Suffocation
Pierced from Within

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
August 5th, 2008 | 552 replies | 40,901 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Faster than a speeding bullet, deeper than my poetry, this album fucking slays.

Suffocation has a lot in common with Faith No More. Faith No More lit a fire under the butts of the alt-metal world, farting out a funky concocted "rap metal" sound that went on to be shortchanged by a shortbus full of tattooed red hat wearing douchebags. In an alternate dimension, Suffocation were pillaging the death metal world with their blatantly New York aesthetic; a sound ripe with gluttonous technicality, hate filled breakdowns and drummer Mike Smith's eponymous "Smith-beats" [blastbeats to the un-elite laymen] and now we have bands like Despised Icon and Dying Fetus -- I'm sure you can fill in the stuff that went on in between.

Replete with a low end so throbbing it's bound to shock the bowels of all who listen to it, calling Pierced from Within "heavy" would be doing it a disservice. Released in 1995 to an audience of lesser talented musicians who'd go on to make a career in ripping it off (Muhammed Suicmez instantly comes to mind), Pierced from Within took the angry and volatile death metal brought to life on Effigy of the Forgotten and added on a thick layer off bile and hatred, which basically means that it's bigger, faster, stronger and heavier. Mike Smith let Doug Bohn "borrow" his invention and with it Bohn pounds the skins with such intensity that it can only be truly explained in bad "metalphors" and cheap puns. Frank Mullen's growls are animalistic, pissed off and occasionally intelligible. Doug Cerrito and Terrance Hobbs manage to combine chuggy breakdowns, technical shredwork and thrashy, hardcore infused riffs that slice alongside the album's most distinguished element: the invasive, unavoidably awesome but wholly polarizing bass playing. Saying Chris Richards is fully utilized on the album is a gross understatement; with only four-to-six strings, Richards makes his bass play a dual role as it adding to the album's rib-rattling low end as well as contributing to its technical slant.

Faster than a speeding bullet, deeper than my poetry and with more shred, juns and breakdowns than you can shake a stick at, Pierced from Within is an absolutely essential component of death metal canon, if not for its crushing brutality and technical propensity than certainly for its sheer, clear influence on not just death metal, but metal as a whole.

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science
4.4
Greenman (5)
"Pierced from Within" is Suffocation's magnum opus, displaying their sheer, unadulterated brutality ...

circleofdeadchildren (5)

August 5th 2008

the other review for this sucked (worse than this one) so I wrote a short and immature one really fast.

Thor
August 5th 2008

It's a bit too short, but it's wayyyyy better than the previous one. Boo for the shot at Suicmez, but an otherwise funny and solid review.

Thrones of Blood for the motherfucking win.

this or ceremony?

August 5th 2008

It's long enough whatever. There isn't much to say and there isn't any reason to point out individual songs because they're basically all a variation on the same awesome sound.

August 5th 2008

brandtweathers why the hell are you askign that question

because he's an idiot

Polaris
August 5th 2008

Wondering about the relevance of that statement myself.

But yeah, I've always been intrigued by Suffocation, but i've never really bothered with looking into them. I probably will now.

2007 Comments

why is that a ridiculous question?
wondering what you preferred
edit: and wondering which to put first on dl orderThis Message Edited On 08.05.08

August 5th 2008

You can get the "Two from the Vault" release of this that comes with Effigy of the Forgotten for like 10 bucks.

charlesfishtitz

this or human waste?

August 5th 2008

not gonna lie suffocation do rule a lot

Lunarfall
August 5th 2008

They're really lacking reviews here though.

August 5th 2008

Which is why I did this one real quick. I'm gunna do a bunch more really short ones for albums that need reviews. Gonna review Desultory tomorrow.

seriously tho tyler
do you have a preference bt the two bc im having trouble finding both

nocturnus

UnderFlames
August 5th 2008

Good review, never got into Suffocation.

August 5th 2008

tyler has barely heard any ceremony.

Athom
August 5th 2008

Nice, short and to the point. Excellent album too. I wish their newer stuff lived up to this.

thx

August 5th 2008

Souls to Deny was pretty bad but I remember the s/t being at least decent. They've apparently got a new one coming out this year.