An Albatross

by Adam Thomas STAFF
August 24th, 2008 | 23 replies | 7,054 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Post-Grind-Disco-Sexy-Organ-Core

Blowout sales at music stores can have strange effects on people. Albums that you would normally write off in an instant somehow become “must buys” when they have a 20 percent-off sticker on them. During a final visit to Tower Records (RIP), An Albatross' Blessphemy...of the Peace Beast Feastgiver and the Bear Warp Kumite was one of these sale-induced purchases. Remembering that the band had toured with Daughters, and me (at the time) being an avid fan of Daughters, it seemed like a match made in heaven. I had no idea the aural cluster*** I was soon to behold.

If the album's title wasn't a clear give away, like most of the newer style of grind bands that have emerged over the last few years, An Albatross do not take themselves seriously. At all. But then again how could a Grindcore band who's distinguishing feature is the circus merry-go-round style organ that is showcased in nearly every song take themselves seriously in the first place? That being said, Blessphemy is a fun album. With its swirling “Flight of the Bumblebee” guitars, carnival romp derived organ, danceable drumming, and undecipherable screeching An Albatross have created a chaotic mess of an album that somehow, despite all the odds, works.

Even though the album as a whole works, there are some tracks that, despite their short running lengths, are just a chore to listen to. The most egregious of these is Sacred Geometry. Clocking in at almost four minutes long, it is one of the longer tracks on the album and it truly works to its detriment. The song remains stagnant and the 30 second bridge of static doesn't help to break up the monotony, it only ups the annoyance factor by multiples. Luckily these songs are lumped together on the latter half of the album so they are not detrimental to the frenzied pace that drives the first half of Blessphemy.

An Albatross is a band best received in short doses and the second half of the album is testament to this. The second half of the album just lacks the “umph” and creativity that is found on the preceding half. The ideas and main goals of the songs are the same but by the time that the second half rolls around it begins to sound derivative. The schizophrenic pace at which the first ten or so tracks develop is also lacking resulting in a repetitive mess that will garner a few welcomed presses of the fast forward button.

With Blessphemy...of the Peace Beast Feastgiver and the Bear Warp Kumite An Albatross have created a drug induced cavalcade of avant-garde Grindcore that, when its successful, displays a band that are willing to be fun, inventive and who live and die by the term SNAFU (Situation Normal: All ***ed Up). Luckily when it counts An Albatross are, for the most part, “on”.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
3.2
good

SHOOTME

Post-Grind-Disco-Sexy-Organ-Core

now that's what i am talking about...

sexy review.

bustyagunz
August 24th 2008

there have been so many reviews today..........
this is very good though, maybe a lil on the short side but pos from me

comity
August 24th 2008

is this the one in rescuers that flies them around so they can throwdown with that one bitch with the alligators

August 24th 2008

I've been hearing a lot that this is basically just a more boring Genghis Tron...is this true?

August 24th 2008

it would be if genghis tron dropped the electronica bits on "Cloak of Love" and replaced them with the soundtrack to Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey.

hmm...I guess I should check this out soon then...loves me some Genghis Tron

Iluvatar
August 24th 2008

this is not a more boring genghis tron at all
the last thing an albatross is is boring. derivative and useless maybe, but boring no

August 24th 2008

All the more reason I should check this out then...

natey

Useless is a good word

Iluvatar
August 24th 2008

haha yeah but they are such a fun band

August 24th 2008

ive always pictured that they would be a trip live

sub-bass
August 25th 2008

I need to get this. I love the Tross.

KritikalMotion
August 25th 2008

is this like cutting pink with knives? cos they're awesome.

August 25th 2008

I havent heard Cutting Pink With Knives but basically if you want to get a good idea of the album put on Daughter's Canada Songs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58qGg4p_tIY at the same time.

KritikalMotion

rofl^.

nah come to think of it cpwk are more synthpop/grind/screamo/special/shit

Comatorium.
June 15th 2009

Trip live is an understatement. they had fucking trapeze people and shit.

thebbqshrimp
July 8th 2009

Yeah, this band live is like a sensory overload. In a good way.

TRMshadow
January 30th 2010

I love this! what's with the 3.3 rating?

cirq
January 30th 2010

yay! i have a happy customer ;)

January 30th 2010

yay! i have more review comments ;)