Judas Priest
Screaming for Vengeance

by Priestmetal USER (20 Reviews)
June 27th, 2005 | 10 replies

Release Date: 1982 | Tracklist

This is Judas Priest's 7th studio release and is one of their more popular albums (along with British Steel, Hell Bent for Leather, and Painkiller). Despite its popularity, it still has some heavier songs that could be associated with Defenders of the Faith or even Painkiller. It also has some very "radio friendly" ones. Like most Priest albums, the lyrics are not very good but K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton's prowess makes up for it with wonderful solos and smooth catchy fills.

Judas Priest were:

Rob Halford: Lead vocals
Glenn Tipton: Lead guitars
K.K. Downing: Lead guitars
Ian Hill: Bass guitar
Dave Holland: Drums

Track by track:

Hellion/ Electric Eye: The Hellion is just an intro to Electric Eye so I will review these tracks together. Hellion is a great intro it sounds kinda epic with those guitar harmonies. Then, WHAM! Electric eye starts. Classic Priest riff with the palm muting moderatly fast and all. They usually open their concerts with this song. 4.5/5

Riding on the wind: A catchy song with a drum intro with some effect that sounds like flanger... but for drums. I think this song is about riding a motorcycle and going fast and what not. As i emntioned this song is catchy but there is nothing spectacular to it. 3.5/5

Bloodstone: Guitar intro that sounds great. No second guitar harmony though if Im not mistaken. My friend told me this song is about nuclear warfare but i dont see how. This song is more "groovy" than any other JP song.

(Take These) Chains: A slower song and a cover. I don'y know who originally wrote it though. A very cathcy chorus. I dunno if this was a single but its very radio friendly sounding. The song has to do with women or a woman(or a man for Rob's case) who are cruel. 4/5

Pain and Pleasure: This song is alot like (Take These) Chains. The lyrics are somewhat similar, its simple and catchy. This one isnt as soft though.

Screaming for Vengeance: This song is great. Strong intro with a wild scream from Mr Halford. Probably the heaviest, fastest, and best song on the album. What a great name for a song/album too. 5/5

You've Got Another Thing Comin': OK this is THE single from Judas Priest. This song is the most imporatnt catalyst in Priest's fame. Its not a perfect song but its a perfect single. Catchy riffs, catchy singing and lyrics, melodic appropriate solo. When I saw them in concert they closed with this song. A very uplifting song. 4.5/5

Fever: Another slow one. Personally I dont like this song too much and I havnt listened to it in a while so I dont have too much info on it. Its defently skipable. 2.5/5.

Devil's Child: A powerful album closer. The intro sounds like AC/DC but super HEAVY. then the drums, bass and vocals come in. the chorus doesnt make sence though lyrically. "I believe your the devil, I believe your the Devil's child". o well... 4.5/5

This is one of my favorite Judas Priest albums and is, as albums go, a rather good one. I wouldnt call it a classic though. Some people might but thats just their opinion.

Alice in Chains FaceliftJudas Priest British Steel
Rainbow Ritchie Blackmore's RainbowFaith No More The Real Thing
Ozzy Osbourne Diary of a MadmanMercyful Fate Melissa
Mike Stagno EMERITUS (3.5)

Matthijs van der Lee (4.5)
Priest mixes mainstream with metal and create one of the best albums of their career....

sonictheplumber STAFF (4)
Although it's a little inconsistent, it's still worth listening to for even casual fans of Priest....

Kenneth E. Rathburn (4)
Easily one of the most accessible yet vigorously metal albums, the Priest managed to create a decept...

June 27th 2005

good stuff
pretty good review

June 27th 2005

Where did that other guys comment go??? Strange...

July 6th 2005

Judas Priest blows.

August 2nd 2005

It was Ceili Rain that wrote '(take these) chains' I think.
Good review.

August 2nd 2005

o ok thanks dude.

Apocalyptic Raids
February 27th 2006

Awesome album.

The Hellion/Electric Eye is one of Priest's best songs.

south_of_heaven 11
March 17th 2006

i can only find this cd online...all stores around me suck...good review, once again

March 23rd 2006

Well, I don't agree with your opinion on "Fever". It's a quite good song, with a rather catchy chorus, and a very good bridge. I'd say it's NOT a skipable track.

Saxon Priest
May 14th 2006

Fever is a great song I'll always listen to it. Actually I'm surprised at all your ratings, especially that you didn't give one single track a 5.

This is one of the "Big Three" I'd say, an essential purchase for any fan of Priest probably my joint favourite.

August 12th 2006

Just bought this album:D

I always gotta hear an album twice before I start to love it. This stuff is great, but somehow I don't like the titletrack. But it has nice riffs and Rob's scream on the start of the song is amazing!

4,5,6 are my favourites. Solid review.

So this is probably their last album before the heavyness (Defenders of the Faith) right?This Message Edited On 08.12.06This Message Edited On 08.21.06