All That Remains
Overcome

good

by Corey USER (26 Reviews)
September 16th, 2008 | 44 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid effort from All That Remains but they still need to take it to that next level to be a real contender.

All That Remains - Overcome

All That Remains' got a brief taste of success with their third album, The Fall of Ideals, which was praised among many. It featured excellent musicianship from guitarist Mike Martin and Oli Herbert along with singer Phil LaBonte showing off his outstanding vocal variety. That record was considered a milestone for the genre of metalcore, but it was only rated decent as a "true metal album" for a lot of metalheads, which makes expectations high for their forth studio album, Overcome. Most bands in this situation either take their sound up to a new level or tone things down a bit. All That Remains have done a little of both on this album.

One of the most noticeable things when you first listen to this record is how different the production is. This is their first album without Adam Dutkiewicz behind the production board and this time around they hired Jason Suecof (Trivium, Bury Your Dead, God Forbid) for the job. LaBonte's death grunts are as strong as ever but his clean vocals sound much louder and polished than they did before. While his clean vocals add an extra punch to the chorus', his voice sounds like it's lacking a lot more emotion and power. LaBonte still sounds great and he transitions from shrieks to grunts to singing very well but those who have heard songs like "Tattered On My Sleeve" and "The Weak Willed" may be disappointed.

The band's sound is still primarily metalcore but there are a lot of signs of progression and diversity in many areas. "A Song For The Hopeless" being one of the most notable, with it's soft intro and verses leading into a brutal chorus making one hell of a track. The closing track is a cover of Nevermore's "Believe In Nothing" which is different than anything the band has ever done before. It's a slow paced ballad where LaBonte sings with a very soft voice for most of the song. It might take you a few second to realize that you're still listening to All That Remains on this song. Either way, it's a very bold track that will generate mixed results. There are still plenty of great guitar leads and solos from Herbert and Martin. The guitar solos are top notch as always and there is one in nearly every song so those who are fans of their guitar-work don't need to worry about that being gone. New drummer Jason Costa also does a great job filling in for departing drummer, Shannon Lucas, which is a big hole to fill.

The two heaviest songs on the album are "Relinquished' and the opener "Before The Damned." Both are typical All That Remains songs only the new production shows off in the chorus of "Before The Damned." The somewhat radio friendly "Two Weeks" follows it, this is pretty different from what fans might be expecting for a couple reasons. For one, there aren't any death grunts or screams aside from a few layered vocals in the first verse, and this song just screams "radio friendly" which isn't what most expect from All That Remains. Thankfully, it's a catchy track and rather enjoyable. Another lighter song is "Forever In Your Hands," which starts off well but it lacks power in the chorus, especially with the incredibly cheesy lyrics. The formentioned "A Song For The Hopeless" and "Believe In Nothing" are the only other ligher songs on the album. The rest of Overcome is full of hard-hitting songs like "Chiron," "Do Not Obey" and the title track. The heavier songs are done in standard All That Remains fashion. heavy verse, clean sung chorus and a solo from Herbert. Only LaBonte's clean vocals are used more frequently and the chorus' stand out a lot more. Not to say re-using the same formula is bad. Like some say, "If it' ain't broke don't mess with it."

Overcome is a step forward and a step backward for All That Remains. It's clear they want to take a step away from metalcore since they nearly mastered it on The Fall of Ideals. There are some signs of progression but they are still mainly a metalcore band. Too many bands have tried to break away from metalcore before and ended up making a medicore or bad album in the process. Thankfully, this isn't the case here because Overcome is a solid release. The main flaws are how the over-production drags down some of the songs. It's good that they want to branch out and try new styles but seem to be more comfortable playing their own style of music since the heavier songs are the strongest ones on here. A solid effort from All That Remains but they still need to take it to that next level to be a real contender in metal.

Favorite Tracks: Relinquished, Before The Damned, A Song For The Hopeless, Chiron

Rating: 7/10

Living With Lions Dude Manor EPTigers Jaw Tigers Jaw
Razor of Occam Homage To MartyrsThe Blackout Argument Remedies
Propagandhi Supporting CasteLamb of God Wrath
2.8
good
  • Locrian (2)
    All That Remains replace progression with mediocrity....

ZomarK (3)
    While I Feel that Overcome is good album, I cant get the nagging hope out of my head that ...

McDiggitz (2.5)
    A so-so effort, seeming like they are departing metal for a more generic "rock"....

Themadhatter (4)
    2008s Overcome is an aggressive, tactile, and well produced album that any fan of the genr...

• Spamue1G (1.5)
    Big disappointment. Buy only if you're a complete fanboy, as this is one of the biggest le...

