Underoath
Lost in the Sound of Separation

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
August 27th, 2008 | 1698 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Underoath return in full stride on "Lost in the Sound of Separation", making the most focused album of their careers.

In the months leading up to Lost in the Sound of Separation underOATH (hereafter referred to as just ‘Underoath’) has been building up quite the hype train. After a short series of videos about their time in studio, they were oft-quoted as saying the record was going to be more “epic” and at the same time “way heavier” than their previous effort, Define the Great Line. The promise of something more musically engrossing that would be heavier than Define the Great Line (which, for how poppy it was, was very heavy) was something fans just couldn’t help but get stoked for. The resultant album, Lost in the Sound of Separation brings a tighter sense of songwriting and more experimentalism with their sound and song structure, but seems to lack the “heavier” nature promised, although it is more grand and expansive than anything they have ever written.

This album succeeds greatly with its short, catchy songs. The first two tracks, “Breathing In a New Mentality” and “Anyone Can Dig a Hole But It Takes a Real Man to Call it Home” (the titles have gotten exponentially ridiculous, yes) contain ever changing, progressive metalcore sections. “Breathing…” features a part reminiscent of sister band Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, with a “southern metalcore” riff being placed over Spencer’s improved again screaming, while a spacey bridge connects the song to its conclusion. Spacey is what describes the songwriting best, as its very A Types Hopesfall inspired stuff. Keyboardist Dudley doesn’t take very many extended breaks by himself this time (except on the continuing tracks “The End is Near” and “The End is Here”), but contributes more to the atmosphere of the songs themselves than ever before.

The only song that truly fits what Underoath had described before the album came out is “The Only Survivor Was Miraculously Unharmed”, a crushing song that actually shows a true sense of catharsis to Underoath’s music, as it transforms from a heavy blast of older-Underoath inspired metalcore (while containing the albums centerpiece moment, as Spencer howls “They just spin in perfect little circles, its all that they do” as an ‘epic’ guitar line accompanies it) into Aaron singing along with Spencer in a tension building segment that just simply ends. It is unfortunate that after the excellent first half of the album, we are treated to quite a disappointment in the next few tracks.

A trio of songs follow, “We Are the Involuntary”, “The Created Void”, “Coming Down is Calming Down” that are absolutely unmemorable. Along with “A Fault Line, A Fault of Mine” they are the Achilles Heel of the album, creating a sense of genericism within the record. They don’t really differentiate themselves much, and just contain standard Underoath songwriting. It’s on these tracks the lack of heavy sections is apparent, and while there are interesting moments strewn throughout them, there is nothing that hooks the listener into really paying attention to them.

Lost in the Sound of Separation does still succeed despite these weaker tracks. The “ballad” of “Too Bright To See Too Loud” is actually quite beautiful, with the chorus of members singing “Good God, can you still get us home”. It also contains one of the most impressive moments on the album, as after said chorus Spencer breaks in with a scream of “How can we still get home?”, sounding more pained and disaffected than ever. The album notes Underoath’s maturation not only as musicians but also as people, as we’re getting a deeper look into them than we ever have. If the album was more consistent and had more memorable parts making it up, it would be a tremendous triumph. However, when Underoath hits it they hit it well, and Lost in the Sound of Separation is still a very good record despite its faults.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

August 27th 2008

ack need to fix album art!
It's also a high 3.5 guys I mean

poopty
August 27th 2008

this or define the great line?
I've only just gotten into some of this bands stuff, so what would you say?
Good review too.

fireaboveicebelow

lol Dudley

this sounds good, I liked the last one so I'll probably check this out

August 27th 2008

I like Maylene and I really like A Types so I might actually get this although the only album I like from them really is TCOT. I'd be nagged mercifully if I didn't so I don't have a choice.

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

August 27th 2008

I prefer Define the Great Line. Some people prefer Lost in Sound of Seperation.,

SHOOTME
August 27th 2008

never really got into these guys...

good review mr. hanson.

marksellsuswallets
August 27th 2008

Good review...Dang I already had mine written...guess I have to wait a little while...

...“southern metalcore” riff being placed over Spencer’s improved again screaming

He has turned into a beastly vocalist imo
Anyways, if the singles are any indication, this will probably be about a 4 for me.

DFelon204409
August 27th 2008

why is this a staff pick?

poopty
August 27th 2008

I prefer Define the Great Line. Some people prefer Lost in Sound of Seperation.

I'll just listen to them both then, one after the other.

SHOOTME
August 27th 2008

now i am just waiting for breadweathers or whatever to come in here and ask "is this anything like (completely unrelated band)" or something along those lines.

Mikesn
August 27th 2008

I've never actually listened to Underoath so I should probably listen to this!This Message Edited On 08.27.08

ninjuice
August 27th 2008

Didn't like DTGL too much but this sounds better. Interested to hear it now.

August 27th 2008

why is this a staff pick?

Because Its breaks on a 3.5/4 for me, and I do believe it is good enough to be recommended to the sputnik audience.

DFelon204409
August 27th 2008

oh i thought somebody else picked it who thought it was 4 or higher. strange johnathan....

brandtweathers

2007 Comments

review is spot on.

completely agree. it only modestly struck me as a route they've navigated before in the closing minutes of "some seek forgiveness, others escape"

August 27th 2008

The test will be over time whether I can start to dig any of the songs I don't really like at all. The songs that are good to me are REALLY good.

brandtweathers

2007 Comments

I've never actually listened to Underoath so I should probably listen to this!

lol. you are a piece of work mike

August 27th 2008

Did Adam D produce the guitars again? If so i'll be satisfied because I rather enjoyed the heavieness on DTGL whether or not I listen to it often.This Message Edited On 08.27.08

The Jungler

will listen eventually.

August 27th 2008

The guitar tracks on this album are as well done as they were on DtGL