Arghoslent
Hornets of the Pogrom

by Nate B. USER (10 Reviews)
August 7th, 2008 | 53 replies | 5,339 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Over forty minutes of aural genocide that will rouse us whites to take up arms for the good of our race!

To arms, my brothers! Arghoslent is here to lead us in our plight to quell the simian surge of political correctness and racial equality yet again with their 2008 opus, Hornets of the Pogrom. Arghoslent never were a band to follow the path laid down in front of them, even going so far as to proclaim themselves as an 'arrogant band', and Hornets of the Pogrom continues their legacy of arrogance and bigotry with not only some of the best death metal I've heard in a long time, but also easily one of the best death metal albums of the decade thus far.

I know it's been said a million times, but Arghoslent plays a very unique brand of death metal, owing as much to blues and traditional heavy metal as it does to early 90's style death metal. This gives them alot of room to explore off of the previously trodden path, and they most definitely use the expanses of all of their influences to the fullest and most fitting potential here, from the crushing death metal riffs to the bluesy solos to the galloping heavy metal rhythms and melody. Each song is completely memorable and different from the last while keeping their same signature style intact, and each one feels like its own epic journey through historical events that were shoved under the rug and forgotten.

Pretty much everything about Hornets of the Pogrom is a vast improvement on Arghoslent's already winning formula they explored on their previous releases. The songwriting, riffs, vocals, lyrics, drumming, literally everything is completely flawless and top-notch. Instead of each song being simply a collection of riffs flowing through each other, essentially a 'riff salad' like on their other releases, the songs seem to be structured much more logically and with thematic continuity in mind. For instance, in "Swill of the Knaves", each riff builds off of the opening one in a thematically sensible way and the song flows perfectly from one movement to the next. Also, my personal favorite track, "The Nubian Archer" completely rewrites the book on how to write a song, showing how well Arghoslent pays attention to buildup, climax, letdown, dynamics and general ass-kickery. The drumming and vocals are the essential pieces holding the songs together, both performed impeccably and fitting with the intensity of the riffs. The vocals, performed by the Genocider, deliver the extremely well-written lyrics with passion and conviction not previously heard of, with close attention paid to annunciation while remaining guttural as hell. The drums, like said before, always compliment the riffs well, with a mix of blastbeats and lots of creative, yet simple beats that add alot to the songs.

I could go on for hours but you get the point. Hornets of the Pogrom is one of the best death metal albums I've heard and is among the top death metal albums released this decade. Arghoslent have proven to their politically correct detractors with Hornets of the Pogrom that despite their 'radical' ideologies ('gimmicks' as some say), they still write music that exceeds all previous standards of quality and stands completely on its own. Hail Arghoslent!

Suffocation Breeding the SpawnArsis We Are the Nightmare
Belphegor Bondage Goat ZombieBelphegor Pestapokalypse VI
Behemoth The ApostasyBolt Thrower Those Once Loyal
someguest (4.5)
Engaging melodic death metal....

Tyler Munro EMERITUS (4.5)
Riffs so good you'll forgive these guys for their highly intolerant ideologies....

IAmInsect
August 7th 2008

still don't see the appeal of these guys

SynGates
August 7th 2008

Good review. This album is out of this world.
I like Manacled Freightage the most though.

August 7th 2008

I like Manacled Freightage the most though.
yeah, the opening line in that is like, wow I want to go whip some slaves now

DBlitz

awesome album

joshuatree
August 7th 2008

ive got this, but have only listened to the first few tracks. need to listen more

Eliminator

2067 Comments

pretty unnecessary reviewThis Message Edited On 08.07.08

Doppelganger
August 7th 2008

Yeah review is kind of unnecessary. It's good but it's nothing that hasn't been stated in Tyler's.

Also, Manacled Freightage and Oracle of the Malefic Rhizome are the best. Don't get much of the love for Swill of the Knaves, it's really the only song on here I don't care for.

August 7th 2008

I find it funny how seriously they take their lyrical "message" in interviews. Still this sh*t is catchy as f*ck.

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

Doppelganger
August 7th 2008

it's serious shit, you undesirable

"Ill-suited for leadership
Nature bestowed her foulest pigmentation upon them much like a scar"

This Message Edited On 08.07.08

August 7th 2008

you left out the first line

better now

that's my favorite lyric on the album

August 7th 2008

Its like a history book come to life!

August 7th 2008

it invokes clear imagery of a proud white man watching over his slaves in the fields from horseback

those were the days...

indeed!

Thor

racism omg

album is kinda overrated on here

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

beans

its still really good

Eliminator

2067 Comments

wow yeah, 3.8 average rating. really overrated.

AngelPhoenix
August 8th 2008

[quote=IAmInsect]still don't see the appeal of these guys[/quote]