Cinematic Sunrise

good

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 25th, 2008 | 24 replies | 8,757 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Enjoyable enough not to be horrible.

When the name Craig Owens is mentioned there are two basic reactions that can take place. If you are a fourteen year old in a Bring Me the Horizon tee-shirt, your girlfriend's jeans, and cant wait for the return of the Warped Tour there's a good chance that you treat that name with the same level of respect and reverence that is normally reserved for someone with talent. If you are anyone else you'll cringe as your brain conjures up that one time when your friend put on Chiodos' Bone Palace Ballet on a drive to the beach and your spending the next 40 minutes clawing at the car window like a dog trying to escape from it's cage at the pound. When I was given Cinematic Sunrise's debut A Coloring Story Book And A Long-Playing Record I was gearing up for the latter reaction but to my surprise it turned out to be a generic, yet for the most part enjoyable, pop album.

Right off the bat it's obvious that Cinematic Sunrise play power-pop inspired radio ballads that come off as a cross between Something Corporate and All American Rejects. Nothing new is brought to the table with the instrumentation but thats not the point. When the band clicks A Cinematic Sunrise manage to pull off songs you can't help to nod your head to. Unfortunately the band only really clicks on the more upbeat tracks on the album. Our Honey Moon At Weston Hills is the perfect example of what the band could be if it left behind the hit or miss attempts at balladry that hinder the disc. Its constantly driving beat and catchy octaves create the perfect background for Craig Owen's voice that for the first time doesn't seem that annoying.

The one place where the band falls flat are the two piano ballads on the EP. The music presented on these tracks is horrendously banal, uninspired, and boring. The simple piano that is showcased for an attempt at intimacy and Craig's overpowering and unfitting vocals create what sounds like the bastard child of a junior high talent show and karaoke at at your local bar. Even though there are only two tracks with this style, with only six songs on the EP they are hard to overlook.

With A Coloring Story Book And A Long-Playing Record a Cinematic Sunrise have made an EP that you probably wont really remember after it ends, but while its playing offers a mostly enjoyable listen. And sure, this wont really make any new fans out of those who despise Owen's other works, but if they decide to drop the ballads they could easily score a hit with the Warped Tour crowd.

Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is
GridLink LonghenaComeback Kid Die Knowing
enjoimusiq (4.5)
A fantastic album that showcases the talents of both Craig Owens and Bradley Bell. Cinematic Sunrise...

trending alt & indie albums

Here and Nowhere Else

AM

Cope

St. Vincent

marksellsuswallets
August 25th 2008

I'm not 14, nor am I wearing a BMTH t-shirt, or my girlfriends jeans, and I happen to like Craig Owens sir...
Good review, though I can't say the same for the album...Craig Owens needs to stay away from pop music...Pulling A Piano From A Pond was alright, but thats about it really...

Willie
August 25th 2008

There was a time when I used to like Something Corporate and I would have probably liked this too, but not so much these days. Good Review.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

HighandDriving
August 25th 2008

I thought Chiodos was an attempt to please the kiddies?

Also that's an ugly cover art.

NOTINTHEFACE
August 25th 2008

This is more or less how i expected this to turn out. I've heard Umbrellas and Elephants and it didn't do much for me, although it was enjoyable enough not to be horrible. Very good review, by the way.

Athom
August 25th 2008

thanks for the positive feedback.

enjoyable enough not to be horrible

sums it up perfectly. you mind if i steal that?

highanddriving, damn you're right on that.This Message Edited On 08.25.08

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

Goku
August 25th 2008

Decently written review, but this album is rockin', it really strikes a chord with me. Maybe it is because I am from Detroit-ish where they are based, but it is fantastic. Craig Owens (yes I know every person hates him...) really does have a fantastic voice, even though me and my mates are always arguing about his screaming... I really hated him at first, I was like the biggest anti-chiodos person in the world, but they really have a unique sound.This Message Edited On 08.25.08

NOTINTHEFACE
August 25th 2008

Heh, not at all, though you seem to have done it anyways. It's all good, though, lol.

Athom
August 25th 2008

lol, sorry 'bout that. i tend to do things quickly, before i forget.

bowlermicah
August 25th 2008

i agree with the ballads part of this review, but i think the other songs on this cd make this cd up to a 3.5/4. really well written review though.

August 25th 2008

idk guys i really like craig

August 30th 2008

i think this is pretty great

Serpento
August 30th 2008

i've only heard weston hills and umbrellas & elephants, but both have kept my attention since i got them like a year ago so i have a good feeling about the rest.

G3LLISTER
September 25th 2008

This is one of the few poppier groups on my ipod because they may not be the original pop punkers but they do it so much better for me.

AbondonmenT
September 27th 2008

this is real pop. fuck metro station.

itserwinfersure
September 27th 2008

This band has so much potential! Hopefully they'll vary up their song structure, but it's still an enjoyable album. The review pretty much hits hit on the head.

ChristianPasaoa
February 24th 2009

Although a bit generic, I couldn't help but enjoy Cinematic Sunrise.

IMO, better than Chiodos.

cirq
June 13th 2009

i awkwardly enjoy this.. i like craig owens

toyour
October 18th 2009

I love cinematic sunrise but I don't enjoy craig owens by himself.
Too bad they don't plan on making music together anymore.

Foxhound
March 24th 2010

This album makes me want to puke.

kevin234
May 20th 2011

nice review. intros hilarious. posd