mewithoutYou
Brother, Sister

by Channing Freeman STAFF
August 29th, 2008 | 1082 replies | 72,229 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The trap I set for you seems to have caught my leg instead.

These days, Christian bands in the mainstream have become a dime a dozen. There's Underoath, a black metal-cum-post hardcore-cum-metalcore band who's probably the most popular of the bunch (rightfully so); As Cities Burn, who took their root post hardcore sound and merged it with post rock and progressive influences on their latest album; Anberlin, who insist they aren't a Christian band but aren't really fooling anyone; and then there's bands like Zao (good) and Norma Jean (bad), whose unrelenting heaviness bring to mind the devil rather than God. There are, of course, a host of others who simply aren't as good as the aforementioned bands.

The Christian message in these bands' music isn't always obvious - praise and worship bands don't get airplay on MTV. Still, one needs only to merely take a quick glance at a few of their songs to see that, while they could certainly be interpreted and applied to things other than God, most of their lyrics contain rather positive messages about Christianity, or negative messages about non-Christians, usually hidden beneath diatribes about the downfall of American society and culture as it moves farther and farther towards a more liberal and progressive outlook countrywide. The point is, not many Christian bands have a message that non-Christians can take inspiration from; it would be a rare thing for a Wiccan lesbian to be able to look at the "struggles" of a modern day Christian and be inspired.

I digress. There's bands like that...and then there's mewithoutYou.

Starting out with a rather raw post hardcore sound, mewithoutYou released their first album A:B Life in 2002. The album was rough, to say the least, but it was a good introduction to the band, especially to eccentric and quirky frontman Aaron Weiss, whose lyrics and passionate vocal performances have always been a rather large draw for fans of the band. mewithoutYou really hit their stride with Catch for Us the Foxes, which refined the sound heard on their debut into something a bit easier to stomach, but with no less energy and passion. 2006's Brother, Sister sees mewithoutYou in top form, as their indie influences were finally given room to shine through prominently.

Any fan of the band would have most likely been content with a similar musical effort to Catch for Us the Foxes on Brother, Sister, but mewithoutYou once again showed that they could morph their sound into something new and exciting with each album. In 2006, when most bands in mewithoutYou's niche were trying to become heavier and louder each time they released new music, they chose to go in the opposite direction. One-fourth of the songs on this album are minute-long acoustic interludes with an interweaving theme, utilizing instruments like an accordion (played by Weiss) and various percussion. "Messes of Men" has bells and "In a Sweater Poorly Knit" has a harp. Brother, Sister is their most musically diverse record, but also their most grounded and tuneful. "O Porcupine" is mewithoutYou's greatest achievement in songwriting; the composition of the song is absolutely astounding and intensely clever. The song is fairly standard for the band until it reaches the one minute mark, where Weiss says "All creation groans...SHH!" and then, after a five second pause, whispers "Listen to it!" The band comes back in for another verse until the line "You have a decent ear for notes but you can't yet appreciate harmony," when the musicians play a dissonant section that offsets the lyrics in the most amazing way. The song's climax with guest background vocals from Jeremy Enigk is the best moment on the entire record. "O Porcupine" is the culmination of mewithoutYou's inventiveness and uniqueness.

Of course, there's also a great showing from the band's conventional instruments as well. Although this album has an undeniable lack of atmospheric material, especially compared to A:B Life, guitarist Michael Weiss makes up for this with some of his strongest riffs yet in songs like "C-Minor" and "In a Market Dimly Lit," and impressive progressions in "A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains" and "Nice and Blue (Part 2)." Rickie Mazzotta is one of the most inventive drummers in the scene right now; he is constantly switching beats and tempos and if it weren't for Aaron, he would be the most entertaining member of the band. All in all, the musicians of mewithoutYou are amazingly talented at creating the perfect backing for Weiss' raving.

