin’ of Baseball, But Better.

The tracks themselves all have that patented Say Anything sound, but there is enough variety for this to remain interesting even after repeated listenings. The aforementioned Try to Remember, Forget is one of the best straight out pop-punk tracks Say Anything have done, and is a great summary of what this EP is as a whole. It’s got great lyrics and a lot of emotion, but there is a simplicity to the instrumentation that will leave some wanting more - and while it's not as great as it's 2 follow-ups, it's still a worthy album in it's own right.

Three and a half stars out of five

- JumpTheF**kUp (15th Review)

Fall Out Boy Folie a DeuxUnderoath Lost in the Sound of Separation
Rise Against Appeal to ReasonWe're From Japan! 48 Minutes, 7 Seconds, Then The Open Air
Streetlight Manifesto Somewhere in the BetweenLemon Jelly Lemonjelly.KY

JumpTheF**kUp
September 17th 2008

holy shit this is way short

Serpento
September 17th 2008

that's what i said when i got the ep =/

edit: if you really want to you can flesh it out, if only for the sake of covering the music more. like this I think it reads fine.This Message Edited On 09.17.08

JumpTheF**kUp
September 17th 2008

I'm wondering whether I should lengthen this or not, but I probably won't because I'm a lazy bastard.
On another note, some of these tracks are amazing and Max should re-record them or something because more people should hear them.

zack182daley
September 17th 2008

Nah, the album is short too. LOL nice review by the way

Iluvatar
September 17th 2008

you never really bring any closure to that sentiment

newjunkaesthetic93
October 20th 2010

Well I think this is a really solid record. Plus I could listen to "A Walk Through Hell" everyday and never get bored with it

October 27th 2010

studio band

ThePrince1993
January 19th 2011

This band is epic, this album is epic, and it is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Yotimi
January 19th 2011

A walk through Hell's kinda catchy

Digging: Millie and Andrea - Drop The Vowels

ThePrince1993
March 10th 2011

Yotimi how can you give this a 2.5?

March 10th 2011

Cuz walk through hell's the only good song (except plans)

Whatsgood
March 26th 2011

I think calling any band a 'studio band' is a poor statement to make, with the proper equipment a band's music is not only going to sound better, but they also gain access to new techniques they can use to achieve the 'perfect' sound musically. I think Max's vocal delivery on this album is actually stronger than ever, full of emotion, and that makes up for any of this EP's tiny weakpoints.

March 27th 2011

I love Say Anything.

When I made that last statement I had just seen a piss poor performance via MAX Bemis and was incredibly disappointed.

This EP has some moments that show promise.

jefflebowski
October 5th 2011

so this is where Thrice nicked their album title from

Digging: Tom Waits - Bone Machine

DotEight
May 8th 2012

"And if they send a whirlwind, I'd hug it, like a harmless little dream. Or an earthquake, I'd calm it, and I'd bring you back to me".