Tyler Munro EMERITUS (2.5)
    An almost consistently good, but never great album....

morjens
September 16th 2008

Good review. I enjoyed this album pretty much even though i was a bit disappointed at first and not really what i expected. But there are lots of great songs on this album (Chiron,Two Weeks,Overcome) and a couple...not very good ones (Forever In Your Hands,Do Not Obey) mainly because of the lame lyrics and choruses.

I liked the cover song they did aswell.

Anyways i don't think this album is as good as 'TFoI' but it's still a fun listen and a good album.

zuzek
September 16th 2008

Was curious what the first review would grade this as, and I'm surprised it's higher than I would've thought. Your review is decent, but focusing too much on the Labonte side of things. You're mainly covering vocals and lyrics, next to overproduction (which I totally agree with).

The brief mention of guitars is missing something. Overcome features more standard chugga chugga than TFoI and, while they are much more technical, most solo's on the record are very forgettable (and imo generic). I don't see any mention of drums or bass, or how the band's chemistry is on this record as a collective. You make fair and strong points, but I believe you could've made a more interesting review by going deeper into the material.

That said, I agree with close to all of your words. "Believe in Nothing" sounds good, but ATR could've given it a personal twist. Now it's nothing but a very safe cover. Phil not being very diverse and overproduced are the biggest reason I would not rate this album over a 2.5. Would've been a 2 if it wasn't for Chiron to boost the album quite a bit.

September 16th 2008

Might wanna revise this, the point you are trying to make here is jumbled and confusing. Good review, but dont forget about them drums. I can understand not mentioning the bass as it is practically nonexistent, but considering this album has a new drummer you might wanna throw in a bit about the drums so people know whether its a good or bad transition between the drummers.

oh yea and chirion is the only great track off this. other than that its rather standard fareThis Message Edited On 09.16.08

Thor
September 16th 2008

Decent album, though not nearly as amazing as its predecessor.

Digging: Black Crown Initiate - The Wreckage of Stars

AngelPhoenix
September 16th 2008

Maybe I'm missing something from a technical or songwriting standpoint, but I find this far more enjoyable than TFoI...

Tyler
September 16th 2008

It might be better from front to back but it doesnt have any real "it" factor to it. It's more consistent but the highs are never as high as they were on TFoI, which was good but still pretty overrated anyways. I'm not sure what I'll rate this, I'm between a 2.5 and a 3. We'll see how my review reads and go from there I guess.

Jom
September 16th 2008

Good record. Nothing particularly stands out (whereas the first two albums had memorable moments you could name specifically), but what you expect from these guys (tight rhythm section [especially on the kit], awesome leads, strong vocals) is on here.

SilhouetteLies
September 16th 2008

I'm disappointed with this album. I think Adam D contributed a lot to their sound in the past. He's a great producer and seems to put a certain touch on albums that makes them golden. I don't think I would trust any producer that has anything to do with Trivium. Jason Costa does a great job on drums, but a lot of his stuff seems generic, just following the chugging of the main riffs. Maybe coming after Shannon Lucas he has big shoes to fill, but I think he could have done better. Phil's cleans sound a little more raw, which I like, but again, the lyrics are very generic and lame. I would have liked to hear some more death vocals and higher screams. The Weak Willed is probably the best showcase of his vocals and he didn't do it any justice this time around.

kattunlover69
September 16th 2008

meh im still gonna pick it up soon

ToWhatEnd
September 16th 2008

Never understood the hype behind this band. TFoI was enjoyable but these guys were never saving metalcore or anything like that. Will probably spin this but I'm not expecting more than a 3.

agreed.

nothing could save metalcore

Willie
September 16th 2008

It's a good thing I haven't got bored of TFoI since this album doesn't seem to be nearly as good.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

kattunlover69

btbam

Hawks

Exactly

SnackaryBinx

agreed.

nothing could save metalcore

I can still dream one day, maybe Misery Signals will.

willfellmarsy
September 16th 2008

[quote=Corey]Like some say, "If it' ain't broke don't mess with it."[/quote]
No one says this

Pebster49
September 16th 2008

uh I do, not in the exact words though...its "If its not broken, don't fix it"This Message Edited On 09.16.08

willfellmarsy
September 16th 2008

yea, that's what i meant...if you're going to use a cliche, don't be biff (Back to the Future), use it correctly

correcting you and bringing in examples from 80's classics, what a baller

CushMG15
September 16th 2008

"We gotta get you a proverb book. This mix and match shit has gotta go."

I've only gotten through the first half, and it's pretty enjoyable so far. A little softer than I would've liked, but all the good stuff is still there.

Good Review too man.This Message Edited On 09.16.08