Nas
God's Son

by michaelbchnn USER (5 Reviews)
September 13th, 2008 | 23 replies | 12,576 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While Hip Hop fans see Stillmatic as Nas’s second classic, and the mainstream keeps looking for it. I say with God’s Son he already made it.

After his 2001 album Stillmatic not only restored his credibility but succeeded in Knocking reigning Hip Hop king Jay-Z off his throne (at least for a while), Nas needed to show that he could continue to make great music and not go back to his late 90’s pop antics. Before the release of his follow up God’s Son, there were numerous rumors about Nas joining forces with hip hop giant Murder INC. Highly successful but looked upon with scorn for their pop tinged hits that the hip hop community saw as everything wrong with the genre. Nas did nothing to squash the rumors even going as far as to appear on a song with Murder INC’s flagship artists Ja-Rule and Ashanti. Fortunately the rumors were false but many were still worried about the direction Nas would take on the new album.
All Nas did was release the most emotional Hip Hop album ever made. The two singles, Made you Look and I Can were the biggest of his career, and proved he could have commercial success without straying from his roots.

Here is a track by track review of every song.

1. Get Down- He starts the album off with a bang lyrically it’s astounding and may be the best he’s ever done. 5/5

2. The Cross- Produced by Eminem, the beat is mediocre but the lyrics make up for it. Listen closely to the second verse when he rhymes his albums together. 4/5

3. Made you look- By far the best single of his career and one of the top 5 hip hop songs of the decade. The hook is one sticks in your head for ever. “Made you look; you’re a slave to a page in my rhyme book” 5/5

4. Last Real Nigga Alive- This is where Nas takes us through a journey of the mid 90 conflicts between him Biggie, and Wu-tang. It’s also where the beef with Jay-Z truly ends, brushing him off as if nothing but a crumb. 5/5

5. Zone Out- The worst song on the album. The beat sucks, Nas’s verse is good but the Bravehearts continue to show why they should never be allowed anywhere near a mic. 2.5/5

6. Hey Nas- One of the weaker songs on the album, it’s a good but unspectacular song with a mediocre hook sung by Kelis and Claudette Ortiz. It is his best attempt at a ladies song though. 3/5

7. I Can- Criticized by some for being cheesy and a blatant attempt at radio; it’s a great song for the kids to listen to without being bombarded with curses and drug talk. 4/5

8. Book Of Rhymes- A clever track where Nas goes through an old book of rhymes, dismissing seemingly good verses as trash until the stunning last verse. 5/5

9. Mastermind- The other weak track on the album, basically tough talk over a weak beat. 3/5

10. Thugz Mansion- A superior remix to the original, with a mellower chorus that fits both Nas’s more laid back rhymes and Tupacs visions of heaven perfectly. 4/5

11. Warrior Song- Produced by Alicia keys, it keeps the emotional theme of the album with a great hook by Alicia. 4/5

12. Revolutionary Warfare- A great song featuring Lake the kid who continues the trend of making a great guest appearance on a Nas song only to fall of the face of the earth. 4/5

13. Dance- The emotional centerpiece of the album, Nas reminisces about his last moments with his mother dreaming of another dance with her. If it was anyone else it would be sappy but Nas makes it work. 5/5

14. Heaven- An excellent closer to an excellent album, with a great hook by Jully black. Nas wonders how we would behave if heaven was just a mile away. 5/5

thecreative0ne (4.5)
One of the best Nas albums, which has Nas finding religion, which was a good choice....

Bulldog (4)
Was this Illmatic? No. But it came fairly close....

bastard
September 13th 2008

which mod passed this review through?

September 13th 2008

All Nas did was release the most emotional Hip Hop album ever made.

Also, if you are going to do a track by track you really should make it as detailed as possible.
The intro is pretty good though...

September 13th 2008

Besides saying whether or not the beats/vocals are good or bad... say why they are. You don't need to note that your track-by-track review list is indeed a review of each track; that's obvious by the fact that this is a review. A phrase like "Nas released the most emotional rap" is a bit loaded and unnecessary.

edit: The wallet vendor beat me.This Message Edited On 09.13.08

September 13th 2008

Actually scratch that, just try to avoid track by tracks altogether...they are generally frowned upon...

joshuatree

michaelbchnn
September 13th 2008

Thanks for the constructive critisism, I'll try to do better next time.

Spamue1G
September 13th 2008

I'm gonna review this soon, I think. I've been meaning to for a while. Won't bother criticising, everyone's said what I would anyway. Ever heard the Tupac Thugz Mansion acoustic version? I think that's one of his best songs. On the version on here, Tupac's voice is badly produced (although I think that may have been deliberately done to make Nas' voice sound better. Tupac is just clearly much better even then, though) and they took out the beautiful Tupac intro and first verse, replacing it with an ok Nas verse. Thugz Mansion (acoustic) uncensored on Youtube is the best version, that video's got to be one of the most simple yet beautiful videos ever made.

September 13th 2008

[quote='joshuatree']Illmatic is the only thing Nas has ever made worth a 4, nevermind a 4.5. Pretty bad review, too.[/quote]
At minimum a 4... an argument for a 5 is definitely understandable.

cbmartinez
September 13th 2008

pretty good album, made you look might be my favorite nas song ever though

AyatollahKhomeini
September 13th 2008

[quote=marksellsuswallets]When people state that something is "the best" or "the worst" or "the most (something" it tends to cause problems, so try to avoid that.[/quote]

so wait guys
is he not supposed to make qualitative comparisons?

nope.

September 13th 2008

Its fine to think that something is "the best"...I'm just saying usually when you say it all you do is catch crap for it...also, there are better qualitative comparisons than just "this is the greatest _____" of all time...

January 5th 2011

this album is so fuckin good. "Get Down", "The Cross", "Warrior's Song" "Dance" are prolly my fave songs off of this.

MUNGOLOID
January 5th 2011

"I Can" was the jam back then.

might review this

January 5th 2011

albums pretty good i guess. this is right around the time where his terrible beat selection started

January 5th 2011

Lol it started way earlier than here.

Was thinking about doing a nas discog tbh, im relistening to a lot of his stuff.

Has anybody ever done a rap discog on sputnik?

January 5th 2011

besides me and the twin perils camp, and someone doing house of pain, no

hmmmm

January 5th 2011

speaking of house of pain

PACK IT UP, PACK IT IN