Which brings me to the best part of mewithoutYou: Aaron Weiss. I would say, with all the confidence in the world, that he is the best frontman in music right now, and one of the most artistic and expressive people I've ever seen. His vocals convey pain, sadness, ecstasy, and any other feeling you could think of. Weiss sings more than he did on earlier releases, and the album is all the better for it. His trademark yell is still there, but even that is more melodic than usual. Lyrically, the spiritual influences take the form of many Biblical references to characters such as Daniel and Job as they relate to modern day Christianity, and Weiss' own doubts in himself, which are still just as prominent as they were on the band's first two albums. "C-Minor" is perhaps Weiss' most touching and believable lyrical outing, as he talks about saving himself for marriage and the battle with his own manhood. It's one of those songs that's relatable both for Christians (who would be familiar with the struggle with their sexuality and libidos) and non-Christians (frustrated teenagers who can't get laid).

I'm still (ehh, technically) a virgin after 27 years,
Which never bothered me before;
What's maybe 50 more?

The harder the rain,
The lower the flowers in the garden bend
(This never ends)
I'd rather never talk again
Than to continue to pretend
That this never ends.

Brother, Sister is honestly one of the most amazing records I've ever heard. The musical talent and unique approach alone make it worth a listen, but the passion and emotion evoked takes mewithoutYou's music to a level that not many bands are able to reach. Every song has amazing moments, whether it be Jeremy Enigk's guest vocals on "O Porcupine" or the gorgeous harp outro of "In a Sweater Poorly Knit." It doesn't matter what genre of music you primarily listen to. You need to hear this band and be amazed at the collisions their music makes.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus
4.3
Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (5)
In darkness a light shines on me, in darkness a light shines on you...

Nevin (5)
Brother, Sister is a lyrical masterpiece....

FailureOnMyLips (5)
Philly's finest add another post-hardcore masterpiece to their impressive discography....

NeverFading14 (4.5)
Their best work so far. Give it a listen at www.purevolume.com/mewithoutYou before purchasing their ...

Iluvatar
August 29th 2008

i do not exist we faithfully insist

Electric City
August 29th 2008

Saw this on facebook, thought it was good then, think it's good now

Digging: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Sea When Absent

Iluvatar
August 29th 2008

Considering only 1/4th of the reviews is from that I think your eyes are tricking you.
2nd best mewithoutyou album aka still one of the most amazing listens you will ever have

ToWhatEnd
August 29th 2008

The summary jam came on shuffle earlier. Love that song. Your Anberlin reference in your opening paragraph is hilarious and the review is great.

roofi
August 29th 2008

Great band, great album, great review.

marksellsuswallets
August 29th 2008

This album and band make my soul feel like its eating chocolate cake...
Aaron Weiss is probably one of the most interesting people on the planet at this very moment

McP3000
August 29th 2008

well chan sold me on getting this

thank you so much you little anti-christian devil you!

Kiran

Awesome review.

love these guys

August 29th 2008

listen to this band people.

fucking shitty reviews knocking this off the front page faster.

charlesfishtitz
August 29th 2008

so, im guessing this would be the best place to start with this group?

StreetlightRock
August 29th 2008

Very cool review, I'm really really liking this.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

August 29th 2008

it's their most accessible yeah. all their shit rules though.

charlesfishtitz

k thanks.

great review too

timothyzha
August 29th 2008

such an insanely good album. everything mwY is brilliant.

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

Fantastic review Chan. I actually think I have heard a song or 2 by this group a while back and they did nothing for me. Yet, this review alone will make me give them another listen some time soon. Well done. A positive vote from me.

AtavanHalen
August 29th 2008

Wow, dude, I never expected a serious review out of you. But you goddamn nailed it, goddamnit.
Well done.

Polaris
August 29th 2008

Awesome review. I reeeeeeeaally need to give this a spin.

Well done.

well thanks but i've written a lot of serious reviews :confused:

JumpTheF**kUp
August 29th 2008

so i am listening to this for the first time right now and it's good

AtavanHalen
August 29th 2008

well thanks but i've written a lot of serious reviews

You know what? I don't believe I've ever really gotten around to reading them. Spent so much time laughing my arse off at Don't You Fake It and Nightmare Anatomy and all your other review comments that I haven't read in any further.
Much respect to you, man.