Hinder

very poor

by Davey Boy STAFF
August 7th, 2008 | 24 replies | 9,415 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A one-trick pony of an album performed by a 3rd rate 1980's hair band rip-off. Simple, dull & repetitive.

Some bands suffer a backlash when becoming popular or having a successful hit single. Other bands get criticized for pandering to the mainstream populous. And then there are bands who are hated if they perform dated and derivative music. American band Hinder tick all 3 boxes on their debut album 'Extreme Behavior' and then go looking for more just to annoy us. They really do deserve the negative response they receive!

Right from the opening "Woh Woh's" of lead single and album opener 'Get Stoned', the pattern is clear to see; Hinder perform simple and dull pieces that remind one of a 3rd rate 1980's hair band. The C Graders may have got their 15 minutes of fame back then, but surely they should not a quarter of a century later! There is nothing original here and the semblance of catchiness that comes with it is nothing to write home about at all. Let us not forget the lyrics: “Go home, Get Stoned, Coz the sex is so much better when you’re mad at me”. Criminal... In more ways than one!

Fans of the band must seriously not be actually listening to the lyrics throughout this album. Firstly, the repetitiveness of themes is near unbelievable as almost every song concerns a bad or broken relationship and how the male partner acts in the circumstances. Worldwide smash hit 'Lips Of An Angel' is another great example as this was a song which seemed to be predominantly a hit with the female population. Lord knows how, as this anything but traditional love song seems to be basically condoning infidelity. One band Hinder are often compared to is NickelBack and it is not just because of the bland musicianship, but also the arguably offensive and sexist lyrics which both groups use.

The music performed on this album is so mind-numbingly simple that there is no point even attempting to listen for any kind of variation. This is apparent as early as track 2, the oh so safe 3rd single 'How Long'. It's just the same thing over and over again; Dated soft-rock that embarrassingly begs for radio airplay with only slight changes in pace, as can be seen on the slower 2nd single 'Better Than Me'. There is a reason why Hinder keep on performing the same song over and over though and it can be found on track 7 'Room 21'. The band belatedly try to perform some variety by attempting to make this a genuine rocker. But maybe it was best that they did not try, as they show their true colors here and completely botch it… So badly in fact, that it’s practically difficult to listen to. Penultimate track 'Homecoming Queen' isn't much better.

Looking for positives is tough. Admittedly, there is a kind of a sing-along quality to tracks such as 'Lips Of An Angel' and 'Better Than Me', while some may find a guilty pleasure kind of melody hidden amongst the monotony of 'Nothin Good About Goodbye' and 'Bliss'. Closer 'Shoulda' also bears mentioning as there is an edginess to it which sticks out amongst the rest of this drivel. Then again, that wouldn't at all be difficult and maybe the fact that the listener has finally reached the end of the album is the real positive to it.

This is a one-trick pony of an album. Not because it has only one good song, but it only has one style of music throughout. Hinder would be better off just releasing singles as a few of their songs could work in isolation, but show how dated and repetitive the group is in album format. With there only being 10 tracks, it is apparent there is no depth to Hinder’s catalogue, but it also proves the group’s lack of substance. And whatever variation there is here is minimal, while any experimentation fails miserably.

Recommended Tracks: Lips Of An Angel & Shoulda.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Fanfarlo Let's Go ExtinctAbandon All Ships Malocchio
poor
Green Baron (1.5)
The American Nickelback....

clairvoyant (1)
Mainstream rock band Hinder produces an utter pile of crap with their debut album, 'Extreme Behavior...

vodkasout (4.5)

SHOOTME
August 7th 2008

These guys are pretty damn awful, I don't know how in hell you even got through the whole album.

Good review though.

taylormemer
August 7th 2008

Ugh. Don't get me started. I hate the guy's detuned voice to try and make him sound more manly in choruses. Its pathetic.
Worst band ever.

willfellmarsy
August 7th 2008

idk guys Lips of an Angel is a pretty sick track (and by sick track i mean i would listen to hinder and hinder alone for the rest of my life if i got to bang the girl in the video)(the girl from entourage)

20807 Comments

You know what's worse Maxwell (SHOOTME), I make sure I listen to an album quite a few times in different settings before I even contemplate writing a review on it. As you say, getting through this is really tough, especially when 'Room 21' comes along. I am almost certain that's why they put 'Lips of an Angel' directly after it, so fans of that song would listen to the album through to the end!
Good point TAYLORMEMER. I didn't really speak on the vocals in the review, but like all other characteristics of the album, there is very little variety. And yes, his voice seems to have been played with a little to give that raspy kind of sound on occasions.
WILLFELLMARSY, you are selling your soul (& your ears) with that comment. LOL!

Chewie
August 7th 2008

god, i had actually had forgotten about this band for a while, thanks a lot.

20807 Comments

DEREK, I sincerely apologize for bringing back bad memories.
SPENCER, this was indeed the closest I have come to handing out a rating of 1.

Epilogue

tits

Akira
August 13th 2008

If I just listen to the music of Lips of an Angel, I actually really like it, albeit in a guilty pleasure sort of way. I like the melody and the guitars.

Then I remember that he is not only singing about cheating on his girlfriend, but doing so with horrendous lyrics ("I gotta whisper 'cause I can't be too loud") and I can't really like it anymore.

August 13th 2008

20807 Comments

Yeah Akira, there are glimpses of melody throughout this album and that's probably what kept me from rating it a 1. But the lyrics & variation on the 10 tracks almost justified the lower rating!

Akira
August 14th 2008

Yeah. I enjoy the song, but I wouldn't really want to listen to it ten times in a row.

20807 Comments

Listening to anything by Hinder 10 times in a row would be dangerous for your health.

Romulus
October 8th 2009

Or just listening in the first place

20807 Comments

Hehe. Everything can be listened to ONCE Romulous.

Romulus

Famous last words Davey.

BrahTheSunGod
October 8th 2009

"Ok, so going by the 'Comments', the 2 best things about this album are (1) the chick on the album cover, and (2) the chick in the video for the lead single. I think that pretty much sums up the music on this album!"

So much WIN in this sentence

EasternLight
October 8th 2009

ya know how you can tell how shitty an album is, when the track names blow as much as these do

20807 Comments

Romulous, don't you be one of those people with good memories & the annoing ability to requote! Haha.

Come on Eastern Light, look at the subtlety of 'Get Stoned'.

DegausserGuernica24
April 20th 2013

I still can't believe NASCAR on TNT used that horrendous cover of Born to Be Wild as opposed to using the original song.

toxin.
April 20th 2013

your first mistake is watching nascar