Suffocation
Breeding the Spawn

by Nate B. USER (10 Reviews)
August 11th, 2008 | 208 replies | 15,723 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Suffocation's second full-length album, Breeding the Spawn is often regarded by the foolish as lacking in comparison to Suffocation's other early work. However, Breeding the Spawn does alot of things right and manages to set itself apart from Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced From Within quite a bit with a few touches unique to this album. In all actuality, this album would probably be held in even higher regard than Suffocation's other work if not for some small flaws.

One aspect that Breeding the Spawn succeeds in is its not-so-subtle incorporation of melodic sections. Whereas Effigy of the Forgotten used jagged and dissonant melody to add to its barbarism and brutality, and Pierced From Within used melody as a connective tool, Breeding the Spawn thrives on the fact that both of these melodic approaches are incorporated and also consonant "pleasant" melody is used frequently and to great effect. From the harmonized lead section in "Anomalistic Offering" to the jazzy bridges in "Beginning of Sorrow" and "Prelude to Repulsion", Suffocation succeeds at giving the songs the variety necessary to stay interesting throughout. Another huge plus is that the bass really gets a chance to shine through with several sections featuring the bass as lead instrument. These are most noticeable in the title track, "Epitaph of the Credulous", "Prelude to Repulsion" and "Ignorant Deprivation". The bass guitar in general is mixed very well and can be heard throughout, which for death metal is very important in order to give the riffs that extra low-end punch. Also, Suffocation's patented brutal doomy breaks are at their absolute best here, with each one bringing the ultimate headbanging glory and each one being very different from the next.

Though, like said before, Breeding the Spawn is not without its detractors. The most common complaint about this album is the production, and the complaints aren't without some basis. Sometimes the production leaves the riffing indistinct and only somewhat decipherable. During blasting sections especially, the riffing is pretty much degraded to completely indecipherable buzzing. This is probably in part because to begin with, Suffocation were trying to achieve a wall of sound effect with simplistic, percussive riffing to accompany the blastbeats, but the production essentially strips away the melodic value of said blasting sections. Also, the guitars on "Epitaph of the Credulous" and "Ignorant Deprivation" sound like they were recorded through a cardboard tube, leaving an odd and constant buzzing above the guitars themselves. The mix is reasonably clear albeit lacking distinction, in the end sounding more like a well-produced demo than a studio album. Now, are these wholly bad things? No, not at all. Actually, the production is another thing about Breeding the Spawn that really adds to its uniqueness within Suffocation's catalog, and it enhances the presentation of the music by giving it a raw and primitive sense of aggression that death metal should be aiming for.

All in all, Breeding the Spawn is just as good if not better than Suffocation's other classics, and is definitely worth picking up for fans who may have heard the wrong opinion that the production makes it unlistenable (where that notion came from is a mystery to me) and took it seriously. Minor 'flaws' aside, Breeding the Spawn is an excellent example of death metal done right and would make a worthy addition to any metal collection.

Arghoslent Hornets of the PogromArsis We Are the Nightmare
Belphegor Bondage Goat ZombieBelphegor Pestapokalypse VI
Behemoth The ApostasyBolt Thrower Those Once Loyal
Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
An overlooked gem...

Aaron Rookard (4)
Excellence overlooked by poor production....

Yazz_Flute
August 11th 2008

Just got Pierced From Within yesterday, i was suprised to see this had no ratings.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Wizard

19206 Comments

2/2 with solid reviews over the last couple of days masscows. So now I have to fork some more money over for this too, huh?

I gave Pierced from Within a listen last night and I was mighty impressed. Looking forward to hearing this as well!

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

combustion07

I love this album

August 11th 2008

thanks for votes guys, and yeah if you like Suffocation's other stuff there's no reason you won't like this.

i like you masscows

August 11th 2008

good, you never know when it'll be handy to have an insectoid superhero for a friend

beans
August 11th 2008

i like suffocation but i have yet to hear this, very nice review, i will be checkin this out

IAmInsect

i like you masscows
no one on mx likes me

Myrrhman
August 11th 2008

you use the word "riffing" too much but otherwise this review is good

no one on mx likes me

What you want chanadam to like you? Hahahahaha.

Crysis
August 11th 2008

Pierced From Within is awesome, I'll check this out too. Nice review.

August 11th 2008

first of all we are facebook friends rizzo which counts for a lot

second of all taylor wtf is chanadam

Myrrhman

BLAME CHANADA

lol "Facebook Friends"
chanadam is you my dear.

August 11th 2008

yeah but where did you get that

also are you a girl

August 11th 2008

Where did I get it - I made it up.
lmao! I couldn't be any more female then you.

so you are a girl

BurlySlayerFan
August 11th 2008

Decent review. That's the second Suffocation review in a few days, everyone loooves Suffocation.

August 11th 2008

Why have you got your hopes up all of a sudden, are you missing the touch of estrogen or something. Lemme break it down for ya: I A.M N.O.T. A. G.I.R.L. Period. (excuse the pun)
Also, where's your impostor disappeared to?

August 11th 2008

who the fuck negged this and didnt give a reason why