Strid
Strid [7'']

by Steven Moore USER (24 Reviews)
August 15th, 2008 | 57 replies | 20,570 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Depressive" black metal before the hooooooooing and the crying

After undergoing several name changes, Storm, the sole member of the finally named Strid released his first demo entitled End of Life, and a 2 song self titled EP. Through these 2 albums Strid would play a vital role in pioneering the “depressive” black metal sub-genre. Although Strid by no means take the depressive black metal style to the same degree as many other bands in the future would (vocals that sound like crying, promo pictures including slit wrists) there is plenty of melancholy to be found on this EP.

The first track “Det Hviskes Blant Sorte Vinder” starts off with a very stereotypical intro including wind noises and other sounds; however this ends after a short 30 seconds and you are greeted with the tracks solemn sound. The basis of this track is actually led by a bass guitar melody played over simple guitar playing. This style was very unique at the time in black metal, and actually proves to be a good method of conveying emotion through the instrumentation. Throughout the song the bass guitar plays several different melodies as to keep you interested while still enjoying the mid paced somber tone of the track.

Vocally this album proves to be quite impressive. Storm has an affective painful sounding rasp, one that is powerful enough to convey emotion but not too intrusive as to disrupt the mood of the songs. The second song on this EP “Nattevandring” is structured very similarly to the first track with audible bass melodies and basic guitar playing. This track goes on for a bit longer than the first but doesn’t really drag due to a good amount of diversity. Percussion on this EP is very simple, throughout these two songs the drums mostly utilize simple snare beats and tom rolls. This style proves to be effective with the slower paced black metal, as blast beats in this type of black metal would be out of place and irritating.

Clocking in at a 14 and a half minutes, the Strid Self Titled EP leaves a bit to be desired, but is nevertheless an excellent piece of melancholic black metal that influenced many “depressive” black metal bands to come. Many groups have tried to convey the same emotions as Strid but either end up being extremely over the top or just exceptionally underwhelming. So if well produced, somber black metal sounds good to you, I highly recommend putting the Strid Self Titled EP on your download list.

Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesInquisition Into The Infernal Regions Of The Ancient
Drudkh EstrangementXasthur Subliminal Genocide
Emperor IX EquilibriumUlver Nattens Madrigal

sup

August 15th 2008

nm fool just wrote a review while i was bored on the airplane

Wizard
August 15th 2008

Slick review Angmar. Glad to see your reviewing again. EP sounds interesting.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

August 15th 2008

You can download it on this blog, you'll never be able to buy it.

August 15th 2008

Thought so, this looks uncommon. The name at first reminded me of a person with a very similar name but nice to see this isn't a solo album. Good review, i'll write this down and check out later.

August 15th 2008

lol did you think it was the soilwork guy

August 15th 2008

Strid means warrior in Norwegian, you'd definitely like this Balls.

Myrrhman

yeah he has a couple good songsThis Message Edited On 08.15.08

August 15th 2008

Yeah and these are them haha, the old pre-name change demo stuff sucks.

August 15th 2008

Yeah, actually I had a small thought that this was a solo project from Speed Strid, I wouldn't have a problem because I like Disarmonia Mundi and old Soilwork. Thanks for the translation angmar, i'm naming my kid Strid now. Also in the process of getting this now, black metal is a good pal of mine.

August 15th 2008

I'm assuming this is better than other depressive black metal like Xasthur.

August 15th 2008

Miles above pretty much anything considered Depressive black metal. But it sounds nothing like them, it doesn't need keyboards or ridiculous suicidal lyrics to sound "depressive"

Tyler
August 15th 2008

I could record myself taking a dump and it would be better than Xasthur.

That is very true.

August 15th 2008

Xasthur is pretty good, but not really that great. I'll probably check this out.

August 15th 2008

No you WILL check this out, because it's good black metal. Just get it off the blog I posted, it's a mediafire link and 2 songs ffs. :p

Ok I'm doing that now.

August 15th 2008

Well once again I dont know how the fuck to copy this shit onto itunes once its done downloading.

masscows

failure!

August 15th 2008

Do you have winrar? If you don't then get it here:

And use the program to extract the zip file you downloaded into a folder, and from there add the songs into your itunes.